Practicality and tacticality of 12ga. slugs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    So,how effective and accurate are 12 ga slugs out of lets say...a Mossberg 500 security shotgun? How do they stand up against a carbine in a defense situation? How cost effective are they? I usually take it with me when friends and I go out for some rifle plinking. There's usually a .223 or 7.62X39 in the mix and I'm usually the only one with a 12 gauge. I never feel undergunned with a 12ga,even with the lack of firepower,the results that come out of the business end are usually devastating. I'm talkin rifled slugs out of a smooth bore,what do ya'll say?

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    From my experiece slugs out of a smooth bore aren't worth mentioning. Now out of a rifled bore using sabot slugs, Now thats impresive. Smooth bore should be buckshot only. Just my .02

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Not sure on how accurate this is but here you go its a copy paste so dont hang me for it!

The one ounce slug, fired from a 2-3/4-inch Federal, Remington, or Winchester shell, has a one shot stopping success of 98%. A deer barrel with rifle sights is the appropriate platform for this round. It is not the best choice for self defense because aiming becomes the critical factor in effective shot placement. The high probability of scoring hits, an advantage associated with buckshot loads, is lost. Slugs also have ferocious recoil and tend to over penetrate.

Although birdshot is not as lethal as buckshot, even at close range, it may make sense for home or apartment defense where the opportunity exists to injure or kill innocent people behind thin walls in adjacent rooms. For defending a single family home, buffered by land, 00 buck is preferred. The choice for birdshot loads is BB or #4 birdshot. Out to a range of 30 feet or so, birdshot is essentially a solid column of lead pellets. Stopping power may not be sufficient, however, due lack of penetration potential.

At close range, birdshot can destroy a great deal of tissue, producing a gruesome wound. The depth of the injury, however, will likely be six inches or less. This is too shallow to reliably affect an assailant's heart or major cardiovascular blood vessels. Because the wound trauma produced by birdshot is not decisively effective, a quick stop to deadly violence is not guaranteed.

Buckshot loads, on the other hand, will exhibit penetration on the order of 12 inches or so, a depth sufficient to intersect vital blood distribution structures and terminate aggression.

Some misconceptions may exist regarding the spread of shotgun pellets or balls. It is not enough to merely point the shotgun in the general direction of an assailant and let fly. Birdshot or buckshot does not create a huge cone of death and destruction that devastates everything in its path. Rather, for a defense or "riot" shotgun with an 18- to 20-inch open choked "improved cylinder" barrel, the pellets will spread out about one inch for every yard of range traveled. Across a large room of 18 feet or so, the spread will only be about 6 inches, a circle as big as a coffee cup saucer. At 50 feet, the spread will only be about 16 inches, the size of a large pizza. It is obvious from this information that a shotgun blast will not incapacitate multiple assailants at close range.

The shotgun must be skillfully aimed and fired. Aiming is just not quite as precise as that required for a handgun or autoloader to score multiple hits on an aggressor. The massive firepower of the shotgun will likely produce a favorable outcome in any self defense encounter.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm thinking guys doing three gun are shooting barrels at 100 yards with smooth bore/slugs.

Close quarters???? I'd just stick with 00 buck. Slugs have ridiculous penetration. Even 00 buck at close ranges has some serious penetration, but if it won't penetrate walls, will it penetrate bad guys enough for appropriate damage. I can't see ever using bird shot for SD.

The one place I see slugs being useful is on a side saddle, keep a couple in case you need some penetration.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    This is what they said about the Buckshot, again copy paste!

The 12 gauge shotgun is the most devastating and lethal weapon yet devised for inflicting rack and ruin at close range. A safe bet for ammunition selection is to use the 2-3/4-inch 00 buckshot load. The impact of one of these shot shells is essentially equivalent to getting hit with a nine round burst from a submachine gun.

It is probably a good idea to avoid the 2-3/4- and 3-inch "Magnum" loads. Their brutal kick makes them a bad choice, and little is gained over the stopping power of standard rounds. Controllability is important, and standard 12 gauge shotgun shells have plenty of kick already.

Some shooters prefer #4 or #1 buckshot over 00 buck. Real world one shot stopping success of the #4 buck is a respectable 81-83%. Data hasn't been collected for the #1 buck, but its performance should be even better.

fastmover

fastmover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    lafayette, la
    the answer is always OO buck.

if you have a rifled shotie, keep a couple slugs in case you have to hit out to 75 yrd or shoot through a car door.

keep in mind shooting somebody at 75 yrd is prolly not self defense, it's just shooting somebody.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KdW2TAfN3mQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KdW2TAfN3mQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

or

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FhgwHQCJwWw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FhgwHQCJwWw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This is what they said about the Buckshot, again copy paste!

The 12 gauge shotgun is the most devastating and lethal weapon yet devised for inflicting rack and ruin at close range. A safe bet for ammunition selection is to use the 2-3/4-inch 00 buckshot load. The impact of one of these shot shells is essentially equivalent to getting hit with a nine round burst from a submachine gun.

It is probably a good idea to avoid the 2-3/4- and 3-inch "Magnum" loads. Their brutal kick makes them a bad choice, and little is gained over the stopping power of standard rounds. Controllability is important, and standard 12 gauge shotgun shells have plenty of kick already.

Some shooters prefer #4 or #1 buckshot over 00 buck. Real world one shot stopping success of the #4 buck is a respectable 81-83%. Data hasn't been collected for the #1 buck, but its performance should be even better.

Are the standard shells referenced the same as reduced recoil?

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I don't ever use 3"magnums. What's the difference between 0BK and 00BK?
    For home defense,I've always trusted my Mossberg 500A. Simple,effective and durable. The only option I have in it is a side saddle for extra shells...that's it.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Left to Right:
    7 1/2---4BK---1BK---0BK---00BK---000BK---Slug

attachment.php

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    My 870 police with rifle sights and a smooth improved cylinder bore will shoot federal low recoil slugs at 75 yds into a 5 inch circle. I have not shot it any further.

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    Birdshot = Too much surface area, too little penetration. Shallow, bloody, but not deadly.

Slugs = Too little surface area, way too much penetration. Most of the round's energy is lost to whatever's behind the target, instead of getting dumped into the target.

Sabots = See slugs... just not as bad due to expansion in the target.

Buckshot = Enough size to penetrate, great energy deliverance. The ideal.

============================

The difference between the slug and the rifle rounds mentioned is that the slugs are about 1/2 - 1/3 the speed of the round, but 6-8 times the lead. Same amount of energy, per se, but much more momentum. Those rifles are dumping energy onto the target, while the slug sails through.

If overpenetration's not an issue, slugs will do just fine, it's just that they have much more recoil than shot.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Slugs = Too little surface area, way too much penetration. Most of the round's energy is lost to whatever's behind the target, instead of getting dumped into the target.

QUOTE]

Too little surface area? Compared to what? A 12 ga slug is more than 1/2" in diameter! Compared to a Lahti, or .577 T-rex? maybe. Compared to a .223 or 7.62 x 39? ha! Oh, and as far as the energy getting dumped into the wall behind the target (which is something I've pointed out in several discussions myself on rifle power) lets not forget the probably 3" exit wound and blood loss.

Question: Not that this is a frequent occurnace, but what if the perp is wearing a 2nd chance type vest? How would shotguns compare to .223?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom