Louisiana Constitutional Carry Bills Pass.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    §18. Gubernatorial Action on Bills; Sign, Failure to Sign, Veto; Veto Session

Section 18.(A) Gubernatorial Action. If the governor does not approve a bill, he may veto it. A bill, except a joint resolution, shall become law if the governor signs it or if he fails to sign or veto it within ten days after delivery to him if the legislature is in session on the tenth day after such delivery, or within twenty days after delivery if the tenth day after delivery occurs after the legislature is adjourned.

(B) Veto Message. If the governor vetoes a bill, he shall return it to the legislature, with his veto message within twelve days after delivery to him if the legislature is in session. If the governor returns a vetoed bill after the legislature adjourns, he shall return it, with his veto message, as provided by law.

(C) Veto Session. (1) A bill vetoed and returned and subsequently approved by two-thirds of the elected members of each house shall become law. The legislature shall meet in veto session in the state capital at noon on the fortieth day following final adjournment of the most recent session, to consider all bills vetoed by the governor. If the fortieth day falls on Sunday, the session shall convene at noon on the succeeding Monday. No veto session shall exceed five calendar days, and any veto session may be finally adjourned prior to the end of the fifth day upon a vote of two-thirds of the elected members of each house.

(2) No veto session shall be held if a majority of the elected members of either house declare in writing that a veto session is unnecessary. The declaration must be received by the presiding officer of the respective houses at least five days prior to the day on which the veto session is to convene.

Acts 1989, No. 841, §1, approved Oct. 7, 1989, eff. Nov. 7, 1989.
    Great info! Thank you for posting!

section C describes a veto session to be held 40 days after adjournment so long as the majority of legislators don’t vote to forego this session. This would be the opportunity to override a Governor’s veto. Anyone know when the session officially ends?

edit: looks like June 10th

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Today's House Committee on Administration of Criminal Justice meeting cancelled! SB118 was on the agenda!

Interestingly, that is the only Committee meeting cancelled thus far?!?

Maybe the anti-gun activists with their canned and scripted responses can't make it to the Capitol due to flooding?!? Might even be that Murphy Paul and the State Trooper representing the La. Sheriffs Assn. (who have no faith in black Louisianans acting responsible around firearms (essentially, their words)), have to work the flood!

Last edited:

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    Today's House Committee on Administration of Criminal Justice meeting cancelled! SB118 was on the agenda!

Interestingly, that is the only Committee meeting cancelled thus far?!?

Maybe the anti-gun activists with their canned and scripted responses can't make it to the Capitol due to flooding?!? Might even be that Murphy Paul and the State Trooper representing the La. Sheriffs Assn. (who have no faith in black Louisianans acting responsible around firearms (essentially, their words)), have to work the flood!
    Unreal. I hope that this doesn’t stop SB118 from moving forward.

The House also passed HB596 which is sitting in Senate Committee. I assume either one of these bills make it out of each respective chamber and they will head to the Governor’s desk, correct?

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Unreal. I hope that this doesn’t stop SB118 from moving forward.

The House also passed HB596 which is sitting in Senate Committee. I assume either one of these bills make it out of each respective chamber and they will head to the Governor’s desk, correct?

It won't! This is not a deferral or withdrawn Bill. Not sure why the cancelled for certain, but it will be re-scheduled. Don't be surprised if I turn out to be somewhat right on why they cancelled though! ;)

As for the future of them; as long as they pass (out of these committees), and then the respective chambers without amendments they will reach the Govs. desk. They are definitely at the halfway point in the process!

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    It won't! This is not a deferral or withdrawn Bill. Not sure why the cancelled for certain, but it will be re-scheduled. Don't be surprised if I turn out to be somewhat right on why they cancelled though! ;)

As for the future of them; as long as they pass (out of these committees), and then the respective chambers without amendments they will reach the Govs. desk. They are definitely at the halfway point in the process!
    Looks like they rescheduled for today! You are probably right about the weather being the excuse to cancel. I have seen the anti-2A crowd in action at hearings before (not in this state, though)

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    SB118 Passes Committee 7-4

All nays were black democrats! Why?

And the disdain from them! As if this measure was intended to eradicate their race from the planet.

It would be mind boggling to me if I didn't already know this is only about their control over blacks in general.

Last edited:

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    SB118 Passes Committee 7-4

All nays were black democrats! Why?

And the disdain from them! As if this measure was intended to eradicate their race from the planet.

It would be mind boggling to me if I didn't already know this is only about their control over blacks in general.

Great news that this came out of Committee!

I think that the problem is with Dem politicians in general, regardless of race.

I do question why the NAACP continues to oppose 2A at every turn when the folks that they allegedly represent would stand to benefit from freedoms like Constitutional Carry

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Great news that this came out of Committee!

I think that the problem is with Dem politicians in general, regardless of race.

I do question why the NAACP continues to oppose 2A at every turn when the folks that they allegedly represent would stand to benefit from freedoms like Constitutional Carry

The NAACP is in lockstep with the Democratic Party . Logic is irrelevant .

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Status of SB118 now says *pending legislative bureau*. Does anyone know what this means relative to a vote on the House Floor?

http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/BillInfo.aspx?s=21RS&b=SB118&sbi=y

A group composed of two members of the Legislature, one selected by each house, and ex officio, the secretary of the Senate, the clerk of the House, and unofficially the executive director of the Legislative Bureau. Bills, joint resolutions, and suspense resolutions are referred to the bureau prior to advancement to third reading in the second house. The bureau makes an advisory report on the construction of the instrument and any duplication and may suggest amendments. The bureau also must examine each instrument upon its engrossment and passage to third reading in the house of origin and make recommendations for floor amendments. (Joint Rule No. 3 and House Rules 7.20, 8.19, and 11.4 and Senate Rule 10.15)

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I hate to pop ya'll bubble....
    This is just smoke and mirrors
    If the senate passes and sends it the JBE he VETOS it..

They will not over ride his veto They'll just throw up their hands and go back to politicking and say
    "well, we tried"
    "vote me back in and next time we'll try again "

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I hate to pop ya'll bubble....
    This is just smoke and mirrors
    If the senate passes and sends it the JBE he VETOS it..

They will not over ride his veto They'll just throw up their hands and go back to politicking and say
    "well, we tried"
    "vote me back in and next time we'll try again "

You're likely not wrong, but it can't be passed one day if they don't try to pass it...

FWIW, I don't plan to cut up my permit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom