Something i Noticed...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Born4spd

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    Are the competition shooters i see on tv using a special grip that makes recoil dissapear? Or do they have super strength.

I just saw the guy on the crimson race commercial dump a mag of .45 and it barely moved his hand. ? ? ?

When i shoot my Glock (9x19)it jumps a decent bit, not a lot, but more then my makarov.

Im not holding it LOOSE im holding it firm in my hands but i relax my arms and shoulders.

Any tips?

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    They use light loads, sometimes have compensators on the barrels, and do a variety of other things to help reduce recoil.

But yes, I'm sure they also have a lot of arm strength to hold the gun as still as they do.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    If you were shooting a steel gun........... :D

Might be light loads, it may be weighted down; tungsten guide rod for example. I sure you would have noticed if it was comped.

A lot of these guys also work on their arm strenght.

Art

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    The difference between them and you is that their gun setup costs about 10x more than yours. That's not the only thing though, yes, they know how to correctly hold/shoot, and other things, but I think the main reason is that their guns are using lighter loads + 10lbs worth of accessories to help make shooting easier.

I have wondered this myself too though. I notice that I have a much heavier flip when I shoot my 9mm then these guys have while shooting 1911's and such.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    they use low powered ammo as well as muzzle brakes to eliminate recoil,even weights that can be attached underneath the barrel.

and the different looking grip is typical of race guns

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I am a competition shooter and I can tell you there is no special tricks involved like the previous posters are saying. The main way to control muzzle flip is the grip (you do not have to be very strong to control the muzzle). Once you have your grip right and are applying the right amount of pressure with each hand, most of the muzzle flip will be reduced. Second, gun setup, a stock 9mm Glock, the recoil spring is way over sprung. Take that spring out a replace it with a 12-13lb spring. You will notice a major difference. In my 1911's, 45 ACP & 40 S&W, I actually run an 11lb spring running full power loads. Yes, you can add a tungsten or SS guide rod to your Glock, but it does not help that much. You should try to get with someone who shoots USPSA and have them watch your technique and get some guidance. It takes alot of practice to make it look that easy.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I am a competition shooter and I can tell you there is no special tricks involved like the previous posters are saying. The main way to control muzzle flip is the grip (you do not have to be very strong to control the muzzle). Once you have your grip right and are applying the right amount of pressure with each hand, most of the muzzle flip will be reduced. Second, gun setup, a stock 9mm Glock, the recoil spring is way over sprung. Take that spring out a replace it with a 12-13lb spring. You will notice a major difference. In my 1911's, 45 ACP & 40 S&W, I actually run an 11lb spring running full power loads. Yes, you can add a tungsten or SS guide rod to your Glock, but it does not help that much. You should try to get with someone who shoots USPSA and have them watch your technique and get some guidance. It takes alot of practice to make it look that easy.

Man, you must be beating the crap out of your 1911 running 11 pound springs with major loads. A word to the wise, you don't want to use this light a spring with a full power load if you value your gun. Light loads, not a problem.

Art

Last edited:

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Are the competition shooters i see on tv using a special grip that makes recoil dissapear? Or do they have super strength.

I just saw the guy on the crimson race commercial dump a mag of .45 and it barely moved his hand. ? ? ?

When i shoot my Glock (9x19)it jumps a decent bit, not a lot, but more then my makarov.

Im not holding it LOOSE im holding it firm in my hands but i relax my arms and shoulders.

Any tips?

Depending on what division they are shooting they may have mod's (some are greatly modified )to the gun. But they all have to meet a minimum power factor. But technique and proper grip + trigger time are essential. Yea, they tune their to fit their needs, but put an absolutely stock gun in their hands and they still kick butt. Bottom line is experience, you can't buy it and nothing beats it.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    there's your problem

The difference between them and you is that their gun setup costs about 10x more than yours. That's not the only thing though, yes, they know how to correctly hold/shoot, and other things, but I think the main reason is that their guns are using lighter loads + 10lbs worth of accessories to help make shooting easier.

I have wondered this myself too though. I notice that I have a much heavier flip when I shoot my 9mm then these guys have while shooting 1911's and such.

Depending on what division they are shooting they may have mod's (some are greatly modified )to the gun. But they all have to meet a minimum power factor. But technique and proper grip + trigger time are essential. Yea, they tune their to fit their needs, but put an absolutely stock gun in their hands and they still kick butt. Bottom line is experience, you can't buy it and nothing beats it.

Guys.... What I highlighted in red pretty much sums it up also.

The comment about the G-19, get real. I tell you what, come the weekend of March 25th, make the trip down to Thibodaux and watch the GSSF (Glock Shooting Sports Foundation) match. You will have Master shooters with a stock gun running circles around guys with "tricked out" Glocks.

Another thing to start and I know it sounds funy; but, remember those funny "squeeze grip" hand things you could buy in the exercise area at Wal Mart? Go buy one!
    When I was with the Patrol, I kept one in my car and used it all of the time. That was probably one of the best tips that Phillip Hemphill gave me.

BTW, if you don't know who Phillip Hemphill is, Google "Phillip Hemphill, Mississippi Highway Patrol".

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington

As an example of this, one of my friends who is a distinguished pistol shot (and distinguished rifleman) that shoots on the USMCR pistol team won the CMP Excellence in Competition match (service pistols) at last year's state championship with a stock, Jeff. Parish turn in, Beretta 92. He was shooting against a fair number of $1500 - $2000 M92s and 1911s that had been specifically set up for the match. It is the indian, not the arrow.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Man, you must be beating the crap out of your 1911 running 11 pound springs with major loads. A word to the wise, you don't want to use this light a spring with a full power load if you value your gun. Light loads, not a problem.

Art
    I left out that I also use a shock buff. Besides that, each gun has over 20,000 rounds through them and the frames are in good shape. Para P14/45 and Para 16/40.

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    Art

Sorry Art, but you're wrong. I use 11# in the forty caliber pistol in my Avatar and 12.5 in my Single Stack forty-five and have shot thousand and thousands of round with no damage. Many competitors shoot 60K to 80K round and then re-barrel and keep on going. Oh, these are not ***** cat loads....175 to 185 grain bullets traveling at close to 1,000 fps. My S/S gun is pushing a 200 grain bullet around 850/875.

The lighter springs keep the muzzle from being pushed forward so hard that it moves the gun down. Drop your slide with a 12 pound spring and an 18 pound and see the difference.

As far as control of the pistol is concerned, a good 60/40 grip and proper technique keeps the gun from jumping too much. I along with others video myself at matches to see my mistakes and try to improve. (No, it doesn't work, but I do it anyway) My muzzle barely moves when I shoot. I'm an old man and not particularly strong as compared to you young guys. Some of the Ladies that shoot with us control the pistol quite well and they are definitely not that strong. So you can see that strength is not a big factor in controlling your pistol. Technique and practice are.

Hope to shoot with you someday.

Buddy

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    If you look under the Training site, you will see a post on how to hold a handgun. Boss302 was nice enough to put up an excellent video from Todd Jarrett on how to hold and shoot a handgun. This video will give you a very good idea of the how to hold a handgun.
    You will still need a lot of practice to perfect you grip. If you come out to practice on Monday (Precison) or Wed. (Baker Range) night we can help you with your grip. Buddy and Donnie are correct, it takes time to develop the correct method and this is where you get your control from.

Bryan
    "Beauxdog"
    L-2311 :)

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Like some of the others said. They are shooting "race" guns. They have alot more money in their gun than you do. Its not just that he was shooting a Steel gun. Dave S. shoots a Glock and his is set up as a race gun also. Little recoil to deal with. They use compensators, recoil buffers and a host of other things that help with things like recoil.

They also shoot thousands and thousands of rounds so they are very skilled with the firearm they choose.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    To Mr.whbonney26,

Instead of telling us what we are shooting. Why don't you just come on over and see my "race" gun. It happens to be a 20 year old Colt Series 80 Gold Cup. I run a 14# recoil spring and shoot a 200 grain bullet at 900-fps. It makes a 180 power factor by USPSA standards. It's not the "race" gun but how you handle it. I and several others who have been shooting for more than a few days can show you and many other how to hold your handgun. It will still take you a lot of practice to handle one correctly. It makes no difference if it's a stock gun or a tricked out highly modified race gun. If you can't hold it right, you will still be slower than someone who is holding theirs correctly.

Bryan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom