Panther Myth

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chiodos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Those who say that BLACK PANTHERS do not exist need to realize that in our location panther normally refers to a cougar. In Asia and Africa, panther is used to describe leopards in their black color phase. In South America and Latin America panther is used to describe jaguars or other large felines. There may be no possible way to have a black cougar, as many have stated, however, there are black leopards and black jaguars, therefore there are black panthers. Jaguars used to inhabit the south eastern US, until they were killed off by farmers. Jaguars are being reported in northern Mexico again, why couldn't they be here again?

well if we were in south america or asia you would be correct. but last time i checked this is 'merica. as for emu, my grandfather has kept a few for about 4 years now, and every spring the chicks(wrong word?) simply run under the fence and across the highway, most are killed by rednecks but im sure that there is a small population of emu in winona ms. back on topic, yes a big black cat could have escaped from the zoo (or old circus) or a private collection or even a jag walked from arizona...if that was the case you would have said "it could have been a different species of cat" instead of "its a black florida panther blah blah blah" as soon as we can all agree on the original statement, there is no possible way to have a black puma concolor coryi (florida panther) but if buddy swears he saw a big ass cat then it could have been an escapee or a really motivated jag(not imposible). that way both buddy, and myself would be correct. buddy saw his black large cat and i proved that it was not a florida panther so it was most likely a jag or leopard. is that a good compromise?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I wonder if the Indians back in the day had a similiar "this isn't Europe" arguement about hogs?:dogkeke:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I saw one a few times last year. lol!

Seriously though,

Scotty Ferguson of Hessmer, LA filmed two black panthers/cougars whatever they were(BIG CATS) in his pasture behind his house. After showing a few of us the video he burned a copy and gave one to a Game Warden he knew in Marksville. Game warden's name was Dexter, not sure about the last name.

I've never seen one besides on that video.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I have a friend that I went to collage with who is now a federal wildlife LEO and has basically told me that LDWF does not want to know about them and will not acknowledge their presence.

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    well if we were in south america or asia you would be correct. but last time i checked this is 'merica. as for emu, my grandfather has kept a few for about 4 years now, and every spring the chicks(wrong word?) simply run under the fence and across the highway, most are killed by rednecks but im sure that there is a small population of emu in winona ms. back on topic, yes a big black cat could have escaped from the zoo (or old circus) or a private collection or even a jag walked from arizona...if that was the case you would have said "it could have been a different species of cat" instead of "its a black florida panther blah blah blah" as soon as we can all agree on the original statement, there is no possible way to have a black puma concolor coryi (florida panther) but if buddy swears he saw a big ass cat then it could have been an escapee or a really motivated jag(not imposible). that way both buddy, and myself would be correct. buddy saw his black large cat and i proved that it was not a florida panther so it was most likely a jag or leopard. is that a good compromise?

My original post below.

There is no point in telling you that me, my wife, and son saw a black panther at our camp off of hwy. 1215 on Toledo Bend. Either, three of us had the same dream or it really was a black panther. My son and I both got a real good look at him/her and it was black. Mountain Lion, Cougar, or whatever...he just wouldn't stay around long enough for me to introduce myself and ask.

Just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Buddy

No, no, no.....you can't get off of the hook that easy. I didn't realize you were from Mississippi...I said I saw a large black panther and I did. I didn't say he was from Florida, Texas, Arizonia, or South America. If he was a Jaguar, Leporad, Panther, or Mountain Lion, I don't know. He could have come from South America looking for a Circus for all I know. But you, my boy said it was impossible.

Last edited:

Chiodos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    evidently the myth has been around a long time.... http://www.wtblock.com/wtblockjr/big_cat.htm

exactly that, its a myth! there is no such thing a a black puma concolor, you who have claimed to have seen a big black cat, at least say it is on a species where the black color is feasible. if you had said that you saw a black jaguar then i would have said okay you are one lucky man. no you said you saw a black north american panther. well as long as you believe that you saw a black puma concolor, then i saw a dodo attack a penguin and a zombie, but chuck norris stepped in and beat the hell out of all of them

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    exactly that, its a myth! there is no such thing a a black puma concolor, you who have claimed to have seen a big black cat, at least say it is on a species where the black color is feasible. if you had said that you saw a black jaguar then i would have said okay you are one lucky man. no you said you saw a black north american panther. well as long as you believe that you saw a black puma concolor, then i saw a dodo attack a penguin and a zombie, but chuck norris stepped in and beat the hell out of all of them

First off, I did not claim to have seen a big black cat, I just commented on accounts I have been told of. I have found large cat prints on my property, but it is very hard to tell what color the animal is by just a print unless hair was left behind, which was not.

Secondly, not a single person on this thread has said that they saw a black puma concolor. They said that they saw a large black cat, or a black panther. Panther does not mean puma concolor, it is a descriptive term for a large cat. There are other species of large black cats, therefore there are black panthers, they do exist.

To me it sounds like you just want to argue about a comment that no one made.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Aww hell....It doesn't bother me in the least that some have tried to convince me that I didn't see what I know I saw with my own eyes.
    I'm used to it- the mainstream media and our beloved politicians have been pulling that same **** on all of us for years! :rofl:

Chiodos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    First off, I did not claim to have seen a big black cat, I just commented on accounts I have been told of. I have found large cat prints on my property, but it is very hard to tell what color the animal is by just a print unless hair was left behind, which was not.

Secondly, not a single person on this thread has said that they saw a black puma concolor. They said that they saw a large black cat, or a black panther. Panther does not mean puma concolor, it is a descriptive term for a large cat. There are other species of large black cats, therefore there are black panthers, they do exist.

To me it sounds like you just want to argue about a comment that no one made.

panther means big cat in general, but it depends on your location as to which big cat you are referring to. here is a little example. i played football my senior year, but american "football", i believe is a retarded sport. does it seem right for me to call soccer football? no this is america where football is played with hands and panthers are pumas.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    panther means big cat in general, but it depends on your location as to which big cat you are referring to. here is a little example. i played football my senior year, but american "football", i believe is a retarded sport. does it seem right for me to call soccer football? no this is america where football is played with hands and panthers are pumas.

TOE-MAY-TOE / TOE-MAA-TOE :rofl:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA

So why would you assume that someone talking about a "black panther" is talking about a "florida panther?" ;)

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)

Someone once (paraphrased) said keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you are dumb, rather than opening it and removing all doubt. I think this truly applies to you young man.

I hope you are going into law school. You would argue with a door. A good lawyer is blind to all facts...and your already there.

Buddy;)

Wolfgang1952

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton La, USA
    Like I stated back on page one of this nonsense. I had foot print castings of one hear in the Mt. Hermon-Richardson area. I called the state and talked to head Biologist. I don’t remember his name. He told me to destroy them. I asked him why. He said they did not want to know about them. I asked why again. They did not want the Feds in hear telling us what we could and could not do with our land, period….
    The one I hit with my truck on La 25 was BLACK. I did not run my fingers through its hair. It was splattered all over the road. Its tail was at least 3feet long.
    I have La Game Warden friend, and we have talked about the Florida Black Panthers being in the area.
    Wolf

Leopardcurdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    Hattiesburg, Ms
    Like I stated back on page one of this nonsense. I had foot print castings of one hear in the Mt. Hermon-Richardson area. I called the state and talked to head Biologist. I don’t remember his name. He told me to destroy them. I asked him why. He said they did not want to know about them. I asked why again. They did not want the Feds in hear telling us what we could and could not do with our land, period….
    The one I hit with my truck on La 25 was BLACK. I did not run my fingers through its hair. It was splattered all over the road. Its tail was at least 3feet long.
    I have La Game Warden friend, and we have talked about the Florida Black Panthers being in the area.
    Wolf

Why didn't you take a picture of such a rare critter? I sure would have! Hell, I'd have hauled him home, and skint him out.

Wolfgang1952

LOCAL Fla. Par, Cha. Pres
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Mt Hermon / Franklinton La, USA
    Do you always have a camera with you? I don't have a camera phone. And when this happoned I didn’t even have a camera. It is also 10 year’s puss a 10,000 dollar fine to have one in position. A guy hit a bear a couple of years back, paraded it through town and went to jail. Don’t get caught with it.
    Wolf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom