Sniper Tower in Walmart Parking Lot... Has it gotten that bad?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I don't remember everyone agreeing on it being wreck less driving, I believe some others said something along the lines of he was getting a better view of your license plate, seeing if you would take off/run, or he was just bored probably. And I don't think he personally called you **** for brains.
    I said I was glad to see them. He then quoted my post and said only someone with **** for brains would like them. What exactly do you think he was trying to say. Reference page 2. As to the other, no point bleeding one thread into another, that one ran its course and I have nothing more to say that I didn't already in it.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    with you all the way on your thoughts...... man I hate big box stores. shope at rouse's and your local ACE franchise hardware store etc.

EXACTLY!!!! Peace be with you:}

WATCH EM BUCKO.....

walmart.jpg
    [/IMG]

geauxbubba

"No Comment"
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Lacombe
    The Chalmette Wal-Mart is not far from the New Orleans, and during Christmas time it is packed with shoppers. This attracts the criminals like ants to a picnic. Car jackers, armed robberies, pick-pockets, you name it, it happens there. Bravo to the Sheriff's office for using the observation booth as a tool to prevent crime.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    The Chalmette Wal-Mart- Car jackers, armed robberies, pick-pockets, you name it, it happens there. Bravo to the Sheriff's office for using the observation booth as a tool to prevent crime.

Thank you for that; NOW........Why do I want my friends and family to stay clear of those Wal-Marks? Oh you just mentioned a few reasons, thank you.
    Merry Christmas

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Last night I was lit like a dog on Knob Creek. With a clearer head I will restate my position. Since the 911 bombings the federal government has been eroding our personal liberties all in the name of homeland security. As this has occurred the constitution and our rights are being ignored more and more. Rather than fixing the real problem (criminals) the federal government through funding to local departments pay for these portable towers. Are we as a society so evil and violent we need these watch towers to look over us. Are things so bad these towers are necessary to be set up at our big box stores? Why are they even here? In my personal opinion it is to desensitize us. Why else would the police set them up in such a conspicious place during the busiest shopping time of the year. A few people will be upset at first then things will quieten down. What are they preparing the American people for? I don't consider my self a tin foil hat conspiracist. These are valid questions. Our country is being bankrupted as Europes economy teeters on collapse and we have the money to spend on these luxuries?

JWG223 - Glad to see them coming to LA. Maybe violent crime will drop to Mexican border levels here now.

Do you really think these towers will decrease violent crime? What are the police going to do? Put them up at every businss? And you are glad to see them in LA. Why not put a barbed wire fence around the parking lot with a gaurd to let people in/out. But only if they have their papers. The fact is they are a symbol of an oppressive police state. They have nothing to do with crime and everything to do with control. I have stated my position but have several questions for you. America does not have money to waste. How can you justify the cost? Shouldn't Wal Mart, The Home Depot, Lowes, etc. pay for their own security? Their use will be extremly limited for parking lot surveillance. How will this have any significant impact lowering "violent crime"? Is crime so bad police watch towers need to be set up on private property to survey the public? In my opinion they are a waste of my tax dollars. Personally I think who ever manufactures these towers has friends in high places and pockets are being filled with our taxdollars. So to me they are an offense!

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I'm 6'2". :p

Me, I'm 6'3, 220. Tall people are good and so are shorter people. Seems that way.

First, they used trains for hauling cattle to slaughter. Then, people got used to them. Then, they used the "cattle" cars to haul people to slaughter (WW2). Now, we have CHECKPOINTS/ROADBLOCKS on our highways. People are used to them. Then, overnite these will be used to SHUTDOWN/CONTROL all travel. Now, we have the so called RED LIGHT CAMERAS/SENSORS to make enforcement for our "safety". Then, these too will be used for monitoring who is trying to sneak away or ignore the COMING "CURFEWS". Now we have the "CONTROL TOWERS" in store parking lots. We will get used to them. Then, without warning, there will be control towers all across AMERIKA and even in our neighborhoods. For what????

Remember folks, you can boil a frog to death if you put it in a pot of room temperature water and turn up the heat little by little. You see, the frog gets used to it, a little bit at a time. Our politicians and those that they EMPLOY to do their work are experts in boiling frogs.

And WE the PEOPLE, what are we? Most of us (but not all) are like sheep, cattle, and frogs.

And the LAST stage in ones life and a Nations life is the "FROG STAGE", and I think the U.S. has entered that stage

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Last night I was lit like a dog on Knob Creek. With a clearer head I will restate my position. Since the 911 bombings the federal government has been eroding our personal liberties all in the name of homeland security. As this has occurred the constitution and our rights are being ignored more and more. Rather than fixing the real problem (criminals) the federal government through funding to local departments pay for these portable towers. Are we as a society so evil and violent we need these watch towers to look over us. Are things so bad these towers are necessary to be set up at our big box stores? Why are they even here? In my personal opinion it is to desensitize us. Why else would the police set them up in such a conspicious place during the busiest shopping time of the year. A few people will be upset at first then things will quieten down. What are they preparing the American people for? I don't consider my self a tin foil hat conspiracist. These are valid questions. Our country is being bankrupted as Europes economy teeters on collapse and we have the money to spend on these luxuries?

JWG223 - Glad to see them coming to LA. Maybe violent crime will drop to Mexican border levels here now.

Do you really think these towers will decrease violent crime? What are the police going to do? Put them up at every businss? And you are glad to see them in LA. Why not put a barbed wire fence around the parking lot with a gaurd to let people in/out. But only if they have their papers. The fact is they are a symbol of an oppressive police state. They have nothing to do with crime and everything to do with control. I have stated my position but have several questions for you. America does not have money to waste. How can you justify the cost? Shouldn't Wal Mart, The Home Depot, Lowes, etc. pay for their own security? Their use will be extremly limited for parking lot surveillance. How will this have any significant impact lowering "violent crime"? Is crime so bad police watch towers need to be set up on private property to survey the public? In my opinion they are a waste of my tax dollars. Personally I think who ever manufactures these towers has friends in high places and pockets are being filled with our taxdollars. So to me they are an offense!
    I can't argue the money aspect. Money makes the world go round, so if something is being made, someone is making money. Period. NO disagreement.

Well, why not go to the other extreme? Cops are a waste, cruisers are useless, etc. It's oppressive. Everyone needs the right to carry a weapon, and doing so/not doing so is their decision, along with the consequences of either. Cops can be fired, our tax dollars won't go to waste, things will improve. You on board?

Seriously. All the tower is is a higher vantage point so that cops can observe a parkinglot using less manpower and can intervene if they see a mugging/car-jacking/etc. much more readily than if they were skulking around the traffic aisles.

As to justifying the cost, I am sure plenty of those dollars go right back into the American economy that sold, maintains, manufactured, and designed said tower.

What control does that tower give? The cop is going to stare me down? How exactly will that tower allow an officer to do ANYTHING oppressive to me that he could not do without said tower?

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston
    A hitch ,,funny..They may want to make sure they have a lock on the hitch.The thieves
    may drive away with the tower.Then next week,you see an ad in the LA sportsman..

"Very nice enclosed tower for sale,would make a great deer tower or just for bird watching" .. $800

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    A hitch ,,funny..They may want to make sure they have a lock on the hitch.The thieves
    may drive away with the tower.Then next week,you see an ad in the LA sportsman..

"Very nice enclosed tower for sale,would make a great deer tower or just for bird watching" .. $800

Shhhhhhhhh!!!! That was uh NEVER MIND NOW; Theodeous go back to the hood I'll hit you back when I want you to complete the Operation Chicken-Hawk mission hommee OK?

016-2.jpg
    [/IMG]

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I can't argue the money aspect. Money makes the world go round, so if something is being made, someone is making money. Period. NO disagreement.

Well, why not go to the other extreme? Cops are a waste, cruisers are useless, etc. It's oppressive. Everyone needs the right to carry a weapon, and doing so/not doing so is their decision, along with the consequences of either. Cops can be fired, our tax dollars won't go to waste, things will improve. You on board?

Seriously. All the tower is is a higher vantage point so that cops can observe a parkinglot using less manpower and can intervene if they see a mugging/car-jacking/etc. much more readily than if they were skulking around the traffic aisles.

As to justifying the cost, I am sure plenty of those dollars go right back into the American economy that sold, maintains, manufactured, and designed said tower.

What control does that tower give? The cop is going to stare me down? How exactly will that tower allow an officer to do ANYTHING oppressive to me that he could not do without said tower?

I did a quick look for a price on one of these. Coudn't find one. Officers and cruisers are necessary. I wonder how many cruisers, offficers, other equipment the cost of this thing would pay for?

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Oh I don't know Charles. I don't see them as being higher over me in a psychological sense. I view them just like I'd view a fire tower. When you're above viewing obstructions, you can view farther distance.

Unfortunately, yes I think our society has desolved into thugs taking advantage of Christmas shoppers hitting the big box stores, one after another, after another. Chances are I have Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target and Mall bags shoved into the back of my Yukon at least once during this time of the year.

However, I don't have issues against DWI checkpoints either. I also admit I'm younger and less "aware" as some of the older guys here. So my opinion amounts to just about two cents. :)

I keep thinking about this. It probably won't decrease crime. But getting hit, having your Christmas presents ripped off? It sucks. It sucks giant donkey balls. So I'm going to throw some Christmas cheer on this, sprinkle it with ******** colored festive glitter and call it a goodwill gesture from our local law enforcement allowing a couple unfortunate families have a happy Christmas when otherwise they'd be dealing with theft fall out and little Jimmy's Christmas present hijacked from some creep. Or something like that. :)

Last edited:

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    There's not too many places to shop in the 9th, and perhaps in the East. So, the Chalmette Wal-Mart pretty much gets taken over. Combine that with the other riff raff that has moved into the parish post-K, and those towers are definitely needed. I'm scared to go in that place sometimes.

It's a shame because it was a nice Wal-Mart.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I wonder how many of you guys would whine if your vehicle got hit in that parking lot and it wasn't on the stores cameras? Or how many of you would blame the police if your wife got robbed in that parking lot? Like it or not some suburban retail stores have become like the water holes of the Rift Valley in Africa. You show up to eat and you take care not to get eaten.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I personally think that thing is ridiculous and a huge waste of money. I understand they are trying to keep people safe, but damn $200-$300 deer stand would do the same damn thing. Hell a scissor lift for that matter. I know for a fact my local walmart owns one and they keep it in the back unused most of the time. Your providing security for them use their ****. Its ********.

Didn't feel like reading the whole the thread, sorry if I just mentioned stuff that has already been said.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Wonder what happened to using the good old fashion ''Sting'' method...That way the L.E.O.s could whip out that tazer and zap the bad guy's..
    It looks like a 2'' ball trailer hitch on these bad boy's...Hell i want one...Infared,spotlights,A.C..Generator...Heck i'd put in a dry bar...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Laplace Walmart has one of these also. All the other stores have at least one officer circling with lights on. Home Depot has their swat van in the parking lot with the lights on (causing rubber necking on Airline...).

During Mardi Gras JPSO has one of these near Lakeside. I walked past their command RV last year. They had about 20 monitors going with faces. They were also viewing the faces from the chopper overhead. I guess its a good way to spot gang members/ terrorist/ persons of interest but I definitely felt like big brother was watching.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom