Time to give up Skoal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Check this stuff out. It wont give you that Nicotine fix but does help with tricking your brain a little. You can try some if you stop by Smoothie King. I know they carry it. Good luck!

olq8vf76rwz67icwo4gt.jpg

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Plus one on chantix. I used it to kick the butts. It. Helped me find that I only had to beat the habit, not the nicotine addiction. Nicotine desire leaves when it's out of your body, typically 5 or so days I think.

So much of a believer that I emailed them my success story and they contacted and interviewed me for a commercial lol. I actually just wanted to share what I learned about the habit versus the addiction and next thing I know they asking me if I would be interested in filming a commercial...

mcinfantry

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Watson, La
    When I said drugs, I was serious. Have you considered it?

I dipped and smoked and quit both going on 5 years.

The key for me was a few things.

1st - Education
    -Learn why you are addicted. Learn about the ingredients and how those ingredients effect your body. Learn just how dangerous it is to partake in these manufactured drugs. B/c that is exactly what they are. In fact they are more chemically manufactured and closer in that regards to METH than Weed. Well more so for cigarettes but think about that.....

2nd - Control
    -Using Tobacco products, you give up control. It owns you. It runs your life b/c it tells you what to do when
    and when you don't do it, it makes your body send signals that are pretty hard to ignore.
    Don't play the "Oh I could quit" routine with us, we were there to, and that's horse **** lol. Everyone says they could quit, until they try, then it's humble pie ;)

3rd - Money. Adding an average $125+ a month BACK into your Bank Account could provide financial relief in other areas of your budget.....Like Sportsman/Shooting Gear or even better GYM Membership, which is what most folks seem to do with the left over money.

In the end I HATED the fact that an inanimate object controlled me. After learning why i was addicted and the incredibly horrible health hazards(Really learning though, not Dipping is bad Mkay :rolleyes: ) after really learning, I developed the attitude that I would not be controlled by a substance.

I got on the Chantix Program and Quit cold turkey. That was 5 years ago.

I had smoked for 16 yrs.

Now dipping was twice as hard but I used the same method. Educated myself, pondered on the financial and health impact. Took the Chantix and quit.

Best time to quit is Sunday Night. Have you last dip/smoke etc,
    wake up Monday and go to work a new person and never look back.

Cheers!

/

/

your parents let you smoke/dip @ 11? my dad would have kicked my ass

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    your parents let you smoke/dip @ 11? my dad would have kicked my ass

Mine would have to, had he been around ;)

Parents split early my 11th year and a friend of mine's Dad smoked and left his carton in his truck. We started smoking Doral Reds? His Dad died soon after and we both sort of smoked away our sorrows.

My Mom would send me to the Local Store with money to buy her cigarettes. Back then there was no age requirement. She'd always say, buy some candy with the change. Yea, right! Just bought two different packs of smokes. lol

You know I'd actually ride my 3 wheeler there. A couple miles away. No one said anything, ever.

Well as a Teen smoking was much easier. Mom knew I did but didn't want to scare me off so didn't have the heart to tell me. I guess, hell as a smoker herself she may not have even noticed. I move in with Dad and Stepmom(Both Smokers) my Jr year and he knew too. By then I've got like a year until I can buy them legally. He wouldn't dare buy me any and I didn't smoke in front of him.

I didn't dip until I got in the Marine Corps. i may have worded that wrong.

The rest is history.

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    20 years of Skoal and Grizzly wintergreen longcut. My mouth is watering just thinking about the Grizzly.
    Man I loved that stuff. I tried smoking to stop dipping, and that didn't work. A friend called me one day and said
    he had quit, and I joined him. That was 2 and a half years ago. The cravings left after a year for the most.
    One day last week they hit me like a ton of bricks. I thought they were gone, WRONG!
    I chose not to give in and a few hours, a pack of sunflower seeds, and a pack of beef jerky later, I was over it.
    Man I want a dip, but I refuse to go back!
    Do it.

buck3050

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    LaPlace
    I chewed long leaf Levi Garrett for 20 plus years and one day 5 years ago i said enough and quit cold turkey. I was chewing about 3 packs aday every day and spending about 15 dollars a shot. After i quit i would go into any store and first thing i would do is look for the Levi and that went on for a number of months. The good thing is that after i quit i put the 15 dollars into my own fund and was able to purchase the guns, gear and clothes to start competing in Cowboy action shooting. 2 handguns, rifle, shotgun, derriger, breaktop, shooting cart, leather and clothes. So all in all it was a good choice and i can say to this day that i have not had a chew. Tobacco is a drug and the temptation will always be there no matter what. Good luck with quitting and think of some of the benefits that can be had with the extra money.

Last edited:

13f3p

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    madisonville, la.
    i was a 20 year skoal man. i got up one morning and decided that dipping skoal was a disgusting ugly habit,not only that, it can kill you.so i put it down.i carried an empty can around with me for a while, i figured if i felt the can in my pocket,i would feel like i could have a dip if i wanted to. one day became two became a week became a month became a year became 11 years.
    i had oral surgery 3 years ago to repair my gum line which had eroded away.nothing terrible like you see on tv, but definitely some damage.im all patched up now.
    you can quit,just as soon as you decide to.you got this my friend

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I gave it up the day before thanksgiving. I quit cold turkey, the first few days I felt I like I was walking on clouds and was in a haze, after that the cravings come and go.

It is something that you have to WANT to do. If you don't want it, it won't happen

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I gave it up the day before thanksgiving. I quit cold turkey, the first few days I felt I like I was walking on clouds and was in a haze, after that the cravings come and go.

It is something that you have to WANT to do. If you don't want it, it won't happen

Awesome. My cravings have completely went away.

JR1572

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I get them every now and again, I just think about something else and it's gone.

It's nice to see other people quiting, I didn't realize the impact it was having on my life.

Shitty breath
    Shitty crap in my teeth
    Spit cups are not professional
    Stinky truck
    et....

I am however seeing a lot of people quit, not that I am huge health nut. (I try to keep it a secret, but the truth is I am not the healthiest guy out there...)

mukwah

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Shreveport,La
    What about the Snus? Anyone ever tried that. I've been using in the Hospital I work at. Don't think it causes damage like what I've seen here.

Kcabear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Gueydan
    I know this an old thread but I figured I can revive it to brag that I'm now on day 17 with no dip!! Been dipping since I was 15 so that's 17 years now, been hooked on Peach blend Skoal(I know, I know! But I fricken love it!!) and after having trouble finding it bought grizzly and after a week my gums and lip would burn like fire so I decided it was time to quit. Wasn't too bad once I had my mind made up. I used the Jack Links jerky to have something in my lip to help cravings and now stopped that too. Now just the craving after a meal to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Awesome. My cravings have completely went away.

JR1572

I get them every now and again, I just think about something else and it's gone.

It's nice to see other people quiting, I didn't realize the impact it was having on my life.

Shitty breath
    Shitty crap in my teeth
    Spit cups are not professional
    Stinky truck
    et....

I am however seeing a lot of people quit, not that I am huge health nut. (I try to keep it a secret, but the truth is I am not the healthiest guy out there...)

I know this an old thread but I figured I can revive it to brag that I'm now on day 17 with no dip!! Been dipping since I was 15 so that's 17 years now, been hooked on Peach blend Skoal(I know, I know! But I fricken love it!!) and after having trouble finding it bought grizzly and after a week my gums and lip would burn like fire so I decided it was time to quit. Wasn't too bad once I had my mind made up. I used the Jack Links jerky to have something in my lip to help cravings and now stopped that too. Now just the craving after a meal to deal with.

Congratulations! You won't regret it! ;)

ABNsurveyor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Polk area

Hang in there. I dipped Copenhagen from 1988 -2007. I tried the patch, but that just made me angry so I stopped using them after the third day when I made the correlation to my sudden anger episode to shortly after I put the patch on. Went cold turkey after that, been tobacco free since Jan 2007. One of my co-workers is a Copenhagen user and when he opens a can near me I get a whiff and something in the back of my head says "HELLO OLD FRIEND!" It gets easier as the days go by and turn to weeks and weeks into months.

Good luck brother.

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    You can also put a tootsie roll into a pencil sharpener and empty the contents into an old Skoal can if you need a visual fix. I'm sure it tastes better too but then you might get addicted to sugar afterward. Just don't quit trying.

Kcabear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Gueydan
    Hang in there. I dipped Copenhagen from 1988 -2007. I tried the patch, but that just made me angry so I stopped using them after the third day when I made the correlation to my sudden anger episode to shortly after I put the patch on. Went cold turkey after that, been tobacco free since Jan 2007. One of my co-workers is a Copenhagen user and when he opens a can near me I get a whiff and something in the back of my head says "HELLO OLD FRIEND!" It gets easier as the days go by and turn to weeks and weeks into months.

Good luck brother.

Thanks for the encouragement.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    Congratulations on 17 days. Your doing good.

I stopped dipping in 2000. I used the patch and it helped a lot. Problem was I think I could get addicted to the patch too if I kept using it.
    I had to watch myself. I could stop one addiction and replace it with another without even realizing it.

Top Bottom