Mardi Gras: How many of you couldn't care less about it?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAUC

running from safety
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    NOLA
    There are things I love about it, but recent events do make me a little more worried. I just find it hard to justify not going to the parade and having fun because I am too afraid something will happen. I hate crowds, but you just have to make exceptions for MG.

Most people do not know how to act and that also gets to me, but I also enjoy watching the stupidity unfold sometimes. I go to hang out with my friends and take in the sights. I am not at the front or trying to fight people for plastic beads. People get too caught up in that and forget how to be courteous A LOT. I stand towards the back and get to see everything and only catch stuff to protect my face.

I don't have kids, and I also don't leave my car/ house with more than I can comfortably carry for a few hours (chairs, tents, coolers, etc). You have to understand and expect the situations one encounters during MG: parking, bathrooms, food, crowds, etc... It's not for everyone, but there is nothing like it. It can be done correctly though. I am glad it only comes once a year though.

just to stir the pot some more, my usual mardi gras day tradition is to start around Napoleon & St. Charles around 8am and walk the whole route to downtown/ frenchman with a bunch of my friends. And I can't wait to do it again tomorrow!

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    used to go as a kid and teenager with family on our property, since then i haven't been back except for once or twice when i lived on the parade route...

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I went to mardi gras in N.O. once four or five years ago (that whole week is still kinda fuzzy) just to have the experience. To me, the whole thing has become a tourist trap. I love new orleans, and when I go I always stay in the french quarter, but now I only go in the Fall. The parades in Monroe have always been small and pretty lame. I like to go listen to the zydeco bands but usually leave before the parade starts. And it doesn't help that the smell of crawfish makes me want to puke. (I know, I'm a lousy lousianian)

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    In the Wood Pile.....

Well then, be on the lookout for one of those politically correct brown babies! :mamoru:

lol Chocolate included..

o7e3gxb7uh0e36gj23vr.jpg

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    It ain't for everybody that's for sure, but my family and friends have a great safe time every year, weather permitting of course. But it's my whole family, maw maw, aunts, uncles, lots kids and grand kids, and Great grand kids for maw maw. So we eat, some drink, but we all have a good time.

tas745

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Central, Louisiana
    I absolutely hate but I go every year because my wife and kids love it. We left at 4:30am got back at 12:30 last night. Once a year I do my penance and I'm good for the year. That always helps when I'm looking for that new addition to the gun safe.:bravo:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Or am I just a defective Louisianian? :confused:

Yes Sir...It sure sounds like it lol I imagine your anti King Cake as well? That's Un Cajun foe show!! Peace B with U!

u7wckx6mekbsboiqxcjx.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

Ha- No, I'm not against King Cake. Hell, I'm not really against someone enjoying Mardi Gras, if that's their thing.

But then again, I have discovered that it's possible to have some King Cake without having to wade through a sea of cross-dressers, pick-pockets, and the occasional convicted felon carrying a stolen pistol in order to get it.:dogkeke:

Some have even suggested that I spend enough time throughout the year being an a-hole that I don't have to worry about cramming it into one or two days a year....:o

:D

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Peace B With You!

Me too. I just don't get the whole Fat Tuesday / Ash Wednesday thing. You get a free ticket to go crazy and indulge in who knows what all, and get up the next day, hungover and go to mass for the priest to scribble an ash cross on your forehead then give up something for 40 days.

Come on now......Us Cat-Licks have feeling you know:}
    We don't understand you guy's either lol...Just a God thing for us, genuine concern and compassion for others kind of stuff, nothing fancy:}
    Peace B with Everyone this Lenten Season

52mpugm0j8n9hqvsy70v.jpg

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    my usual mardi gras day tradition is to start around Napoleon & St. Charles around 8am and walk the whole route to downtown/ frenchman with a bunch of my friends. And I can't wait to do it again tomorrow!

I dare you to hang out at St. Charles and Jackson Ave. (North side), till after the parades! Your new tradition will be running for your life. :mamoru:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Come on now......Us Cat-Licks have feeling you know:}
    We don't understand you guy's either lol...Just a God thing for us, genuine concern and compassion for others kind of stuff, nothing fancy:}
    Peace B with Everyone this Lenten Season

NOT a hater, y'all do what you want, I just don't get the concept. If we as Christians, Catholics included, are supposed to model ourselves and our behavior after Jesus, then what's with all the hoo-rah up until Tuesday night? is it written that He ever behaved that way?

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I enjoy it. It's like a tailgate... which I also enjoy. Good excuse to get together with all my friends and just forget about work. My wife's kind of burnt out on it though, so she usually schedules work, which is fine by me because I don't want to have to worry about her.

We had a tent set up yesterday, so that does a pretty good job of blocking any beads that might hit you when you aren't looking. Had the radio cranked up and the beer flowing.. good times.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Two out of Three ain't bad right?

NOT a hater, y'all do what you want, I just don't get the concept. If we as Christians, Catholics included, are supposed to model ourselves and our behavior after Jesus, then what's with all the hoo-rah up until Tuesday night? is it written that He ever behaved that way?

What hoo-rah not all of us behave the same, I don't drink, smoke, or chase women...Uh Oh oh now I got to go to confession:} Well two out of three anin't bad right? lol

167lmca31ql8i55rotn.jpg

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I don't like going to NO in the best of times.

The last time I went during Mardi Gras was 1959 when the Pershing Rifles company I was a member of marched in a couple of parades.

I lived in BR for 44y and never was tempted to return.
    :eh:

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011

I think all facets of Christianity are guilty of this though. We take a simple concept rooted in our faith and blow it out of proportion. Mardi Gras itself isn't religious, but was created as a means to celebrate and indulge before the Lenten "fast". See, we don't really fast for forty days anymore either.

I don't think it was Jesus's intention for us to celebrate his birthday in a secular mosh of buying superfluous things either but I'm sure that's how most Chrisitans, Protestants included, celebrate Christmas.

Last edited:

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    I think all facets of Christianity are guilty of this though. We take a simple concept rooted in our faith and blow it out of proportion. Mardi Gras itself isn't religious, but was created as a means to celebrate and indulge before the Lenten "fast". See, we don't really fast for forty days anymore either.

I don't think it was Jesus's intention for us to celebrate his birthday in a secular mosh of buying superfluous things either but I'm sure that's how most Chrisitans, Protestants included, celebrate Christmas.

Spot on.

Top Bottom