Outrage in LC over police shooting dog..Petition link update

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Not trying to start anything with you. Honestly. Are you jewish?

I just found it preposterous that you were basically equating an officer shooting a pet to a member of the nazi party that committed genocide against an entire race of people.

It was not my intention to equate them to Agents of Genocide, but instead to parallel both's apparent freedom to do whatever to whomever. Tyranny is defined as "arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power" and that is what I see in this scenario. If I went into my neighbor's yard and got bitten, tough ****. I am a normal citizen and deserved it. If a Police officer is in my yard for whatever reason (legitimate or not), he/she just has the right to shoot my dog because it appeared aggressive to them? Really?

I just don't understand. If I cannot keep my dog in my yard without having to fear that police might perforate her, then where can I keep her? Why is the officer's right to not feel threatened by a dog that is lawfully contained on it's owner's property more important than the right of the owner to not have his dog shot arbitrarily?

I understand that Police are human like everyone else and they make mistakes like everyone else. However, my biggest concern is the general attitude on here that the Police are above and/or more important than the citizens they are sworn to protect.

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    There is going to be no justification. Whether the cop is technically right or wrong...this will be unjustifiable.

Were I the dog owner my lawyer would be driving Lamborghini's when this was over. And of course I'd be on a giant Harley and owning an offshore boat named Monkey

Please, I have been jumped by dogs all my life for one thing or another, there has always been an alternative to killing them.

Some time ago, years I believe and I'm too lazy to google the news article... a lady was walking towards her apartment when her neighbors two dogs had escaped out of their apartment. They killed her.

So of course, the cop should have taken it. Gotcha. But since it wasn't a cop who is a member here, it's okay to say he screwed up because you'd never insult a Bayoushooter LEO.

:rolleyes:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I see a lot of officers saying they will come onto whomever's property and shoot whatever animal they please if that animal does so much as anything other than bow to the officer's obvious superiority.

1930_pattern_Schutzstaffel_uniform_with_shoulder_board.jpg

That's disgusting.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    That's disgusting.

It happens.

Edit: And for the record, I find it hilarious that some members on here, post all the time spewing some of the most antisemitic stuff I have ever seen in my life and its not a big deal. But I post a picture of a Brownshirt and equate that to a police officer and that's what trips everyone's breaker.

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    I guess I have enough sense to know that my dog does NOT have enough sense to know the good guys from the bad guys when they are running though my yard.
    I'm sure my dog would go after either one thinking he is protecting my family, and that just might get him in trouble.
    Sure I would be upset, but I am enough of a realist to know that sometimes things just happen.

My kids > my dog
    Human life > my dog

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    It was not my intention to equate them to Agents of Genocide, but instead to parallel both's apparent freedom to do whatever to whomever. Tyranny is defined as "arbitrary or unrestrained exercise of power" and that is what I see in this scenario. If I went into my neighbor's yard and got bitten, tough ****. I am a normal citizen and deserved it. If a Police officer is in my yard for whatever reason (legitimate or not), he/she just has the right to shoot my dog because it appeared aggressive to them? Really?

I just don't understand. If I cannot keep my dog in my yard without having to fear that police might perforate her, then where can I keep her? Why is the officer's right to not feel threatened by a dog that is lawfully contained on it's owner's property more important than the right of the owner to not have his dog shot arbitrarily?

I understand that Police are human like everyone else and they make mistakes like everyone else. However, my biggest concern is the general attitude on here that the Police are above and/or more important than the citizens they are sworn to protect.

I don't think any of the officer's "supporters" are saying he's without blame or "tough ****" to the dog's family. However, I'm able to see it from the officer's perspective. He's in pursuit. Suspects went this way. Dog coming at me. Given his present state of mind, I find it completely believable that it looked (to him) that his person was in danger from this dog. Mind you, he doesn't know if that is the suspect's house and they ran through it to get the dog on him. There's a lot of what if's and "well, he might have done this..." but 99.9% of us will never have and will never be in that situation. It really sucks that the dog died. As an owner, I would be sad and furious.

But a line needs to be drawn when we start saying that cops should be shot for hurting an animal (when done non-maliciously). If the cop had just walked into their yard and executed the dog for absolutely no reason, then yeah.... fine, shoot him. But because he's a psychopath; not because he hurt a dog.

Hunh Bruh, can you please quote this. In all honesty, if I'm there to see a cop shoot my dog, I'll probably do something stupid in the heat of the moment and this will go a long way to show that I was in an altered state-of-mind after seeing my pooch filled with holes.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If a Police officer is in my yard for whatever reason (legitimate or not), he/she just has the right to shoot my dog because it appeared aggressive to them? Really?

Yes they do. You'd prefer your dog bites a police officer? How much was the mutt worth? $100? Pay the family that. The dog is property. It's live stock. It's not a child. Despite how someone feels towards their animal you don't base a system of laws on feelings. I love my dog. I'd be upset if it happened. But bad things happen in life.

I'm far more upset that unelected, bureaucrats are going to be determining how long HUMANs will be allowed to luve.

Dave

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    But a line needs to be drawn when we start saying that cops should be shot for hurting an animal (when done non-maliciously). If the cop had just walked into their yard and executed the dog for absolutely no reason, then yeah.... fine, shoot him. But because he's a psychopath; not because he hurt a dog.

First off, I have never said to shoot a cop, nor is it my goal in life to shoot a cop. I don't believe I even hinted at that in this thread. My retaliation would be a lawsuit, nit attempted murder.

I don't think any of the officer's "supporters" are saying he's without blame or "tough ****" to the dog's family. However, I'm able to see it from the officer's perspective. He's in pursuit. Suspects went this way. Dog coming at me. Given his present state of mind, I find it completely believable that it looked (to him) that his person was in danger from this dog. Mind you, he doesn't know if that is the suspect's house and they ran through it to get the dog on him. There's a lot of what if's and "well, he might have done this..." but 99.9% of us will never have and will never be in that situation. It really sucks that the dog died. As an owner, I would be sad and furious.

Secondly, aren't officers supposed to be held to a higher standard than average citizens due to their training and professional skill set?

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    First off, I have never said to shoot a cop, nor is it my goal in life to shoot a cop. I don't believe I even hinted at that in this thread. My retaliation would be a lawsuit, nit attempted murder.

Actually, you kind of sort of did. Maybe not directly, or intentionally. But it was there.

First world countries routinely try war criminals when we can. Many of them have been executed or sentenced to death for their crimes.

By calling the officers brownshirts, and understanding historically what happened and continues to happen with followers of tyranny…

Last edited:

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Yes they do. You'd prefer your dog bites a police officer? How much was the mutt worth? $100? Pay the family that. The dog is property. It's live stock. It's not a child. Despite how someone feels towards their animal you don't base a system of laws on feelings. I love my dog. I'd be upset if it happened. But bad things happen in life.

I'm far more upset that unelected, bureaucrats are going to be determining how long HUMANs will be allowed to luve.

Dave

Yes, I would prefer that my 12 pound miniature dachshund, who never is outside except in my back yard or on a leash, take a bite of an Officer's ankle that might possibly leave a red mark on him, than have her gunned down by said Officer.

Secondly, it isn't up to you or the government to determine the value of the animal to me and my family. How much do you think my dog is worth to my 4 year old? Just wondering.

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell

Secondly, aren't officers supposed to be held to a higher standard than average citizens due to their training and professional skill set?

To the first: I was speaking more to some of our other thread participants.

As to the second: they are. I know when I go to work I'm not expected to chase down BG's through neighborhoods.

But even so, how long do you think he had to make a decision about that dog? 1 second? 2? 3 maybe? Not a lot of time to decide if you're going to holster your weapon, draw a taser/mace, incapacitate the dog, and still catch the guys you were just chasing.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Yes, I would prefer that my 12 miniature dachshund, who never is outside except in my back yard or on a leash, take a bite of an Officer's ankle that might possibly leave a red mark on him, than have her gunned down by said Officer.

Secondly, it isn't up to you or the government to determine the value of the animal to me and my family. How much do you think my dog is worth to my 4 year old? Just wondering.

You're trying to base a system of government on your emotions. It doesn't work. How much is my dog worth to my four year old? I don't know. My dog will hopefully die before my child does anyway. Even without evil cops trying to get home safe at the end their shift to their families. I guess I'll find out then. My guess is the pound will have plenty of other dogs for less than $100. I also guess that we'll miss the old girl and be pretty sad but we'll get over it. It's only a dog after all. I've had plenty of them.

Dave

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Yes, I would prefer that my 12 miniature dachshund, who never is outside except in my back yard or on a leash, take a bite of an Officer's ankle that might possibly leave a red mark on him, than have her gunned down by said Officer.

The dog in the article was not a miniature anything.
    He looked to me to be big enough to do real damage.

So should the officer just let a 80#+ dog bite him, possible doing serious injury to him, before he responds with force?
    Would you step up and pay his medical bills and pay him for his time off work plus pain and suffering with out being forced to if it was your dog that injured him?

I still say Human life > any dog.

Last edited:

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    Go back and continue reading my post.

Actually, why don't you go back and read my post (number 104 in this thread) where I explain exactly what i meant when I posted that picture. I don't need to re-read your misinterpretation.

Last edited:

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I've raised Boston Terriers all my life, so I know a little bit about dogs. Here's my opinion on this:

All dogs are considered armed and dangerous. They have sharp teeth (duh) and powerful jaws. If they feel like it, they can just run up to someone and bite, especially if there is mass chaos and confusion. Nobody knows how or when a dog will act.

I'm siding with the LEO on this one.

Top Bottom