Outrage in LC over police shooting dog..Petition link update

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I can't cite the case, but I seem to remember that the courts consider a dog to be property. If you shoot a dog, you are only responsible for the cost of a replacement. I hunted with a guy that shot a deer dog, and that was the outcome. And since when do you get the death penalty for shooting a dog??

According to Gator45/70, a dog seems to be held in high regard in Western Louisiana.

It may be a capital offense on that side of the state...

JR1572

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    My dogs are my children and will be defended as such.

If you cannt separate dogs from children then that might be your problem. I love dogs but I would never say I loved them as much as my children. I would be highly upset if someone killed the family pets but wouldn't think of killing them. Especially if it was LE chasing felons

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I like how people post this stuff just to stir the pot

Now we're arguing about pot again?! What if the dog was high? Would the officer have shot the dog if he was drunk? Should police knock and announce before killing dogs? What if the dog was OCing and could cite case law? Different outcome?

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You guys seriously don't enough information to make a call on if it was right or wrong. I've been many situations that get covered by the local news. Here's what you need to know.

The local "journalists" are either stupid or flat out lying is most what you watch on the local news. I sensed an agenda being pushed by the Lake Charles journalists. If this story goes national they could get the heck out of the small time market and make some real money by being noticed. In order to that... lie, lie, spin, half truth.

Quit making decisions based on raw emotions. That's exactly how statists want you to be. Calm down and objectively and rationally review this when we actually know what happened.

Your dogs ARE NOT children. They are animals. My kid is a child. I love my dog less than I love my child.

Dave

Last edited:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Now we're arguing about pot again?! What if the dog was high? Would the officer have shot the dog if he was drunk?
    dogs-who-look-high-10.jpg

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Yrdawg,

I didn't watch the video. What you quoted me on is simply the question "if" a dog shooting gets ruled as "justified" wanting to shoot the shooter (cop or not) is just plain ludicrous. If you shot my dog because he was acting an ass and you had no other options, why would I be mad? Really.

There are other ways to deal with dogs than shooting them. Just saying...

We all will defend life and limb, however last time I checked dogs, cats, and livestock are property.

JR1572

I lost a good dog a few nights ago, he made it a mile from where he was supposed to be and got hit by a truck. **** happens that can't be avoided.

However I do know a lot about LC and the cops there. Not long ago a dog cop had to shoot his own cop dog, poochie locked on the cop's leg in a chase and wouldn't let go. Training is pretty much on the back burner for LCPD and CPSO is getting there quickly.

I'm gonna venture an educated guess here...this is BS and the dog shooter will be looking for work.

Crime is over running LC and Sulphur as well like it has BR...cops are having a rough time no doubt, still, you don't shoot peoples dogs.

Peacemaker

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Some cops can be a little quick on the trigger. It's a real shame that lady lost her pet. I agree with what someone else posted, those scumbag criminals should be charged for letting that dog out and causing it to get killed. I can see both sides of it... Bad situation all around...

G

gunguy11

I do not know enough about this particular situation but I would know enough if it were actaully involving me and my dog. If the officer were to use deadly force on my dog right away and he showed no aggression or attempt at harm; well I would NOT be ok with it. Would I shoot him.. no.
    but he wouldnt be in pursuit of that suspect anymore.. I would try my hardest to defend my dog's honor because he deserved better than that. I am not talking out my ass over the internet either. I said I would try my hardest; I might have my ass handed to me if it is some JR/VG ranger officer lol but I can live with knowing I tried to serve my own cause. My dog is my kid.. I love him unconidtionally. When he is 13+ years old he will still love me more than himself and you cannot honestly say that about all children.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom