"Keep The Merry, Dump The Myth!"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You cannot be that ignorant can you? The message is basically equating Jesus with Bigfoot.

Their message is a statement of their belief he is a myth. Saying you don't believe in something is insulting to those that do? We should all feel insulted and are insulting others, amazing.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Their message is a statement of their belief he is a myth. Saying you don't believe in something is insulting to those that do? We should all feel insulted and are insulting others, amazing.

I will not join your trollathon. If you cannot understand why Christians are upset over this there is no reason to carry this discussion any further. Good night.

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    Please note all off the other holidays associated with this time that predate Christianity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice
    Axial tilt is the reason for the season. Just because someone is offended, doesn't make them right i.e. Muslims vs the muhammad video. Also, Hitler was so religious he wanted to be a priest when he was young, he was far from a moral person.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    To be fair, Christians typically do cry wolf often. The whole "in god we trust on money" and god mentioned in the pledge of allegiance etc. Are all things added after the fact, yet you mention taking it out and off and they act like its always been there or something and its just unthinkable to remove it. Then I look at how paganism and Christianity have blended, seeing halos in paintings, Easter celebrated, Dec 25, the use of an evergreen. The list goes on and on. Christians are the new kids on the block and they are just trying to cement their validity and often it just seems defensive and.hypersensitive. at least, that's how they usually come across to me.

That said, you know the billboard is trying to start a pissing match.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I don't think you know what an atheist is exactly...

How so? What in my statement makes you think that?

Why? We interact with those who believe that he is real, and it helps to understand them. Also, many of us are reformed believers. Further, the topic of a higher power is undeniably interesting regardless of your stance.

My comment wasn't really directed at all Atheists (but you didn't know that). I know many who are really great people. I was really just thinking about some on another forum that spend an awful lot of time talking about God and provoking those that believe. The sign in the OP just made me think about it. There are quite a few Atheists who spend a great deal of time trying to tear down the beliefs of others instead of a "just let live" attitude..... But hey Christians often don't do that either. :rofl:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I will not join your trollathon. If you cannot understand why Christians are upset over this there is no reason to carry this discussion any further. Good night.

Your reaction to me is the same as the billboard, that's funny. Someone doesn't agree with you so they are trolling. Honestly Charles, I would be on your side if the billboard said anything but myth. If it said joke, or baby killer, or whatever, I'd agree entirely. Myth simply isn't a negative word, so its hard for me to see it as disrespectful.

Goat and jwg are saying exactly what I'm thinking.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Insulting people's religious beliefs is wrong. We are not saying he should not have the right to say it. Just that he is insulting and offending Christians. What is not puzzling is your response.
    I disagree.

I don't think 'religion' is some 'safe card' that leaves you free from ridicule. If you believe stupid stuff, you can and probably will get called on it. How many of you would hold true to the same "insulting people's religious beliefs is wrong" if it was a billboard against witchcraft or paganism or something like that?

I'm thinking no one watched the Neil deGrasse Tyson speech. That is why people care about those who get fanatical about religion. Because in every other society, when religion took over, progress ceased.

"Christ is the reason for Christmas" /is/ a myth. If anything, many more religions should be insulted by /that/ given that past churches so boldly "stole" the day from "competing" religions and traditions.

532598_10152333313870052_485451106_n.jpg

-----and let's not forget one thing we can all agree on, no matter what side you're on... F*ck the Westboro Baptist Church :D (the great uniting issue)

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    How so? What in my statement makes you think that?

The entire statement makes me think that. There is no atheist church because there is no atheist religion. Perhaps there's a meeting place for them but it's not a church as a church is a place of worship. Also atheists do spend a lot of time thinking about the possibility of God. Most people like yourself believe that atheists make the statement "there is no God". It's 100% false. The majority of atheists are agnostic atheists who make the statement "at this moment in time, it is impossible to know if there is a God or not, but if evidence shows the existence of God then there is one". They spend a great deal of time going through the hundreds of thousands of religions out there seeing if any of them show any evidence and a great deal of time with philosophical theories.

The fact of the matter is we have always questioned the meaning of life since we developed intelligence. We will continue to question the meaning of life for the rest of our existence. It's part of being self aware. There are those that will settle on the religion they grew up with to give them all the answers and there are those who will continue to question. And there are those like the guy who put up the billboard (a very small minority) that want to push their beliefs onto other people and be a complete douchebag. Same type of person that would probably be knocking on your door at 6am on a sunday if he was a Jehovah's Witness. Same type of person that would be a suicide bomber if he was a radical Muslim. Same type of person that would be blowing up abortion clinics if he was a Christian. The religion (or lack thereof) does not define the person, the actions do.

But keep on putting atheists into this imaginary box you've created for them. They're evil soulless people with no morals who want to convert all your children to the devil's ways.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    While I disagree with their message, I support their freedom to believe what they believe and advertise the way they want. Just like Mormons can make their TV commercials, Jehova's witnesses can pass out their pamphlets, Scientologists can do whatever they do, Christians can put up pictures of aborted babies, etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom