Review of Roaming Shot Range (1000 yard facility) Slaughter, LA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    I’ve attended many classes at Thunder Ranch, Shootrite, Rangemaster, Yavapai with Louis Awerbuck, Tactical Response, private classes with my sons, done stints in USPSA, High Power, and Three Gun – I've been on a lot of ranges. It occurred to me that pound for pound, hour for hour, my first trip to Roaming Shot was one of my best range trips ever.

I met an expert. Ben Fabre provides a facility and understanding designed to demonstrate the potential of the shooter and equipment. Roaming Shot Range in Slaughter, LA has a 1000 yard capability. I scheduled a morning with Ben because I have two rifles I enjoy and two rifles I’ve been fighting. I’m lucky to be a member of Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club, which has multiple ranges allowing for rifle shooting out to 600 yards. I hoped to see what I could do with a 20” Grendel beyond the 600 yard line and to see what a short barrel Grendel was capable of. I also have a freshly scoped custom 700 and AR-10, both in 308. I was struggling to get the 700 to group to the capability of the Krieger barrel and the AR-10 to work at all with a suppressor attached.

When you arrive at Roaming Shot, you walk up stairs to an air conditioned second story room with several windows you can shoot from. There are screens mounted next to you to show hits on the steel targets out to 1000 yards. A work bench has a plethora of tools behind the shooters and there is a drink/snack station to the side. We got started with the 20” Noveske barreled Grendel. Ben asked to shoot the gun to see what it was doing and put a few rounds down range to feel her out. After getting the velocity from a Garmin Xero and running a ballistic calculator, I got behind the glass and get direction to shoot the steel deer at 300, square metal at 400, bear at 540, pink bullseye at 700 – Ben is calling how many minutes to dial in, and I’m getting hits. At 800 I’m thrilled. I believed I had a legitimate 800+ yard gun but I hadn’t proved it – then I got three hits at 900. “Go to the buffalo at 1000. Give me another 5 minutes.” I turned the scope elevation up – and hit a wall. I only had another two minutes to give. Murphy laughs – I don’t have the scope in a base with any built in elevation. I’ve never had a better excuse to get a new mount. For the record, the barrel likes Hornady 123 Gr SST and does nothing but produce sub MOA groups.

The second rifle was also a 6.5 Grendel, but with a 12.5” Noveske barrel. Hornady has recently released a 100gr V-Match ELD-VT and the scuttlebutt on the interwebs is that it performs in general and out of short barrels specifically. This was my first outing of consequence with the 100 gr, so Ben zero’d the gun. His final group at 100 was less than half an inch – Hornady and Noveske are doing it right. Ben got back behind the spotting scope and walked me out. With an old US Optics SR6 1.5-6 scope, I got 3/3 hits at 600. For the record, that 100 gr bullet at the muzzle is making 2,450-2,475 FPS for about 1,350 ft/lbs of energy. Call me old fashioned, but I think the short 6.5 Grendels are the sweet spot for a light gun that can deliver enough power for deer and hogs at the distances most people actually shoot.

We moved on to the Remington 700. I’d told Ben about my concerns and the first thing he did was check the torque on every fastener and bolt on the gun. He used a digital in/lb driver. I was surprised to hear his call outs – “That isn’t even 13 in/lbs, only 25 ft lbs, over 60 in/lbs” etc – I laughed and give credit to a member of Sniper's Hide who recently disparaged inexpensive analog manual adjustment in/lb drivers, which I had used. It may, as it turns out, be worth investing in a quality digital in/lb driver if you’re playing the precision rifle game. My second thanks to Sniper's Hide is the same member donated a 50% off US Optics certificate to my cause which I used to purchase a FDN-17X. The scope is excellent thus far. Ben mentioned he’d prefer more positive clicks, but other than that he had nothing but praise. The glass is super clear and it seems to be a very well built scope. I’m out to wear out the barrel in an effort to learn the capability of the 18” 308 in conjunction with that scope.

One of the most important things I learned was that the parallax markings on scopes are, at best, a rough guide. In the past, I've just dialed to the distance marked. Ben explained the specific magnification being used, shooters eye and so forth meant it is to be determined by actually moving your head to see if the reticle “floats” and if you can’t move around a little without the reticle adjusting, the parallax isn’t right. I found this particularly interesting because I initially complained the US Optics specifically only has one marking for 100 yards; other than that, it is just a smaller to larger rheostat laser engraving. That turns out to be the right way to do it.

Ben went on to prove to me that the 700 was shooting, and that I hadn’t set my scope up properly for my eye. It needed to come back more than half an inch, but he adjusted the rings in moments and gave me a few pointers about how I was manipulating the rifle and magically I was stacking rounds. Ben shot a group that was less than an inch and a half at 300 yards. After a sub MOA group of my own, we moved on to my nemesis.

Years ago I built an AR-10. I thought I had the ideal parts and configuration. I spec’d everything and it was a laser beam unsuppressed and a jam-o-matic with a can up front. For years I toyed with mags, ammo, springs, adjustable gas blocks, buffers etc. Ultimately, I've switched to a Noveske 16” barrel with a switch block, KAK bolt with dual ejectors and a 9.5 oz KAK buffer – she runs like a top with a Sandman K up front. The gun is shooting less than an inch and flinging brass out 20 feet at three o’clock. I’m not sure if Roaming Shot brings good luck or I finally threw enough money and parts at a problem to find success, but that rifle ran 100% and demonstrated it may be possible for a suppressed AR-10 to run even if it isn’t a $5000+ factory rifle.

Going 4 for 4 makes for a great day – zero malfunctions and the arrows were flew straight and far. Turns out the Indian needed a little work and the set ups got some tweaking, but Ben had both under control. I can’t recommend the experience enough. His minor corrections – put that thumb over here, pay more attention to your level, try pulling the butt of the rifle more toward your center – all tightened me up.

If you’re anywhere near Slaughter, LA and you consider yourself an enthusiast with anything that resembles a capable rifle – you owe yourself a trip. After a couple hours, you’ll know what you and your equipment can actually do in tandem and if you have any areas that are correctable – either physically or mechanically – chances are Ben will fix it in real time. Check them out at https://www.roamingshot.com/.

Attachments

• 20240827_095804.jpg
      20240827_095804.jpg
      673.6 KB · Views: 40
    • 20240827_121216.jpg
      20240827_121216.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 36
    • Screenshot_20240828_202814_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20240828_202814_Gallery.jpg
      291.9 KB · Views: 39
    • 20240827_104254.jpg
      20240827_104254.jpg
      562.5 KB · Views: 38

Big_Chris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2021
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm there almost every weekend. Ben worked really hard to make a magic place to shoot! one of my favorite parts is the other members- everyone helps and encourages (and talk a little in good fun smack sometimes too).

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    Follow up -

So, my sons have matching AR-10s, and they were equally frustrating. After getting #1 working, I decided to put the new bolt and buffer in the other gun and lo and behold - I didn't need to rebarrel after all, now they both run 100%. C'est la vie said the old folks. Turns out if you have bullets that are three times the size and weight generating three times the power, you might need a buffer that is twice as heavy and a bolt with dual ejectors for twice the (br)ass kicking out ability. Big ups to KAK as the kids say, less the $200 to fix between their 308 bolt and 9.3 oz buffer.

But the weather had other plans - so my trip to Palo Alto got pushed and pushed. I decided to throw a Hail Mary yesterday afternoon and emailed Ben to see if he had availability this morning, and it all worked out - just like Lil Wayne said it would.

I brought the twins, their 556 carbines and 308 AR's out this AM and we had a morning to remember. Their previous max distance was 400 yards with the 556's but today they got our to 600 with a 3.5x35 ACOG (ladder reticle) and a very, very old Vortex Razor first generation 1-4x. They had reticle sub tensions printed out to take detailed notes as to indications versus reality. We then got both the AR-10s out that far with 150 gr soft point hunting ammo with Ben behind the glass, calling out the elevations. Zero malfunctions and brass kicking out at 3 o'clock brings a tear to my eye.

Props to Griffin Armament. We used a Micro Optimus on a new carbine this AM and it is really excellent bang for the buck on a size/weight/performance ratio. The can is marketed as a 22LR rated for 5.56 - I've only used it for 5.56 and I'm impressed. It doesn't defy physics, I wouldn't call it hearing safe per se but if you were hog hunting it is a very good option if you're trying to stay short and light while not outright blowing out your ears. It is pictured below.

We also screwed a can back on my 700, and today I bought my hunting ammo. That gun loves Hornady 168 AMAX, which used to be marketed as a hunting bullet and has served me well in south Texas. We zero'd it at 100 and Ben jumped straight to the steel bear at 540 yards. The AMAX slammed into the bear's steel spine on his first call. 700, 900 and there we were - 1000 yards. Flight time is forever. There is a screen on the target and you have time to reflect on your hold and trigger break - and whether you should have opted for another couple inches of barrel - then believe you probably missed - then see the bullet splatter on the steel. It's magical. There is something about shooting a target over a half mile away and getting that confirmation I can't convey with words. All three of us rang the steel at distance, and all three were presented with "Roaming Shot 1000 Yard Club" badges. I dialed back down to 100 to make sure everything was as it should be and was happy to put a couple rounds into the X.

At that point we called it a win and went to hit Sweet Rice Thai Cuisine in Greenwell Springs. I'm a ride or die with Thai Pepper on Florida, but we wouldn't have made it in time for a relaxed lunch before closing time. Sweet Rice is super fantastic meal and I couldn't have hoped for a better father/son experience on a rainy day.

Attachments

• 556 carbine reaching out.jpg
      556 carbine reaching out.jpg
      196 KB · Views: 15
    • 1000 yards.jpg
      1000 yards.jpg
      257 KB · Views: 16
    • Griffin Micro.jpg
      Griffin Micro.jpg
      250 KB · Views: 17
    • Sweet Rice.jpg
      Sweet Rice.jpg
      374.8 KB · Views: 13
    Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Hey Unc, let me catch a ride with you next time !

Great write up, I’d love to bring a couple rifles to a place exactly like that with experience and coaching.

Top Bottom