Louisiana Constitutional Carry Bills Pass.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    I called the gov office and left a message as well. Waiting patiently to see what happens.

Won't have to wait much longer. I think that Edwards has to veto by 6/24 or it becomes law.

I am sending postcards to lawmakers to urge them to override the veto should it come to that.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    Guy flat out said it was allowed to pass on the 14th. News to me…

It becomes law 10 days after it goes to the Gov's desk, assuming that the Legislature is still in session on the 10th day (Jun 14th).

Since the Legislature finished up its session on 6/11, the Gov has 20 days to sign or veto before it becomes law. The 24th (this coming Thursday) is the deadline.

State-By-State Guide To Gubernatorial Veto Types | Connectivity (cq.com)

Louisiana: Governor must veto bills within 10 days after *transmittal* from legislature or they automatically become law. That time frame is extended to 20 days for bills adopted during the last 10 days of a regular legislative session or presented to the governor after adjournment. Legislators can call a special session to override a veto with a 2/3rd vote of both chambers.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA

Kdjohn1

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 10, 2019
    St. Francisville
    Am I wrong in my understanding that a special veto session is automatically put in motion if the governor vetos any bills, and that the legislature would vote 2/3 to cancel that session?

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Based on an email I received from Danny McCormick I believe a special overide session has to be called. He was asking for support in calling for one

Rovpilot337

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Jennings, La
    So is tomorrow 6/23 the last day he has to screw around? Or, does he have the 24th as well? Just trying to figure out if he has to sign or veto by the end of the 23rd or end of the 24th?

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    So is tomorrow 6/23 the last day he has to screw around? Or, does he have the 24th as well? Just trying to figure out if he has to sign or veto by the end of the 23rd or end of the 24th?
    Great question. My guess would be that he would have the 24th to veto and that it would become law on the 25th with no action

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I think that he feels more strongly about the high school transgender ban than this bill. If he simply lets Constitutional Carry become law without his signature, then he weakens the proposed veto override session effort for the transgender ban bill.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    I think that he feels more strongly about the high school transgender ban than this bill. If he simply lets Constitutional Carry become law without his signature, then he weakens the proposed veto override session effort for the transgender ban bill.
    Interesting take. I guess we will soon know.

nolayota

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    NOLA
    Y'all don't get too excited too quick.

He vetoed the transgender bill on the 21st day. He vetoed HB20on the 12th day, when he only had 10 days to do it.

Double checked the date it was "sent" to him. Double checked the wording in the constitution.

He has 20 days from when it was "delivered" to him, not from when it was "sent." How long does it take to deliver it to him? idk.

Judging by the transgender bill, maybe he counts the next day as "delivery." Judging by HB20, maybe he does that and also excludes Sundays from he countdown?

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    Y'all don't get too excited too quick.

He vetoed the transgender bill on the 21st day. He vetoed HB20on the 12th day, when he only had 10 days to do it.

Double checked the date it was "sent" to him. Double checked the wording in the constitution.

He has 20 days from when it was "delivered" to him, not from when it was "sent." How long does it take to deliver it to him? idk.

Judging by the transgender bill, maybe he counts the next day as "delivery." Judging by HB20, maybe he does that and also excludes Sundays from he countdown?
    Good points. Need to read the fine print. But a veto of Constitutional Carry may generate more interest in the Veto override session?

https://www.houmatoday.com/story/ne...wards-nixes-transgender-sports-bi/5321881001/

Last edited:
    Top Bottom