Practicality and tacticality of 12ga. slugs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    100 yards

this was 100 yards with a remington 1100, rifled barrel, Federal premium sabot slugs

senseiturtle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2007
    South Carolina
    Glock 9mm is more deadlier then say SIG 9mm?

In reality - No.
    According to certain gun forums - Yes.

There are people out there who'd spend all afternoon comparing arbitrary data to prove it. It's pretty silly, but this is the "internetz" afterall.

---back to topic-----

I have no doubt a shotgun slug will do the trick, whether or not, but especially if you use a sabot or other giant hollowpoint. The deadliness is not in question. The issue is - there are better options. I would rather make sure that no energy is wasted through overpenetration.

If you live by yourself out in the country, then sure, slugs are probably a lot more feasible. If you're in a crowded apartment complex and have a wife and 2 kids, and your neighbors have kids, and there are multiple units between you and the nearest brick wall or wide open space... then using slugs is a very bad idea.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    this was 100 yards with a remington 1100, rifled barrel, Federal premium sabot slugs

Long, rifled barrel + top-of-the-line sabot slugs > 18.5" smooth bore + TOL rifled slugs.

But good shooting, for sure. I don't really think anyone is disputing the accuracy potential of slugs-- even in a home defense package. Honestly, they're really easy to shoot out of my Ghost Ring/blade set-up, although as I said a while back, I had 5 of 5 effective hits with a bead at 50 yards the last time I shot slugs.

I still think it's all about where you live, what distances at which you're engaging, and the trade-offs you're willing (or forced) to make. Whoever pointed out that we're having this argument because shotguns are so versatile-- 100 points, perfect answer. And even in terms of home defense, that versatility is a boon, not a bane-- there's a right choice for everyone in every situation.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've never saw a person shot with a slug. Plenty of buck or bird shot but not a slug. I'm guessing from my hunting experiences if you put the round where it needs to go the bullet will do it's part.

Dave

Top Bottom