RJF 1,000 Yard AK

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    It is tenths of an inch. MOA is a measurement of angles - basically how wide/obtuse or skinny/acute the angle is. In "surveyors units" angles are measured not in decimal degrees, but in degrees/minutes/seconds. Think of it like a clock, because that's how it is. 60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in a degree. MOA is one minute of one degree. .7MOA at 1000 yards is 7" because of how the math works out. Keep in mind, it's a very approximated number, and I don't feel like doing the trig to find the real number, but 7" is "close enough" to .7MOA. - 1MOA is 1" at 100 yards (give or take a very small fraction) and 10" at 1000 yards by multiplication. So .7MOA = 7".

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Most ranges don't have a 1,000 yard area and until you actually see what that looks like for yourself it is hard to appreciate what a feat it is to stay under a MOA at that range! I joined Long Range Alley and they have a 1,000 yard range and it is awesome! I was impressed when a friend I was spotting for hit the man sized silhouette at 600 yards much less had any kind of "group!"

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I was happy that I was able to keep it under 3.5 MOA at1,000
    With
    My Barrett
    I've never shot at a range further than about 150 yards. Furthest I ever took a deer was 250 yards, and given that I've only practiced up to 150 yards - I accept some luck :P

1000 yards? Sheesh. If I could just find a bullet hole anywhere on whatever I shot at, I'd be happy, even if it's the neighbors abandoned barn!!

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I've never shot at a range further than about 150 yards. Furthest I ever took a deer was 250 yards, and given that I've only practiced up to 150 yards - I accept some luck :P

1000 yards? Sheesh. If I could just find a bullet hole anywhere on whatever I shot at, I'd be happy, even if it's the neighbors abandoned barn!!

At the Barrett class I hit a 40x40 inch target (unknown distance) over a mile away.

I'd have to check my logbook, but it was 72 or 73 MOA from my 300 yard zero

uscbigdawg

One of the lucky few...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Shooters Paradise = Mesa, AZ
    7" group at a grand is a seriously good group for a bolt gun, much less an auto. I'd like to see a side by side comparison with the SASS.

As for caliber, it's got to be 308. I just don't see 7.62x39 having enough ass to get to 1k.

Rich

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    At the Barrett class I hit a 40x40 inch target (unknown distance) over a mile away.

I'd have to check my logbook, but it was 72 or 73 MOA from my 300 yard zero
    lol

Man, I love what people can do with good tools and machines. I understand the geometry very well, but I've never been behind a rifle that was worth attempting that kind of shooting. One day :) I'm meaning to get a membership, soon, over at Fusilier Complex and get practicing out to 300 yards. Then maybe one day I'll see about a class or intro day at Palo Alto. For now I'll just stand back and admire the accomplishments of accomplished marksmen.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    As a side note, 1 MOA = 1.0472" at 100 yards. It's just easier to use 1".

Rich

That works fine for short distances, but when you start getting out there that extra .0472" begins to add up. If you have to come up 16 MOA to go from 100 to 600 yards, that is 100.53" rather than 96" at 600 yards. 4.5" puts you out of the 10 ring and likely out of the 9 on an F Class target.

Coonie

Damn Yankee.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Evanston IL
    Great work by Red Jacket!

I think it doesn't even feel like work in that shop. Yeah they hustle and crank out some cool guns, but everybody is loving their jobs and having a good time, and when you love what you do you never work a day in your life.

My 2 favorite episodes were Will taking care of the WWII vet and giving him a great deal of respect, and the wounded Marine getting set up for a hog hunt. "Your Aces Will!"

uscbigdawg

One of the lucky few...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Shooters Paradise = Mesa, AZ
    That works fine for short distances, but when you start getting out there that extra .0472" begins to add up. If you have to come up 16 MOA to go from 100 to 600 yards, that is 100.53" rather than 96" at 600 yards. 4.5" puts you out of the 10 ring and likely out of the 9 on an F Class target.

Group size and what you dial for adjustments are completely different bananas (since group size is what we were talking about) and after doing better than average at the Allegheny Sniper Challenge 308 only match, I think I know a little about dialing elevation and reading the wind at distance. It's one thing to shoot fixed distance targets off a vice/bi-pod. It's another to hit UKD targets at over 1k in >20 mph steady winds, in the weather, at elevation and prone on a mat being a dream.

Rich

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Group size and what you dial for adjustments are completely different bananas (since group size is what we were talking about) and after doing better than average at the Allegheny Sniper Challenge 308 only match, I think I know a little about dialing elevation and reading the wind at distance. It's one thing to shoot fixed distance targets off a vice/bi-pod. It's another to hit UKD targets at over 1k in >20 mph steady winds, in the weather, at elevation and prone on a mat being a dream.

Rich

Maybe he was just clarifying you statement for all of us who do not know.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    That would depend on whether the sight/optic was set up for shooter's MOA or real MOA.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington

Rich

Then measure group size in inches if you like. .7 MOA at 1000 yards is 7.33", not 7". If the rifle shot a 7" group at 1000 yards, say so, just dont confuse the terms if you know better.

I wouldn't know about shooting targets off of a vice/bipod. It would be nice to shoot in a steady wind though.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    That would depend on whether the sight/optic was set up for shooter's MOA or real MOA.

Frankly, you are lucky to find sights or optics that are true MOA. My Leupold 6.5x20 seems to be. My Tubb rifle isn't because sight movement is dependant on barrel length and my bloop tube extends mine a bit. I know that my service rifle moves a precise amount per click, but I have never calculated whether that is equal to true 1/4 MOA. The only way to know for sure is to test your gear.

Top Bottom