Using FMJ for self defence

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    yep. did these things happen (as) regularly when LEO's carried .357 mag?

Different.

When people know they only have 6 shots, they tend to make them count a lot more than when they have 17+1. You can't get over marksmanship being THE determining factor with a handgun.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Just curious as to where you got that bit of wisdom?

I reviewed OIS data comparing the Revolver to the Semi-Auto. It can be found here.
    http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/Aveni/OIS.pdf

Look at the "Revolver vs. Pistol" data for Metro-Dade.

You will note that officers firing revolvers had a 35% success rate in hitting their suspect, while the officers using the semi-auto had a 25% success rate.

We can argue/debate whether it is the shootability of the revolver vs. pistol, the psychological imperative to make the lesser number of rounds count more, or any number of other things, the fact remains that officers equipped with the revolver hit their suspect more often, round per round.

While I cannot back this up, it is only logical to presume that of the rounds that DID hit, the platform that had a higher chance of hitting also resulted in more accurate hits.

This goes to support what I originally postulated, that the 357 magnum may well have a more successful career in LE hands than the 9mm and others due to the fact that it was put where it was intended more precisely, more often. Not necessarily because it was some magical man-stopper and the 9mm is puny, etc.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Some do; some don't. Remember that idiot who committed suicide by cop against four BRPD officers in Port Allen earlier this year? We dug nine bullets out of him, all 9mm Gold Dots. One was textbook advertising photo grade; the rest displayed various degrees of deformity. And I'm not counting the ones that passed through his body and lodged in his vehicle.

As I've said before... there are NO absolutes in this game. Period.

That's exactly what I thought would happen with the Gold Dot's.

Look at the "Revolver vs. Pistol" data for Metro-Dade.

You will note that officers firing revolvers had a 35% success rate in hitting their suspect, while the officers using the semi-auto had a 25% success rate.

I went from Limited Division in USPSA to a 6 shot revolver in USPSA about four years ago. I can't speak for cops. But I can tell you that I'm far less likely to throw bullets away than I was before. Mentally knowing there are only six and not a bunch does change things in competition at least fundamentally.

Dave

Last edited:

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    I tried ballistics testing my 9mm, couldn't find any of that stuff they use on Mythbusters so I got strawberry-banana from Wal Mart. I guess 9mm is pretty powerful because I was cleaning red stuff out of odd places in my kitchen for like 6 months.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Then there was NUN

1 shot stopper.

Hummmmm...Dat's the calibur she chose:}
    You may have something there...

qcb0l87rgyxs3hu7fko.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    That info about revolvers vs. semi-autos in the hand of Police is suspect. I would bet that it had as much to do with recruits being held to higher standards as anything else. Standards for marksmanship today are a joke.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Sigh.

Did you not read the part in that 'Miami study' where he said the numbers did not differentiate between true gunfights and "incidents"? That skews the data considerably.

But it doesn't matter. Your blanket presumption is, again, incorrect. You're making the same mistake most interested laymen do; taking the results of one or two "studies", and applying it 'logically' as a whole.

Your "fact" as stated above is not supported by LSP gunfight data, and in fact the average number of rounds expended (and hits attained) since we began keeping records on these things has not markedly changed... specifically referring to the gradual switch from revolvers to semi-autos. I'm not presuming any of this; I've looked at the figures, interviewed some of the participants, and examined a few of the actual scenes.

And you're wrong about something else, too. The 9mm IS "puny" compared to a full-house .357 fired out of a four or six inch barrel. Ferdie Miller is alive today because one of the six .357s he fired at the ******* who was lighting him up with a P-35 (from behind his truck door) penetrated the door, hit the *******, and took him down and out of the fight. FWIW, Ferdie had five 9mm ball bullets in him, yet he reloaded, didn't see the ******* anymore, and ran back to his unit to get his rifle, before collapsing. In all of the gunfights LSP troopers have been involved in- at least the ones from 1936 to 1998- the ONLY gun/ammo combination that worked EVERY TIME (by that I mean stopped the fight immediately upon the first good guy hit) was... the .357. That includes 12 gauge, both buckshot and bear ball.

Dude, I am not trying to bust your chops. But you keep coming up with this stuff that is too far out in left field for me to ignore.

thanks for the info! This does at least validate my use of the 357sig.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Despite general opinion on stacked mags, I stack 3 different loads. If I am in a SHTF situation, I am relatively comfortable one of my options will be able to penetrate laminate glass, metal, or critical mass on a target. I don't really care if 2 of the rounds aren't the "best" for the situation, they will be generally on target and on target is the BEST kind of ammunition for any situation. I can use wadcutter rounds- if I put enough of them into a small enough area, even glass or a car door won't keep them out.

Now, before ya'll jump my sh!t, I haven't tried any of this while taking rounds to myself or armor, so until then whatever I say is probably just internet bravado. ;)

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Nevermind man, your right.
    sarcasm? I'm just not getting why people say they differ much. All the 4" barreled revolvers I have seen chronographed with 125gr run about 1400 or so. My 357sig ran 1355 at 15'. I'm not sure how they significantly differ until you get into 6" barrel lengths or heavier bullets, where the magnum definitely pulls ahead. I'm plenty open to an education though. Tell me what I am missing.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    With the right load you can get 1800 fps with 125 grain JHP from a four inch 357 magnum. This is with both Herc 2400 and Win 296 powders. How fast does the 357 sig push a 158 grain bullet or even a 180 grain bullet? Oh yeah you can't load above a 147 grain bullet in 357 sig. You sound like a guy defending FiveseveN against common sense. :)

Dave

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    With the right load you can get 1800 fps with 125 grain JHP from a four inch 357 magnum. This is with both Herc 2400 and Win 296 powders. How fast does the 357 sig push a 158 grain bullet or even a 180 grain bullet? Oh yeah you can't load above a 147 grain bullet in 357 sig. You sound like a guy defending FiveseveN against common sense. :)

Dave

You're right, the magnum can be handloaded way beyond the Sig. However, I thought the federal and remington 125gr jhp at about 1400 was what the 357 built its reputation on in police legend.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom