OC....Good or Bad?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OC...Good or Bad?

• Total voters

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Start with the easy one. CC is obviously a tactical advantage. Every sane person agrees that the element of surprise is a tactical advantage. One could argue that open carry allows faster draw speed, but I think this is clearly outweighed by the loss of value of the element of surprise.

I also think that OC does more harm than good for the gun community. There are idiots, uh, I mean extremists, uh, I mean advocates--yeah, advocates, on both sides of the spectrum. I personally think that the future of gun rights, as well as many other issues, will be decided by the majority of people who are not extreme on either side. In my opinion, open carrying is a negative in the public relations arena, and thus does more harm than good.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    The two are not mutually exclusive. It is not an "either-or" choice.

The real harm has already been done by the media. Louisiana has always been a traditional OC state. The media has convinced the public that there is something wrong with those of us who carry, either CC or OC. In order to combat this, we need to act responsibly when we do chose to OC. Many of us can remember when many folks OC'd and nothing was ever made of it. As it should have continued to be like.

The law enforcement agencies need to do their constitutional jobs, too, by educating their officers about the constitutions and laws. Otherwise, we will continue with our present "tyranny in blue", in which police watch commanders are effectively legislating. And, under which lawful activities are illegally disallowed.

Besides, Lou, a simple legislative act can end CC'ing at any time. Not so with OC'ing.

leVieux

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I support rational reasonable people who wish to OC to express their rights, especially in states where CC is almost impossible. I also OC when out in the woods hunting.

The problem I see with OC is that you have already escalated the nature of any encounter with a BG before anything may have happened. In some cases it may deter crime, but you have escalated the situtation. It would be similar if a CCer drew a weapon before he felt his/her life was in danger.

I agree there is a tactical advantage to CC as well.

IMO, OC has a very limited role in society, but I think it should be allowed. IMO, people should be allowed to make decisions a live with the consequences, and the government should not get involved.

Fisherman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    For a while when I lived in Lafayette, I OCd all the time. This was in 1979 - 1981. No one ever mentioned it except once. I was on my way home in the rain and I stopped to help someone who was pointed the other direction with their blinker lights on. The guy said they didn't need any help. He just stopped so he could mess around with his girlfriend in the front seat. He said, "Hey! You got a gunnnnn!" and I turned around and said, "Where?!?" LOL

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Oc'ing is a legal and practical option for those who don't have or don't choose to use a CHP for whatever reason.

^THIS^

It's legal and therefore a legit form of Carry.

The difference is that this form of carry is Constitutionally protected.

Why does one just have to be better than the other? Both are legal, so why do we still bring this crap up?

I give this thread another few minutes until it’s just another worthless CC vs OC debacle.

Last edited:

Fisherman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    I voted that none of the answers fit. I think that the more people see it, the less bleeting of sheep we'll hear. They need to just get used to it. Sometimes it's just too hot to conceal a full size 1911A1. It's not a showoff or macho thing either. Most of the time I would conceal but there are places that I would feel perfectly comfortable openly carrying and I don't feel like it's anyone elses business. Unless they ask politely. Of course we need to be prepared for the occasional polite question and give polite answers. If we act like jerks then the stigma will stay just like it is and will confirm the lies that the media spreads. So, with open carry, get a haircut and keep it combed, don't wear your "holy" jeans, get a shave, act like a civilized adult, don't drink and carry. All that stuff. If you open carry, whether you want to be or not, you are an ambassador of gun rights, good or bad. I choose good. Besides, I don't want any of my fans to see me looking like a slouch.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Q. OC'ing does more harm than good for the gun community.
    A. The gun community can take care of itself. I'm more interested in Community Coffee.

Q. OC'ing is a positive and constructive way of expressing your rights.
    A. I could care less if other people know about my gun rights. How about some good expresso instead?

Q. OC'ing is tactically advantageous.
    A. Shoot first and true. There are no second place winners.

Q. CC'ing is tactically advantageous.

Q. I have no opinion or no answers to fit.
    A. I can BS about anything.

Q. OC'ing give LEO's someone to harrass while they are waiting for the hot donuts to be done.
    A. I like fresh donuts. Let's go a round.

gocoastal

I'm a girl.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    NOLA
    Q. OC'ing does more harm than good for the gun community.
    A. The gun community can take care of itself. I'm more interested in Community Coffee.

Q. OC'ing is a positive and constructive way of expressing your rights.
    A. I could care less if other people know about my gun rights. How about some good expresso instead?

Q. OC'ing is tactically advantageous.

Q. CC'ing is tactically advantageous.

Q. I have no opinion or no answers to fit.
    A. I can BS about anything.

Q. OC'ing give LEO's someone to harrass while they are waiting for the hot donuts to be done.
    A. I like fresh donuts. Let's go a round.

+1

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Where I grew up it was not uncommon for people to OC.

Although we did not call it that back then.

Sadly, the only ones I've seen OC'ing these days are assclowns and tools.

(example?)
    A few years ago I walked into the Home Depot on Coursey in uniform and had this nimrod with a piece on his hip immediately get in my face and almost shout that open carry was a right.

I told him to get out of my way cuz I had plywood to buy.

Bottom line is I truly believe most of those OC'ing on a regular basis these days are trying to draw attention to themselves and don't have the people skills to pull it off.

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    OC can be good or bad. So can CC. It depends on what you're doing and where you are. If I'm walking through the woods or in the country or walking through a dangerous neighborhood at night (car broke down! Whatever! that's how I got there) MAYBE even into a casual eating joint to sit down then open carry is a very good idea!
    If I am walking through mardi gras in New Orleans squeezing through a crowd of drunks, queers and screwballs....not a good idea....in fact a very BAD idea.
    if I am walking into Wal-Mart....probably not a great idea but not necessarly a bad idea (if you don't mind being questioned by a peace officer and possible banned from the property)

I think if people were better educated about guns and more and more people did it then it would be as acceptable as wearing a belt or a sport coat.

Last edited:

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    +1

+1- what he said
    Where I grew up it was not uncommon for people to OC..

Although we did not call it that back then.

Sadly, the only ones I've seen OC'ing these days are assclowns and tools.

(example?)
    A few years ago I walked into the Home Depot on Coursey in uniform and had this nimrod with a piece on his hip immediately get in my face and almost shout that open carry was a right.

I told him to get out of my way cuz I had plywood to buy.

Bottom line is I truly believe most of those OC'ing on a regular basis these days are trying to draw attention to themselves and don't have the people skills to pull it off.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    The following is MY PERSONAL AND HONEST OPINION, so please don't start sending me hate email again.

I, personally, won't OC because it will attract attention. I like to be left alone. I don't like to talk to people. If I OC, people will inquire or people will yell. I don't want either one.

I often OC in rural areas.

I will never, ever not support OC. I will never vote against OC. I'm a firm believer of the Second Amendment and OC is protected by that.

Top Bottom