Plum Crazy Ar Lowers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I don't think my lower gets all that hot. I wouldn't do a plastic upper though...

Well my Kel-Tec SU-16C IS a polymer upper and only weighed 4lbs 10oz when new and no optics or mags, but in it's current configuration it's more like 6 3/4lbs. I've have added a pistol grip/AR stock set up to it and a Red Lion Precision free floated forend on it now which added some weight, but it's still lighter than most AR's. I've had my barrel smoking from excessive "mag dumps before with no ill effects! Todays modern polymers are pretty dang good IMHO. I'm curious about these lowers like everyone else, keep up the good work kajuntrition!

105_3321.jpg

Bam Bam

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    I got a few of them from Todd. Plan to make a cheaper rifle, or pistol that I can carry in the truck. Definately will not have a problem with too much rust on the lower!!

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Bushmaster has been using polymer upper and lowers for years on one of the AR models in .223. http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_carbon15_AZ-C15M4PRE.asp

Dont really know anyone who wons one, but it always been in their online catalog and in stock item. Hell they use it on an upper as well, and like Bam Bam stated the Keltec uses polymer upper and lowers. I know Bam Bam has thousands through this Keltec

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's the upper that takes the force of the cycling bolt and may get hot, not the lower correct? Therefore, I don't see how a polymer AR lower would fail except maybe for butt stroking since the buffer tube is anchored in the lower.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    It's the upper that takes the force of the cycling bolt and may get hot, not the lower correct? Therefore, I don't see how a polymer AR lower would fail except maybe for butt stroking since the buffer tube is anchored in the lower.

A friend had a Hesse polymer lower. It wouldn't cycle more than two rounds without hanging up. Buffer tube alignment issues.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)

I believe what most people were concern about is the fact that all the trigger components are also polymer, not the fact that the frame is.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Oh. PC sells complete lowers, stripped lowers, and trigger groups. The polymer hammer could be switched out.

Just courious, why would you want to switch it usless you either had a problem or if you saw a trend with a high failure rate of the hammers?
    Personally I think it is too soon to tell. I have done research here as well as other sites and I don't think I have found but maybe 2 guys that has ran more than three-hundered rounds using this lower.....VERDICT IS STILL OUT in my opinion!

Pete below is far beyond in the round count than anyone I have found this far! I hope to add to his testing as well!

Personally if I can get 2 to 3K rounds without majory failure or issues I will purchase a third, mount a new upper....... and slide it away for a very nice SHTF
    attachment.php
    weapon! Never worrying about RUST!!!! ;)

I got two from rockmup they are as advertised. 4-5 hd rounds through each. No problems. 2k may be a different story....not there yet. Plastic takedown pins are a bit dinky. They were not intended to be investment builds for me.

Last edited:

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just courious, why would you want to switch it usless you either had a problem or if you saw a trend with a high failure rate of the hammers?
    Personally I think it is too soon to tell. I have done research here as well as other sites and I don't think I have found but maybe 2 guys that has ran more than three-hundered rounds using this lower.....VERDICT IS STILL OUT in my opinion!

Pete below is far beyond in the round count than anyone I have found this far! I hope to add to his testing as well!

Personally if I can get 2 to 3K rounds without majory failure or issues I will purchase a third, mount a new upper....... and slide it away for a very nice SHTF
    attachment.php
    weapon! Never worrying about RUST!!!! ;)

I was just saying that any trigger group could be used with the polymer lower if people were so concerned about the polymer parts.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I was just saying that any trigger group could be used with the polymer lower if people were so concerned about the polymer parts.

OK I thought you were suggesting that YOU would change it! I am still stunned that so many people INCLUDING DIE HARD GLOCK FANS, XD and the rest of the tuperware toten crowd are being so critical of this lower!
    ESPECIALLY since 99.5% of them (NO I DO NOT HAVE HARD FACTS of this PERCENTAGE) have not even seen one of these lowers much less shot or EVEN HANDLED ONE!

;)

KT

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    170 rounds thru her this weekend, NO issues I picked up some tracer rounds and I will try them out just for giggles and grins, reloaded some more mags tonight and stacked the tracers ever 4th round, should look cool if noting else. Maybe tomorrow evening I will burn a mag or two.

So this is still a very low count but it's an on going process so this makes 190 to date.....

do2gomike

Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    lafitte,la
    Well I have one and have put 960 rds through it already really want to see how well it's gonna hold up and how long heck they do carry a lifetime warranty. I have a cmmg 14 1/2 with permanent attched flash hider upper so far no hick ups or problems. Rockmup you're right bro these lowers rock :thumbsup:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Well I have one and have put 960 rds through it already really want to see how well it's gonna hold up and how long heck they do carry a lifetime warranty. I have a cmmg 14 1/2 with permanent attched flash hider upper so far no hick ups or problems. Rockmup you're right bro these lowers rock :thumbsup:

Glad to see someone is shooting theirs besides me.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    ok gonna go with the jsesurplus custom upper minus the bcg and order a cmmg conversion. Slap it on my Plumcrazy lower and see what happens! 15/22 on the chopping block!~

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    0728001811a.jpg

The ultimate budget AR: Plum crazy lower, JSE upper, BSA RGB dot and nifty lazer beam (gosh!) - plus 7 mags, a case, and 400 rounds of ammo, and still under the cost of many uppers - about 700 bucks total invested!

Shot it very briefly, ran 2 mags through with no problems at all. I hope to head to Nick's next weekend and get it all set up nicely.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Swami - nice setup! I have the same, except with a Pentax red dot sight that a good friend (LAcamper) gave me.

Is that the standard handguard that came with the upper? And if so, how'd you add that rail underneath? I wouldn't mind having a small rail like that on which my TLR-1 could mount.

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    Got that rail from the counter at Bayou Dragon... but you can get them online, they're about 10-12 bucks. A search on "AR handguard rail" should bring a number of places to order 'em. I think you need a rail there! :D

Top Bottom