Practicality and tacticality of 12ga. slugs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Birdshot = Too much surface area, too little penetration. Shallow, bloody, but not deadly. under 10 yards, its very deadly, will render things unrecognizable

Slugs = Too little surface area, way too much penetration. Most of the round's energy is lost to whatever's behind the target, instead of getting dumped into the target. say what you want, Every deer I have shot with a slug has dropped in its tracks even though they have gone through and through. There is a lot of energy in those things

Sabots = See slugs... just not as bad due to expansion in the target.

Buckshot = Enough size to penetrate, great energy deliverance. The ideal. again tracked a lot of deer shot with buckshot, did not find all of them. Also know of a shooting where suspect was shot at several times, was hit several times, but was able to flee and run for some distance. He is now alive and well serving a life sentence.

============================

The difference between the slug and the rifle rounds mentioned is that the slugs are about 1/2 - 1/3 the speed of the round, but 6-8 times the lead. Same amount of energy, per se, but much more momentum. Those rifles are dumping energy onto the target, while the slug sails through.

If overpenetration's not an issue, slugs will do just fine, it's just that they have much more recoil than shot.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Buckshot is a tool with specific, impressive results, but is not a substitute for a rifle.

;)

After taking shotgun classes at Thunder Ranch and with Awerbuck, I can't imagine using anything but slugs in a shotgun... YMMV.

Consider that under stress the majority of shots fired MISS. You have now put 9 rounds in the air that will cover 10-ish feet at 100 yards and each one still carries enough energy to kill.

Did you mean buckshot?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Okay. I think I misread his last statement. He's seeing the 9 pellets as a risk for collateral damage rather than increasing the chance of a hit.

Correct. Either one is better in a different situation. Obviously if you have a wide open shot with a clear backdrop a buckshot will not be a liability but if you are in a home/vehicle/business defense situation where your backstop might end up be a determining factor, 1 projectile is preferred over 9.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Buckshot requires the user to still do his part. Its not like you can go willy nilly shooting buckshot and the round will make the hit for you.

So if the shot is well placed, why not shoot them with a slug?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    When a bad guy has your daughter with a knife to her throat are you going to wish for buck or slugs? Or maybe you will be cool enough to do a "select slug" transition to the slugs on your sidesaddle. Oh wait they all fell out in the chase because you were carrying them in the side saddle brass down. Crap all you got now is some bird. Are you going to make the shot?

My primary bedside shotgun has always and will always have nothing but slugs. And yes I can make that headshot under stress.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    Now with this vast information go to a range and see what each type of shell will do in your shotgun. If you can, put a sheet rock up behind your target and see what it will do as far as penetration etc. If you live by your self or don't have people living close by then just shoot what ever you have. Its not like the movies you still have to aim a shotgun.

Shotgun= 5 to 8 rounds loaded
    Pistol= 10 to 17 rounds loaded
    Revolver= 5 to 6 rounds loaded
    AR-15's
    Carbine's= 10 to 28 rounds loaded

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    When a bad guy has your daughter with a knife to her throat are you going to wish for buck or slugs? Or maybe you will be cool enough to do a "select slug" transition to the slugs on your sidesaddle. Oh wait they all fell out in the chase because you were carrying them in the side saddle brass down. Crap all you got now is some bird. Are you going to make the shot?

My primary bedside shotgun has always and will always have nothing but slugs. And yes I can make that headshot under stress.

Maybe you need a pistol or rifle.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Au contraire, sir.

I have stood over the still-warm evidence indicating otherwise.

At room distances, a load of #8s in the upper chest will kill you just as dead as a slug, or buckshot, or a rifle round.

Especially when fired from a full-choked 1100 by a thoroughly pissed-off housewife. Gad, what a mess that was...

I concur.

And I have stood over/around 3 such incidents. The flow/blast of fat tissue alone is almost enough to make you hurl. Think "wallpaper" of 1/4" fat chunks and you'll get the drift.

I'll also take your money, gladly and laugh at you all day long, if you think inside the 50-75 meter envelope in particular that slugs won't do for accuracy. The most certainly do. And do a SPECTACULAR job on car bodies, human bodies and various and sundry masonry that may be between same.

I, at distance of out to 25 yards, prefer 00b for the reasons LSU stated. But indoors, I'll go with #4 buck anytime. Just have a LOT of trigger time with that (from the same timeframe he mentioned), and I feel very comfortable with the loading inside 25 yards.

Totally indoors, with sheetrock as a backstop? I'm talking inside a room, #7 or #8 shot, high brass, will drop you quicker than a lava rock in bare hand. particularly if I get your head/face in the sight picture.

Seen what I am referring to. And what I am saying is what I am loading.

YMMV, and probably will.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I am not ashamed to say that I have too weak a shoulder to use slugs for self defense shooting. Not necessarily in terms of actually using the weapon on another human being (although follow up shots would be a concern), but training/practicing enough to really feel competent with the weapon. My living situation suits the 00 bk perfectly, I'm very comfortable with the way it patterns at in-the-house distances, and I have much more practice (and desire to keep practicing) with it than if it was full of Buckhammer or other rifled slugs.

Top Bottom