Sniper Tower in Walmart Parking Lot... Has it gotten that bad?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Was in New Orleans a couple of nights ago and happened to stop at the Walmart in Chalmette (on Claiborne?). As we pulled in to the Walmart parking lot there was a trailer-mounted tower with an observation post on top, sitting in the parking lot, nearer to the parking lot entrance than to the store. Had a flashing blue light on top, and a police vehicle sitting at the base of the tower. The observation booth was about 20 ft up in the air. I was with a bunch of military guys and all were remarking (halfway serious) of how ludicrous to have a sniper tower in the Walmart parking lot. There were at least two other police vehicles parked near the entrance to the store, but nothing going on inside.

Any idea what such a tower is really used for?

When I lived in McAllen, TX we had those towers all over the place where people would go at night (malls, movie theaters, clubs, etc.)
    The purpose is to allow a security-guard/officer to spot vehicle theft or a fight.
    It's not a "sniper tower", it's an observation post.
    Glad to see them coming to LA. Maybe violent crime will drop to Mexican border levels here now.(Surprised me to learn my new home is more violent than my old border-town of McAllen).

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    When I lived in McAllen, TX we had those towers all over the place where people would go at night (malls, movie theaters, clubs, etc.)
    The purpose is to allow a security-guard/officer to spot vehicle theft or a fight.
    It's not a "sniper tower", it's an observation post.
    Glad to see them coming to LA. Maybe violent crime will drop to Mexican border levels here now.(Surprised me to learn my new home is more violent than my old border-town of McAllen).

These towers are an offense. Only a **** for brains would like them.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    These towers are an offense. Only a **** for brains would like them.

You think it's offensive for security/officers to be able to see what is going on in a parking-lot where a lot of theft/violence has historically occurred?

Would that imply that a patrol officer is an offense and only **** for brains like cops?

Same concept right down to "public presence and monitoring the area".

It's a **** for brains that thinks the little vehicle they drive around the parking-lot in is effective when they can only see one row of cars at a time. This tower is a force-multiplier that allows that security detail to monitor the whole parkinglot.

What EXACTLY offends you about the tower? They are being placed in areas where they need to be. I don't see them in nice areas. I only saw/heard about them in higher crime areas. Act a child, get supervised. Cause/effect. Probably belong right where they are.

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    No! It is reminiscent af Nazi history. First it is for your protection. Then to control you. Initially they are in "needed" areas. Then they are in "good" neighborhoods. Wake up! This is not good.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    No! It is reminiscent af Nazi history. First it is for your protection. Then to control you. Initially they are in "needed" areas. Then they are in "good" neighborhoods. Wake up! This is not good.

They are going to control us with small mobile towers? Come on. They are there because the trash in that area can't behave and needs closer monitoring.

Are the black uniforms that LSP wears also a sobering reminder of the SS uniforms? Has "the system" been in place since the first Sheriff was elected? When will they "tighten the noose"!?

It's fun to don the foil-hat every now and then, and it even has its place, but this isn't it. It's a seasonal countermeasure against the rampant stupidity that historically racks those areas during christmas. How many people was it again that were shot in New Orleans the last holiday night they had? Over a dozen?

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    They are going to control us with small mobile towers? Come on. They are there because the trash in that area can't behave and needs closer monitoring.

Are the black uniforms that LSP wears also a sobering reminder of the SS uniforms? Has "the system" been in place since the first Sheriff was elected? When will they "tighten the noose"!?

It's fun to don the foil-hat every now and then, and it even has its place, but this isn't it. It's a seasonal countermeasure against the rampant stupidity that historically racks those areas during christmas. How many people was it again that were shot in New Orleans the last holiday night they had? Over a dozen?

When most people think of a police state gaurd towers come to mind. It is but a piece of the puzzle. Not the whole puzzle.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    When most people think of a police state gaurd towers come to mind. It is but a piece of the puzzle. Not the whole puzzle.

They also think of black uniforms :eek3:

Seriously? How is this a mystery? High crime area + Holiday = Increased Police Presence.
    Observation towers allow less officers to do more work as they can better survey the area.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    They also think of black uniforms :eek3:

Seriously? How is this a mystery? High crime area + Holiday = Increased Police Presence.
    Observation towers allow less officers to do more work as they can better survey the area.

To me they are an offense. I don't need people looking over my shoulder under the guise of "protecting me". I have a CCP and a loaded pistol to do that.

del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    Yes. I have no problems with patrols. There is a psychological element to people elevating themselves above you.

Think of it as a physical element elevating itself above physical obstacles enableing the police to do its job better.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Think of it as a physical element elevating itself above physical obstacles enableing the police to do its job better.

NO! Absolutely not...
    Vught4.gif

Top Bottom