Panther Myth

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    it is genetically impossible as everyone intelligent enough of the fact to tell you! i dont care what you saw it was not black, there is no way on Gods green earth that you saw a black cougar. and if you knew anything of the species (which you obviously dont) the puma concolor coryi is the florida panther that is the panther that you saw. the panther in wyoming is puma concolor couguar, also known as the eastern panther. they are essentially the same species aside from their adaptation from different habitats to require the florida panther to be a subspecies of the eastern cougar. the most recent study done in 2003 reviled that there are 87 florida panthers making it critically endangered. where as the eastern cougar is of least concern and wyoming has the highest population of panthers in north america. if there is such thing as a black panther it will be in wyoming... im sorry buddy but get your head out of your ass, our president is black, pluto is no longer a planet, big foot and black panthers do not exist. its a simple true fact. im not worried about what you claim to have seen (remember your getting old! and your eyesight is getting worse day by bad(another sad truth)). the only black panthers you will ever see are either A) jaguars B) melanistic leopards or C) a mob of minorities who hate white folk. tomorrow i will go around and call all the national department of game and fish, as well as send an e-mail to the college's cryptozoologist. just for you buddy.

Your totally right, I'm old and have underwear older than you. So I want you to come and explain in person, where I can really understand, how I have my head up my ass about black panthers. I live off of Hwy. 22 near Head of Island (address is 11887 Home Port Dr. Maurepas, La 70449). This is not very far from Gonzales and Sorrento. I want you to look me in my old feeble eyes and tell me what you think. Maybe you can convince me that I'm senile and maybe I can convince you that your wrong. Come.

Buddy

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Buddy, I feel your frustration, I think this is like the drown,shoot,prod elec,torture stray cats and dogs threads, you can't win and it does no good for blood pressure,this dude is not going to let it go

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    It has been mentioned before, but what are the chances it is a jaguar? or several? Back in the first half of the 1900s, when the traveling circus was big, most used the rail road for transportation. From what I have been told, it was not uncommon for a train to derail and many of the animals to escape, especially the cats. The supposed chupacabra that was found in DeQuincy is believed to be from a circus train that derailed in the 1940s. I have read a report on the incident that mentioned that most of the larger animals were not able to escape but many of the cats and smaller animals were never found. What is the chance of a jaguar surviving in Louisiana?

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    It has been mentioned before, but what are the chances it is a jaguar? or several? Back in the first half of the 1900s, when the traveling circus was big, most used the rail road for transportation. From what I have been told, it was not uncommon for a train to derail and many of the animals to escape, especially the cats. The supposed chupacabra that was found in DeQuincy is believed to be from a circus train that derailed in the 1940s. I have read a report on the incident that mentioned that most of the larger animals were not able to escape but many of the cats and smaller animals were never found. What is the chance of a jaguar surviving in Louisiana?

unpossible!

stinkysix

Rating - 97.9%
    47   1   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Never seen a black one but have seen a few tan ones and if you do a little research you will find that southwest Louisiana had jaguars up untill the late 1800's. I'm not up on mammal genetics but i did breed snakes for years and the color combinations through selective breeding are endless, i can get you a regular corn snake or a solid white one with black eyes or a white albino with red eyes, or a pink, green, purple, gold, solid black and so on.
    Hell, i once saw a 2 headed ball python with one head white and one head black and the body was pure white to the cloaca(anus) and pure black to the tip of the tail.

Has there ever been an albino cougar, and if there has why not a black cougar?

Never say never!

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    What is the chance of a jaguar surviving in Louisiana?

There are several places that say Louisiana was once part of the jaguar's range.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2006_register&docid=fr12jy06-87
    jaguars in the United States historically occurred in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and possibly Louisiana. The last jaguar sightings in California,
    Texas, and Louisiana were documented in the late 1800s or early 1900s.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    What about black leopard?
    Blackleopard.jpg

Leopards that are completely black in color and are commonly known as "black panthers". The black panther is a member of the same species as the spotted leopard, and are said to be a melanistic morph. Black panthers occur more in areas where the change in coat color helps to camouflage the leopard better. Some examples of where black panthers are more prevalent include rainforest habitats, the Mayan Peninsula and the Ethiopian highlands in Africa

http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/s2008/josephso_kath/Physical Appearance.htm

Last edited:

Kook

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    New Iberia
    One was spotted (and photographed) in or near Slidell but I don't remember anything about it being killed.

I saw an Emu along I-10, right across the border in Mississippi a few years ago. Just walking along the side of the Interstate. I was told that when the market for them never transpired like expected, most folks turned 'em loose rather than feed 'em. (not stating that as fact, so don't dogpile me) :D:D

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The funny thing about all this is that nobody- including myself- can prove what they saw. People use the arguement about "well, somebody would have killed one by now". If someone should see one and shoot it, that would probably be equal to killing a black bear as far as the penalty would go. Of course, the LDWF says they doesn't exist, so....no sweat.:thumbsup:
    Maybe they're right and true "black panthers" don't exist. If they are correct, then I know in my heart that there is a black housecat (or a gigantic black bobcat with a long-ass tail) roaming the Three Rivers-Red River area that is just waiting to shatter the current world record.......

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    If you look in the hunting regs for Louisiana......along with bear and some other protected animals are the Florida Panthers......im guessing it dont matter what color. ;)

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    This isn't what I saw, but I am familiar with black bears- TOO DAMN FAMILIAR.

viewer.php
    [/URL][/IMG]

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Those who say that BLACK PANTHERS do not exist need to realize that in our location panther normally refers to a cougar. In Asia and Africa, panther is used to describe leopards in their black color phase. In South America and Latin America panther is used to describe jaguars or other large felines. There may be no possible way to have a black cougar, as many have stated, however, there are black leopards and black jaguars, therefore there are black panthers. Jaguars used to inhabit the south eastern US, until they were killed off by farmers. Jaguars are found in northern Mexico again, why couldn't they be here again?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom