Panther Myth

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    You know.... I tend to believe they're more often brown or tan than black. I happen to believe black is... usually dark brown.

But I haven't seen what others claimed to have seen so I'm not going to debate it.

What makes me curious is why you're so sure black panthers do not exist, yet readily admit you study such things as unicorns, griffins, and of course Nessie. But hey, we all gotta have a hobby. :)

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    They don't exist. End of discussion. Its impossible. There is also no such thing as magic, stanta clause, ghosts, or the tooth fairy. Science proves this to be a myth, why is this such a hard thing to grasp? Even BIGFOOT has some sort of photo evidence! Why is there not even a single snap shot of one these black cats?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    You know.... I tend to believe they're more often brown or tan than black. I happen to believe black is... usually dark brown.

But I haven't seen what others claimed to have seen so I'm not going to debate it.

What makes me curious is why you're so sure black panthers do not exist, yet readily admit you study such things as unicorns, griffins, and of course Nessie. But hey, we all gotta have a hobby. :)

I will just say this- if it was brown, then it was a VERY dark brown- as I recall it being black...That's the only one I've ever seen, but the people I know who claim to have seen one also were very certain & usually don't engage in any BS (a rarity among my group)...
    Oh yeah- I guess I should also mention that neither myself or any of them were drinking at the time (again, a rarity at my camp)....:rofl:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Well, the reason I say they're dark brown is because of the reason I mentioned earlier on. If you take black house cats in a real bright sunbeam, and push their fur backwards so you can see the undercoat, it can be a dark chocolate brown. In ANY other light, the cat will appear black. If the fur is laying down smooth, it appears black. Direct sunlight is the only way to tell the cat isn't TRULY black. It's like dark chocolate. If you get the 70% chocolate and melt it down with milk, it'll melt down into a brown shade. Black will just give you grey. But the dark chocolate does appear much darker than regular chocolate, and it's a color that I'd call black on an animal. (does that make sense?)

Now I'm not suggesting every housecat is brown. There are black domestic cats. But given the fact that most cougars are of the tan, brown or fawn varity, I'm guessing that it's probably true, there are not genetically solid black panther/cougars/mountain lions. But it could be possible they are so dark brown, they look black, even dry and in bright sunlight.

Sam you and I usually agree on most things here, but I gotta tell you. I'm skeptical. There are more people posting on this thread that admit to seeing a black panther than there are that suggest they saw a tan one. They may actually be so dark that they appear black, I'll concede it's remotely possible given how many people have sworn they saw one in the past but the reported sightings of tan cougars should be much higher and from what I'm seeing... they're just not? Really that's my biggest question mark on the whole issue.

SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La

As far as a "Black panther". if it is a melanistic cougar, is it not still a large black cat? Melanisim is not that rare in wild animals, I have personally seen black bobcats

Yes. Bobcats, squirrals, coons... can be black. Cougars cannot. It has to do with how the fur/skin gets its color determining cells in the womb. Most spotted cats can. Bobcats could be to blame, but they are 16-35lbs and very short tailed. Not to mention the rarity or black Bobs; something in the neighborhood of 10 confirmed cases in the last 300yrs.

less than a dozen have been recorded. Most of them in South Florida near the Loxahatchee River and St. Lucie Canal. The first was discovered about 70 years ago.

SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La
    There's also the Jaguarundi. Again small and not really black.

The jaguarundi (Puma yagouaroundi) is a medium-sized wild cat that ranges from southern Texas in the United States south to South America. The average length is 65 cm (30 inches) with 45 cm (20 in) of tail and a weight of about 6 kg (13.2 lbs). It has short legs and an appearance somewhat like an otter; the ears are short and rounded. For this reason, these animals are sometimes referred to as "otter cats." The coat is unspotted, uniform in colour, and varying from blackish to brownish grey (grey phase) or from foxy red to chestnut (red phase).

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    Well, the reason I say they're dark brown is because of the reason I mentioned earlier on. If you take black house cats in a real bright sunbeam, and push their fur backwards so you can see the undercoat, it can be a dark chocolate brown. In ANY other light, the cat will appear black. If the fur is laying down smooth, it appears black. Direct sunlight is the only way to tell the cat isn't TRULY black. It's like dark chocolate. If you get the 70% chocolate and melt it down with milk, it'll melt down into a brown shade. Black will just give you grey. But the dark chocolate does appear much darker than regular chocolate, and it's a color that I'd call black on an animal. (does that make sense?)

Now I'm not suggesting every housecat is brown. There are black domestic cats. But given the fact that most cougars are of the tan, brown or fawn varity, I'm guessing that it's probably true, there are not genetically solid black panther/cougars/mountain lions. But it could be possible they are so dark brown, they look black, even dry and in bright sunlight.

Sam you and I usually agree on most things here, but I gotta tell you. I'm skeptical. There are more people posting on this thread that admit to seeing a black panther than there are that suggest they saw a tan one. They may actually be so dark that they appear black, I'll concede it's remotely possible given how many people have sworn they saw one in the past but the reported sightings of tan cougars should be much higher and from what I'm seeing... they're just not? Really that's my biggest question mark on the whole issue.

The first answer is if you have to push the hair a certain way in bright light to see the brown hair...the top hair must be black. So for all practical purposes, it is black.

No it doesn't make sense to compare chocolate mixes to the genetics of animals (other than the chocolate Easter Rabbits and I'm all for some of those bunnies.) I do understand what you are trying to convey though.

Guessing is not an available option. Too many of us have seen and described what we have seen, or told you of people they believe to be reputable and what they have seen. You don't have to believe it, you can go the route of the guys that have read it and think that is the final word. I'm sure some of our experts have burned up Google looking for information on these animals.

The question did not ask about brown/tan panthers...this was started about black panthers. Therefore those were not reported in the numbers that we would expect. There is a good possibility that more have been seen.

Buddy

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Yes. Bobcats, squirrals, coons... can be black. Cougars cannot. It has to do with how the fur/skin gets its color determining cells in the womb. Most spotted cats can. Bobcats could be to blame, but they are 16-35lbs and very short tailed. Not to mention the rarity or black Bobs; something in the neighborhood of 10 confirmed cases in the last 300yrs.

Well maybe not jet black, but good enough for government work. The only black bobcat I ever saw, if you were close and in the sun, you could see his spots in the black coat, but from 50 yds past he looked jet black. Luckily he was moving slow on a fields edge and I was able to watch him for a while. His short tail and body shape gave him away.

If you know where Cinclare sugar mill is, there is a long tailed bobcat around there I have seen recently. I think he may be mixed with a houscat or other animal because he is rather small in stature and has an odd shape to him. He has the bobcat face shape, with a long tail like a housecat.

Chiodos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009

i mostly study criptid/rare species that are native of america. and nessie was actually a escaped elephant from a circus in the late 20's that some dude took a picture of. ANYWAYS, i have studied enough of black panthers to know they do not exist. and my hobbies include guns, cars, and random knowledge (cryptozoology!)

They don't exist. End of discussion. Its impossible. There is also no such thing as magic, stanta clause, ghosts, or the tooth fairy. Science proves this to be a myth, why is this such a hard thing to grasp? Even BIGFOOT has some sort of photo evidence! Why is there not even a single snap shot of one these black cats?

yes thank you! these guys are arguing with anyone who knows anything about the truth of these mythical creatures and claim that what they saw is more reputable than anything that has to do with the science of the fact.

SpencerSS, i agree that there is no genetically possible way to have a black panther but why did you quote me as saying something that i did not?

The first answer is if you have to push the hair a certain way in bright light to see the brown hair...the top hair must be black. So for all practical purposes, it is black.

No it doesn't make sense to compare chocolate mixes to the genetics of animals (other than the chocolate Easter Rabbits and I'm all for some of those bunnies.) I do understand what you are trying to convey though.

Guessing is not an available option. Too many of us have seen and described what we have seen, or told you of people they believe to be reputable and what they have seen. You don't have to believe it, you can go the route of the guys that have read it and think that is the final word. I'm sure some of our experts have burned up Google looking for information on these animals.

The question did not ask about brown/tan panthers...this was started about black panthers. Therefore those were not reported in the numbers that we would expect. There is a good possibility that more have been seen.

Buddy

buddy, have you ever heard of mothman? ever heard people swear they saw a ghost? i have a memory of what i recall to be the ghost of annandale. i do not believe in ghost and therefore regard the memory as my eyes "playing tricks on me". tell you what buddy, im going to jackson, wyoming in 2 months. i will ask everyone if they have ever seen a black panther. then i will make it my mission to photograph one or at least bring you a legitimate photograph of a black panther. i have no doubt in my mind that i will be UNABLE to find such evidence, proving how positive i feel about my statements.

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    The one I saw was on my property in Louisiana near a reservoir named Toledo Bend...Not Wyoming. It was black are you too stupid to understand that?

This is no myth or hoax. It wasn't a Bobcat, house cat, or a dog. It was a huge panther and left very large tracks. We know what we saw and you weren't there, so you don't know anything, only what you have read. And I think you comprehension is a bit suspect.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    The one I saw was on my property in Louisiana near a reservoir named Toledo Bend...Not Wyoming. It was black are you too stupid to understand that?

This is no myth or hoax. It wasn't a Bobcat, house cat, or a dog. It was a huge panther and left very large tracks. We know what we saw and you weren't there, so you don't know anything, only what you have read. And I think you comprehension is a bit suspect.

Buddy, what part of toledo? We have heard cat screams while night fishing before.... talk about make the hair on the back of your neck stand up for days.

Chiodos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009

it is genetically impossible as everyone intelligent enough of the fact to tell you! i dont care what you saw it was not black, there is no way on Gods green earth that you saw a black cougar. and if you knew anything of the species (which you obviously dont) the puma concolor coryi is the florida panther that is the panther that you saw. the panther in wyoming is puma concolor couguar, also known as the eastern panther. they are essentially the same species aside from their adaptation from different habitats to require the florida panther to be a subspecies of the eastern cougar. the most recent study done in 2003 reviled that there are 87 florida panthers making it critically endangered. where as the eastern cougar is of least concern and wyoming has the highest population of panthers in north america. if there is such thing as a black panther it will be in wyoming... im sorry buddy but get your head out of your ass, our president is black, pluto is no longer a planet, big foot and black panthers do not exist. its a simple true fact. im not worried about what you claim to have seen (remember your getting old! and your eyesight is getting worse day by bad(another sad truth)). the only black panthers you will ever see are either A) jaguars B) melanistic leopards or C) a mob of minorities who hate white folk. tomorrow i will go around and call all the national department of game and fish, as well as send an e-mail to the college's cryptozoologist. just for you buddy.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    it is genetically impossible as everyone intelligent enough of the fact to tell you! i dont care what you saw it was not black, there is no way on Gods green earth that you saw a black cougar. and if you knew anything of the species (which you obviously dont) the puma concolor coryi is the florida panther that is the panther that you saw. the panther in wyoming is puma concolor couguar, also known as the eastern panther. they are essentially the same species aside from their adaptation from different habitats to require the florida panther to be a subspecies of the eastern cougar. the most recent study done in 2003 reviled that there are 87 florida panthers making it critically endangered. where as the eastern cougar is of least concern and wyoming has the highest population of panthers in north america. if there is such thing as a black panther it will be in wyoming... im sorry buddy but get your head out of your ass, our president is black, pluto is no longer a planet, big foot and black panthers do not exist. its a simple true fact. im not worried about what you claim to have seen (remember your getting old! and your eyesight is getting worse day by bad(another sad truth)). the only black panthers you will ever see are either A) jaguars B) melanistic leopards or C) a mob of minorities who hate white folk. tomorrow i will go around and call all the national department of game and fish, as well as send an e-mail to the college's cryptozoologist. just for you buddy.

Dude, seriously, drop it.

Chiodos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dude, seriously, drop it.

i know i should but ole bud here still believes he is higher up than any scientist or anyone who knows anything of the animal. he is calling me stupid, thats like me calling you a dumbass for doubting that mikhail kalashnikov and sergei mosin came over last night to drink some vodka. oh and bigfoot was there too.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    i know i should but ole bud here still believes he is higher up than any scientist or anyone who knows anything of the animal. he is calling me stupid, thats like me calling you a dumbass for doubting that mikhail kalashnikov and sergei mosin came over last night to drink some vodka. oh and bigfoot was there too.

He never said it was a black florida panther. He said he saw a large black cat. Are there not large black cats in existence in the world? Could it not be an escaped cat from some exotic animal collection. It's really in bad taste to continue your current course of action. On some forums I am a member of you would probably have been banned by now.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    Could it not be an escaped cat from some exotic animal collection.

A friend of mine hunts a place in Texas that's near some kind of exotic animal farm. He said at one time some animals got out so you could be hunting whitetails and all of a sudden an Impala (Just an example, I don't remember exactly what exotics they have seen) or something would come out of the brush!

I guess if my friend hadn't known the source of the animals and just saw one while hunting and reported it he would've been roundly criticized as an idiot by all the "experts".

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Buddy, what part of toledo? We have heard cat screams while night fishing before.... talk about make the hair on the back of your neck stand up for days.

My place is located (I sold it several years ago) at the end of Hwy. 1215. It has a Zwollee address, but it is just past Carter Ferry Rd. (Close to the Ethel's Driftwood and Flying Bridge Marina) This area produces some of the best fishing on the lake, if not the best fishing on the lake.

My first trip to Toledo Bend was in 1968 when it just opened. The fishing was fantastic and later on I started fishing Bass tournaments and many were held on the lake. I fell in love with the lake and decided to buy some property and build a house. The lake is 186,000 acres and approximately 70 miles long x 5 miles wide. It is huge and still produces some great stringers of fish to those who know how to fish structure and grass.

Yes, we've heard the cats scream at night and you are right about it giving you the chills.

Buddy

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    My place is located (I sold it several years ago) at the end of Hwy. 1215. It has a Zwollee address, but it is just past Carter Ferry Rd. (Close to the Ethel's Driftwood and Flying Bridge Marina) This area produces some of the best fishing on the lake, if not the best fishing on the lake.

My first trip to Toledo Bend was in 1968 when it just opened. The fishing was fantastic and later on I started fishing Bass tournaments and many were held on the lake. I fell in love with the lake and decided to buy some property and build a house. The lake is 186,000 acres and approximately 70 miles long x 5 miles wide. It is huge and still produces some great stringers of fish to those who know how to fish structure and grass.

Yes, we've heard the cats scream at night and you are right about it giving you the chills.

Buddy

Buddy, lay off him man, I researched Chibos, his real name is Marlin Perkins:mamoru:
    He knows more than us.

Top Bottom