Stolen MC Situation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    1. Get a good look at them if possible.

2. Fire a shot into the ground (not pave).

3. Yell, "Freeze! Get on the ground! Get on the f!@#ing ground!".

4. Hold them at gunpoint until the cops show up or watch as they run off. You can't shoot them just for trying to steal your stuff.

That's what I would do but I'm not a lawyer.
    Don't do this.
    http://bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18546

:)

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Turn on your porchlight and every other light in your house as you loudly shout (from behind reasonable cover) "HONEY, CALL THE COPS AND TELL THEM I JUST SHOT SOME BURGLARS!" Chances are they'll be gone before the scenario goes further.

Seriously, nothing says you can't attempt a lawful citizen's arrest (stealing your motorbike will count as a felony), and you have every right upon your property to be armed when doing so, but warning shots are VERY RISKY BEHAVIOR. If they freeze like deer in the headlights, OK, if they run, think carefully before following, if they attack, their bad judgement will haunt them for the brief remainder of the their lives.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Didn't that guy in NO East end up getting off real light after shooting and killing that car burglar from the second story balcony of the apartment building several years back (pre-Katrina)? I'm in no way advocating any such behavior, but every now and then a prosecutor or jury does surprise by leaning more to the side of the the citizen who was initially victimized.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Didn't that guy in NO East end up getting off real light after shooting and killing that car burglar from the second story balcony of the apartment building several years back (pre-Katrina)? I'm in no way advocating any such behavior, but every now and then a prosecutor or jury does surprise by leaning more to the side of the the citizen who was initially victimized.

I think so but your'e taking a big gamble with that.

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not sure of the FL Statute, but I lived in FL when they passed the law saying you could use deadly force to protect your property, i.e., if you came upon someone attempting to break into your car.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Property is never worth a life, no matter how you look at it.

You could end up like the actor on the movie Felon.

Chase a guy in your house, then out the front door in the yard swing the bat, CRUSH his skull and then get sent to prison where you get tangled up in fights, sexual abuse and the years start adding up.

Don't say it can't happen, it does all the time.

I don't think that's worth a motorcycle, IMO.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA

You could end up like the actor on the movie Felon.

Chase a guy in your house, then out the front door in the yard swing the bat, CRUSH his skull and then get sent to prison where you get tangled up in fights, sexual abuse and the years start adding up.

Don't say it can't happen, it does all the time.

I don't think that's worth a motorcycle, IMO.

+1

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette

Tell that to the people Bernie Madoff ripped off.

What do you think wars are fought over? You tell your soldiers they're fighting for some loftier goal, but behind the smokescreen, all human conflict is centered around resources.

I really try not to pass moral judgement on criminals. If they can committ their "crimes" and get away with them, then more power to them. Are my means of acquiring material things any loftier than theirs? If anything, they're just more efficient at how they spend their time than I am. If they are successful in their pursuits, and only expend one hour of energy to obtain what cost me hundreds of hours to get, than by Darwin's book, they're a more highly evolved, efficient group of the species. They should all be aware however, that if they are caught, either by law enforcement or someone like me who isn't so readily willing to give up my hard earned belonging, there are severe consequences.

I should move to Texas I guess.

Last edited:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    I'm not sure of the FL Statute, but I lived in FL when they passed the law saying you could use deadly force to protect your property, i.e., if you came upon someone attempting to break into your car.
    Here is the bill in a very raw form; with deletions and additions.
    http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/vie...ate/bills/billtext/html&Tab=session&Submenu=1

"A person has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force if the person is in a place where he or she has a right to be and the force is necessary to prevent death, great bodily harm, or the commission of a forcible felony."

There is mention property in section 3.
    You can use force, except deadly force, to solely protect property.
    You may only use deadly force during a forcible felony, like if you were on the bike or in the car being stolen.
    This is similar to Louisiana's "Shoot the Carjacker" law.

If you're in any state in the Union, expect Texas, and kill someone for theft, you're going to jail.

Gumbo

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Those people took the risk did they not ?

That's not the same risk inherent to trading in the market. They didn't lose their money on a bad investment strategy, they were defrauded out of it. Don't confuse the two. He got caught, so clearly he isn't as clever as he thought he was and consequently, he should have a rope around his neck. Not because it would serve society's sense of right and wrong, but because that's the only satisfaction those people will ever get, and they should be allowed to exact their own judgement.

If you could knock them off the bike with a shovel/bat/rake then I bet you'd be ok.

To get back on topic. The only conceivable way you could defend your property with deadly force, is if you happened to walk out to your bike with the intention of riding it, and "accidentaly" ran across these two guys who would either run or come at you. If they came at you, you would be in the clear, because technically you're defending your life, not your ride. It would be a hard sell that you didn't walk out there with a gun with the intention of using it to stop a robbery if you didn't have a CHP.

I suppose they could always ignore you and ride away, that would be funny.

Last edited:

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    i think i would fire rounds into all four tires of the get away vehicle (if there was one) and empty the rest of the clip into the engine block. I would rather get slapped with unlawful discharge of a weapon than killing the SOB and going to prison for it.

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    i think i would fire rounds into all four tires of the get away vehicle (if there was one) and empty the rest of the clip into the engine block. I would rather get slapped with unlawful discharge of a weapon than killing the SOB and going to prison for it.

Now, that's an interesting thought. But at that point, it's your/my word against theirs that they were stealing your/my bike. So, if the courts believe them, then I was just randomly destroying their property with my bullets.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    :rofl:
    [YOUTUBE]fCcnNE11C-c[/YOUTUBE]

BRLAShooter

Smart @$$ Extraordinaire
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    To get back on topic. The only conceivable way you could defend your property with deadly force, is if you happened to walk out to your bike with the intention of riding it, and "accidentaly" ran across these two guys who would either run or come at you. If they came at you, you would be in the clear, because technically you're defending your life, not your ride. It would be a hard sell that you didn't walk out there with a gun with the intention of using it to stop a robbery if you didn't have a CHP.

I suppose they could always ignore you and ride away, that would be funny.

Well, as I nearly always carry on my way to my bike, because I ride with my gun in my tank bag, I could say I was walking out to ride, though I would have to be carrying my helmet and tank bag too. I'm not trying to find a way around the law, I'm only trying to find out what is permissable. As said before, the cops have so much to do, I dont expect them to be able to find my bike if it gets stolen, though I know that recoveries DO happen.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana

Man, why aren't you in the Competition forum right now?? Your name must be Superduper McAwesome if you can shoot out (4) 8" wide tires on a *Fleeing* getaway vehicle - all while not hitting another car/house/civilian.

If you did this (and if your Chuck Norris like accuracy didn't prevail), you would be charged with much more than Discharge of a Firearm Within City Limits.

Use your head people...............

Top Bottom