Using FMJ for self defence

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not saying that the 357 sig wouldn't be an effective handgun cartridge. It is. I'm saying that it isn't anywhere near 357 Magnum's equal. The old magnum is capable of so much more than we get out of it and what most people can handle.

Dave

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I'm not saying that the 357 sig wouldn't be an effective handgun cartridge. It is. I'm saying that it isn't anywhere near 357 Magnum's equal. The old magnum is capable of so much more than we get out of it and what most people can handle.

Dave
    I am just asserting that the duty ammo for the Sig is within about 25 fps or so of the magnum duty ammo from a four inch revolver.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I am just asserting that the duty ammo for the Sig is within about 25 fps or so of the magnum duty ammo from a four inch revolver.

Ok. The 357 Sig loaded to it's maximum levels is close in performance to that loading of a 357 Magnum. I see that the Speer Gold Dot is supposed to be at 1600 fps with 125 grain bullet however.

In my 357 Magnum (4 inch Colt King Cobra) I carry 165 grain rated to 1290 fps at the muzzle. I don't carry that weapon often though. Also I agree follow up shots will be delayed compared to a lighter load. However when it does connect...

Dave

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    However when it does connect...

Dave
    melon.jpg

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    No problem, but I'm still confused. WHAT scenario? This thread has taken too many twists.

The .40 (specifically, the 180gr Gold Dot) has worked for the city in the shootings they've had with it. LSP and EBRSO issue 180gr HST, and while neither agency has hit meat with it yet (both are recent converts to the caliber), its only a matter of time. The 9mm Gold Dot referenced earlier certainly did the job, but there were four guys shooting at that idiot. A few other .40 shootings by other area agencies have all (to my knowledge) had happy endings.

IOW, as far as I'm concerned the .40 is just as "good" a service cartridge as the .357 Magnum revolver round... probably more so, because of what Dave alluded to above... one does NOT shoot a full house .357 revolver quickly... at least, not accurately in rapid fire.

I was never a big fan of the cartridge, saying it was neither fish nor fowl. I was forced to carry/shoot a G35 for a while, and did NOT like that combination. Still don't like that cartridge in a Glock. But I've had to revise my opinion of the .40 S&W cartridge, and in fact keep one HK in that caliber handy (for me; the wife carries/shoots it these days, and likes it in her HKs).

Delta- or whatever they are called this week- has been using it for some time. They apparently like the added capacity plus the greater reliability of their chosen "platform" (G22s and G35s).

As for the comparison between .357 and .40, no semi-auto round- with the exception of a full house 10mm- can equal the energy present in a full house .357 Magnum. And we saw how that- the 10mm- worked out for the FBI and a few other agencies. But you have to figure "shootability" into the equation as well.

As to the .357 Sig cartridge, I simply do not have enough experience with that one to render a valid opinion. It is not in enough wide-spread use to form a consistent track record, and anyone who has studied the matter thoroughly should know that the paper game- using ballistic charts/numbers to form a postulation- is fraught with skewed data. The infamous FBI/NIJ "computer man" study of 1973 was the most egregious example- so far- of that shell game. I'm speaking of scientifically-produced data here; the ******** "studies" by Marshall & Sanow, and others, do not merit any consideration.

Personally, I find it (the .357 Sig) quite obnoxious to shoot, ammo is not easily found, and I'm told one has to be very careful when reloading it.

Anyway... I'm still quite happy with the .45. But I have .40 and 9mm pistols, and if one of those is what I had when the flag goes up... I wouldn't be skeered... :D

Texas dps loves the 357sig from the conversations I have had. It's their issue round. Ammo is in every Walmart I have shopped at before I stopped going there. Good SD ammo is best sourced from the internet for any weapon unless you like throwing money away, though.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Texas dps loves the 357sig from the conversations I have had. It's their issue round. Ammo is in every Walmart I have shopped at before I stopped going there. Good SD ammo is best sourced from the internet for any weapon unless you like throwing money away, though.

Id be careful with that metric. If you issued Cops .44 Schofield most of them would love it. Most Cops are not shooters.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I wasn't talking about SD ammunition.

And the most of that caliber I've ever seen in any Wal Mart is two or three boxes; WHEN they have it.

in Bentonville, Arkansas. Just bought a box of it. They had about five boxes. No need to buy in bulk at a store, though.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Id be careful with that metric. If you issued Cops .44 Schofield most of them would love it. Most Cops are not shooters.
    I agree, one on one, but I'm basing it off of data compiled by someone in the agency who follows all their shootings. I will dig the email up when I get home in a few days and post it for review.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom