Panther Myth

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    member.php

You sure it wasn't a Pangris? An extremely ill-tempered animal resulting from the cross breeding of the LSU tiger with a boer goat?

Last edited:

Chiodos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    but then again that has never been confirmed that jaguars could even survive there with the shrinking of habitat and the huge territory of just one jaguar (usually 60 mile radius but has been proven up to 200 miles). but there is a big difference between the two cats. they are not even of the same genus! puma and panthera. but how would a jaguar get to louisiana? their habitat is the rainforests in south america! QUOTE]

There are documented game camera photo's of Jaguars in Northern Mexico, south texas, and arizona that have sprung up the last few years. Also around the turn of the century, jaguars were reguarly killed in those regions. It is not a stretch that these animals could roam that far.

As far as a "Black panther". if it is a melanistic cougar, is it not still a large black cat? Melanisim is not that rare in wild animals, I have personally seen black bobcats and deer in the St. Francisville area and use to belong to a hunting club in Rhama where you could kill a limit of melanistic squirells. Have I ever seen a cougar in Louisiana, no, however I know people who have who have hunted cougars or grown up around them and know the difference between them and bobcats and their tracks.

Lousiana has a breeding population of cougars, the evidence of the one killed in shreveport, the infamix game camera pics from Kisatche, and the scat confirmation at Lake Fausse Point prove this. I personally believe that the LDWF chooses to ignor it for a very good reason, they do not wish to be force to follow federal guidelines for an endangered species which may restrict other game hunting and tie up more of thier already small budget.

so you are saying that this one guy is the only person in the entire world to have seen a legitimate malanistic puma concolor? melanism in panthers is extremely hard to come by. yes there are albino deer, people, squirrels ect, but what is the population of those mammals compared to to the population of panthers? it has long been agreed that the black panther is a criptid animal. it has never ever had photographic evidence even with the millions of game cameras. yes i agree there panthers in louisiana, hell i squirrel hunt in public land in ms called PANTHER SWAMP and still today there is at least one panther there.

Sir, I'm sure that you are a very intelligent individual and aren't stupid enough to believe that there aren't some freaks of nature. I've seen albino squirrels, humans, deer, and other animals. Heck there are snakes with two tails, humans with two heads and a multitude of other abnormalities in nature. But no black panthers....:confused:

And the reason I mentioned it was because I didn't know that you, the last word in genetics, would be on here to tell me what I saw. I am so thankful you were here to save the day.

By the way, spell check available through Google.

Thanks for getting me straight and telling me what I saw.

Buddy
    read above. do you realize there the number of living panthers are between 80-100. 1.2 billion squirrels, with a rough population of 100,000 albino squirrels. which according to you would make your possibility of 1:960,000 yet the population of panthers is under 100. yes there have been sightings of "black panthers" but one has never been photographed, captured, or killed. even if your best possibilities of spotting one is roughly 1:120,000 (remember you compared melanistic panthers to albino squirrels(obviously you didnt pay attention to 9th grade biology)) it would be dark brown at best, unless it just jumped out of a vat of black ink or played in motor oil.

I've seen Sasquatch in Mississippi... i mean hell... uh... disregard.

Lol, I believe they have cougars out here. They have always been around. There have been plenty of well documented incidents. Who is to say that there isnt a male running around with a genetic mutation that causes a predominantly black color? Sounds plausible enough to look into. Might be pretty cool. There is a Louisiana Black Bear. I've never seen one but I've seen the proof that they are still around.

Cheers

wow i saw big foot too! well it was me and junior. but it was on two legs and had hair, it must have been big foot(not making fun of you jphilip). but yeah like you said there is a posibility, its extremely rare (much more rare than what i said as we were comparing melanism to albinism) but they would still be dark brown. i would LOVE to know that in the woods that i hunt is a jet black cat that could rip me to shreds while all i carry is a meager .22 bolt action for squirrels. but the truth is, black panthers are just as common as catching the loch ness monster or killing superman. those who have seen a "black panther" please call the la game and fish or whoever for that matter and see how long it takes them to laugh and hang up on you.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    so you are saying that this one guy is the only person in the entire world to have seen a legitimate malanistic puma concolor? melanism in panthers is extremely hard to come by. yes there are albino deer, people, squirrels ect, but what is the population of those mammals compared to to the population of panthers? it has long been agreed that the black panther is a criptid animal. it has never ever had photographic evidence even with the millions of game cameras. yes i agree there panthers in louisiana, hell i squirrel hunt in public land in ms called PANTHER SWAMP and still today there is at least one panther there.

read above. do you realize there the number of living panthers are between 80-100. 1.2 billion squirrels, with a rough population of 100,000 albino squirrels. which according to you would make your possibility of 1:960,000 yet the population of panthers is under 100. yes there have been sightings of "black panthers" but one has never been photographed, captured, or killed. even if your best possibilities of spotting one is roughly 1:120,000 (remember you compared melanistic panthers to albino squirrels(obviously you didnt pay attention to 9th grade biology)) it would be dark brown at best, unless it just jumped out of a vat of black ink or played in motor oil.

wow i saw big foot too! well it was me and junior. but it was on two legs and had hair, it must have been big foot(not making fun of you jphilip). but yeah like you said there is a posibility, its extremely rare (much more rare than what i said as we were comparing melanism to albinism) but they would still be dark brown. i would LOVE to know that in the woods that i hunt is a jet black cat that could rip me to shreds while all i carry is a meager .22 bolt action for squirrels. but the truth is, black panthers are just as common as catching the loch ness monster or killing superman. those who have seen a "black panther" please call the la game and fish or whoever for that matter and see how long it takes them to laugh and hang up on you.

Well there were no documented pictures of the Ivory Billed Woodpecker ofr 100 yrs either. No documentation of the Selakamp fish either for hundreds of years. Just cause you cant and its not likely, doesnt mean it didnt happen.

BTW 2 posts and already insulting members? Way to go Newbie. Learn how to use the Multi quote button so your stuff is easier to read.

Last edited:

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)

Sir, with all due respect...you are very narrow minded. I don't doubt for a minute that you have read up on Panthers/Mountain Lions or what ever you would like to call them. And I saw the same program on Discovery channel where they were trying to disprove the "black cat", which by the way if you will remember they had doubts, but couldn't with certainly disprove their existence.

As I stated before, three of us saw this Black Panther. We are not stupid, spinning tales, or trying to create turmoil. We know what we saw and if you are too hard headed to understand that there are things out there that you haven't seen or cannot explain...too bad for you. There are genetic freaks in all of nature, even if there are only a small number. (:confused: If no one sees these "Cats"....how do we know there are only eighty? Could it be 20 or maybe 200, 1000, or more?)

Buddy

Chiodos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    no i did not watch the discovery channel and i actually have studied up on panthers and other big cats, as well as study cryptozoology for quite a few years my friend.. my uncle saw an ivory billed woodpecker 7 years ago. we all told him it was a pleated woodpecker. i didnt doubt him because it was originally extinct but was known to thrive, meaning at one point it did exist! but that was a complete species. what is claimed to be a "black panther" would be a melanistic puma concolor and not a completely different species. but, if there was a recessive gene in the puma family, then why can the scientist, biologist, zoologist, breeders and whoever else that knows anything about hereditary be completely unable to bring out that gene? only because that gene does not exist period. and they know the relative number of under 100 because of the territory of these animals, the urbanization of their natural habitat ect. on a side note. how many melanistic caucasians can you find? yall can argue all you want about what bubba and junior saw, but you are arguing with professionals which i am quite sure yo are not. to whoever requested for me to use the multi quote feature, i did and for some reason it was not posted but i did not do so on this post because if cannot comprehend my answers because of the lack of the question being posted above, i think it is more of a matter of your reading comprehension rather than my format. there are 2 of you saying that they are real when the rest of the knowledgeable world knows that the black panther is a myth, its not real. i know this isnt a good introduction but i am attempting to educate the hardheaded. i believe you saw a big cat. your brain may have processed it as black as well. but it was not. have you ever had a hallucination? when you were a child have you ever sworn that you saw the boogie man when in fact there was nothing there? its just our minds playing jokes on us. again i did not watch the discovery channel, i have studied the possibility of a black panther for 3 years. what is your background of such? you do not have to believe me if you wish, but as your colleges will try to inform you, you are just making a fool of yourself because a black panther does not exist.

Chiodos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Sir, with all due respect...you are very narrow minded. I don't doubt for a minute that you have read up on Panthers/Mountain Lions or what ever you would like to call them. And I saw the same program on Discovery channel where they were trying to disprove the "black cat", which by the way if you will remember they had doubts, but couldn't with certainly disprove their existence.

As I stated before, three of us saw this Black Panther. We are not stupid, spinning tales, or trying to create turmoil. We know what we saw and if you are too hard headed to understand that there are things out there that you haven't seen or cannot explain...too bad for you. There are genetic freaks in all of nature, even if there are only a small number. (:confused: If no one sees these "Cats"....how do we know there are only eighty? Could it be 20 or maybe 200, 1000, or more?)

Buddy

i am truly sorry for disrespecting you, as i know you are probably many years my elder but i am giving you scientific information and you still claim that your eyes are more accurate than the calculations and over 50 years of searching and breeding to make this mythical black panther. i admit that there are genetic abnormalities but melanism is EXTREMELY rare and considering such a tiny number of panthers, just a few years ago was a total of 6 yes six florida panthers meaning that all of todays panthers are descendent from one ancestral mother making the gene diversity 1/3 the size of gene diversity from the 19th century cats. again , my apologies for discrediting you but just so you can sleep happily tonight, there is 99.99% chance that you didnt see a black panther in la, but on the bright side you have that .01% looking up for you. but that would be a cool story to tell you kids or grandkids that you saw a black panther.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    i am truly sorry for disrespecting you

The man believes he saw something. Since you weren't there to see what he saw, I think it would be best to stop insulting him and let him believe what he wants to believe. Whether or not he saw a black panther is 100% (I can use percentages, too, but mine are accurate and yours are made up) impossible to prove, so leave him alone.

BTW, where in Louisiana are you located and what is this work you do dealing with big cat research?

Chiodos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    The man believes he saw something. Since you weren't there to see what he saw, I think it would be best to stop insulting him and let him believe what he wants to believe. Whether or not he saw a black panther is 100% (I can use percentages, too, but mine are accurate and yours are made up) impossible to prove, so leave him alone.

BTW, where in Louisiana are you located and what is this work you do dealing with big cat research?

well if you read the rest of my last post i told him exactly that. i am just informing the community of the truth. and actually all my percentages are accurate, you might want to change the one you just made up :D i also apologized to him twice, i know i am an ******* but i do it with a smile on my face as i am not intentionally getting mad at him or whatever, its just my personality most the time. currently i am in ms at college, its always been a personal interest since i was 4 years old when i heard of the extinct dodo in a book. (im a science freak and i will not give out information without me having creditable sources nor will i ever make up a percentage. other than that %99.99 but then again according to you, i really did see a zombie rat and there is 100% no way you could prove me wrong...

i revoke all of my degrading statements to anyone who has seen a black panther, i am sorry for being an *******. yall believe in black panthers, i believe in zombies, hunkie dorrie?

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    member.php

You sure it wasn't a Pangris? An extremely ill-tempered animal resulting from the cross breeding of the LSU tiger with a boer goat?

I saw a black monkey here in Livingston Parish just this morning uh oh well it may have been inside on the Discovery Channel and not outside on the swing?
    HUM?
    black-spider-monkey.jpg

no i did not watch the discovery channel and i actually have studied up on panthers and other big cats, as well as study cryptozoology for quite a few years my friend.. my uncle saw an ivory billed woodpecker 7 years ago. we all told him it was a pleated woodpecker. i didnt doubt him because it was originally extinct but was known to thrive, meaning at one point it did exist! but that was a complete species. what is claimed to be a "black panther" would be a melanistic puma concolor and not a completely different species. but, if there was a recessive gene in the puma family, then why can the scientist, biologist, zoologist, breeders and whoever else that knows anything about hereditary be completely unable to bring out that gene? only because that gene does not exist period. and they know the relative number of under 100 because of the territory of these animals, the urbanization of their natural habitat ect. on a side note. how many melanistic caucasians can you find? yall can argue all you want about what bubba and junior saw, but you are arguing with professionals which i am quite sure yo are not. to whoever requested for me to use the multi quote feature, i did and for some reason it was not posted but i did not do so on this post because if cannot comprehend my answers because of the lack of the question being posted above, i think it is more of a matter of your reading comprehension rather than my format. there are 2 of you saying that they are real when the rest of the knowledgeable world knows that the black panther is a myth, its not real. i know this isnt a good introduction but i am attempting to educate the hardheaded. i believe you saw a big cat. your brain may have processed it as black as well. but it was not. have you ever had a hallucination? when you were a child have you ever sworn that you saw the boogie man when in fact there was nothing there? its just our minds playing jokes on us. again i did not watch the discovery channel, i have studied the possibility of a black panther for 3 years. what is your background of such? you do not have to believe me if you wish, but as your colleges will try to inform you, you are just making a fool of yourself because a black panther does not exist.

Like this see. If you could break away from your studies of black panthers and take a computer lit course, it might help.

My reading comprehension is fine. You need to learn what a paragraph is, a run on sentence, and grammar check. But what do I know, I forgot I'm too stupid read your posts right?

I never said that there was a "black panther" All I said was that there is evidence to sugest that there are breeding pairs of cougars in Louisiana and that Jaguars are not limited to the rain forest, they have a historical and current range as far north as Arizona and Texas. You would think that such an astute scholar of large North American cats as yourself would know this.

You can not discount what someone, especially of Buddies reputation, says they saw. He very well may have seen a large melanistic cougar, or maybe one that was rolling around in the mud. You dont know, you weren't there, and with no evidence, you are basically calling him a liar.

Melanisim is not that rare either, all it takes is one defective member of the gene pool to mess it up for years to come. Research the russian silver fox and its captive breeding program. When you have a smaller breeding population, the risk of crossing over undesirable traits increases because of increased exposure to those traits. This is why you dont want to have children with your sisters and cousins. With a smaller breeding population such as would be available in Louisiana, the increased chances of contact with the melanisim gene is increased.

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    cougar/panther

My very good friend saw a cougar/panther two Saturdays ago in Port Hudson. Very reliable person. Was not black though. It was a tawny brown/deer color. he is still pinching himself to make sure he wasn't dreaming this. He got a real good look at it at 20 yards while hunting from the ground. Said it was 100lbs or so. Very very quiet with an extremly long tail. It ended up spooking and bolting out of there like lightning. Still silent even running off!

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Louisiana

This Louisiana Cougar was CONFIRMED this past season in Soileau,La. by the LDWF.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I personally saw what was definitely a large black cat (NOT a house cat) on the shell road just past Grand Bay on Three Rivers WMA approx six years ago. As my brother & I rounded the curve in his truck, it was in the middle of the road crouched down. It had a long tail (around 3-1/2-4ft lg), and was jet black in color. We saw it for about 5 seconds, 30-40 yards in front of us. It made one leap & disapeared into the weeds, left to right. I can't tell you whether what I saw was a black Florida panther, a black mountain lion, or whatever- but it was a large black cat with a long tail, and was bigger than any german shepherd I've ever seen.

Incidentally, while frogging on Red River WMA two years ago, my other brother & his friend saw a large black cat taking a drink in the borrow pit on the side of the levee as they shined the bank with a q-beam. No, I didn't see what they saw, but they swore they weren't pulling anyone's leg. The same year, my cousin saw a large black cat crossing Yackey Road on Red River WMA also.
    We have mentioned this to a few enforcement agents in the area, and they informed us that there is no such thing as a "black panther". So, officially, they don't exist. But I know what I saw.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I have also heard several stories of large black cats. My property is bordered on two sides by an old sulfur mine that is several thousands acres which is heavily restricted with very little activity. Several months back, my 3 dogs would constantly bark toward my shop from outside my bed room window every night around 1am. This went on for several nights. Every night I would shine a light that direction and see nothing. One morning I went walking past my shop to check and see if the beaver damn in the gully had been rebuilt. Between my cattle pen and the fence line there is no grass due to driving through, which is right out of my dog's boundary (buried fence with shock collars). In the bare dirt I found a set of imprints in the dirt, which is hard packed, not muddy. They were about the size of my fist with my fingers closed and knuckles open, with a round shape and now claw marks in front of each pad like a dog would have. At the end of the prints i found a set of scratches in the dirt about a foot long and spaced about 4' front to rear. I asked my neighbor, who has lived down the road since the mid 80s when the property was subdivided, if he knew of any large cats in the area. He had plenty of accounts of them. One time he was unlocking the gate at the end of the road at night and witnessed a female cougar and a bob cat get into a fight on the other side of his truck. Another account was when he and his wife were riding down the pipeline and saw the same cougar jump the gully with a small BLACK cub in her mouth. Several years later he came across what he believes to be the same BLACK cat while tracking his dozer through the woods... except he was all grown up. I was told by several people that the large female has been shot years ago and is mounted in PPG's brine field office. She had a broken tail and everyone who saw her mentioned that.

I am just repeating what I have been told by, who I believe is a very reliable source, I have seen nothing other than large tracks that appear to belong to a large cat. I do hope to get a glimpse of one of these big cats one day.

also... lets not forget there was a chupacabra found in DeQuincy back in '96.... any reading up on them Chiodos?

http://www.mysterymag.com/weirdamerica/index.php?subID=127&artID=526&page=article
    http://www.unexplainedresearch.com/in_the_news/dequincy_road_kill.html

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    That is the first time I've ever heard of a Chupacabra. I didn't catch a date of the photo or articles. Has anything been done to identify this animal?

Went back and saw the date as 9/26/96. Wonder what happened...did they find out it was a Monkey or Ape?

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    BTW, the feline I saw was in broad daylight- around 1 or 2 pm, if I recall....

And no, it didn't look anything like this:

pink_panther.jpg

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    That is the first time I've ever heard of a Chupacabra. I didn't catch a date of the photo or articles. Has anything been done to identify this animal?

Went back and saw the date as 9/26/96. Wonder what happened...did they find out it was a Monkey or Ape?

i did find this:
    http://www.ghoststudies.com/write-ups/fluffy.html

Most times when someone finds a 'chupacabra' it is a dog with severe mange, this one has the baboon type face so it cant be a dog.

Top Bottom