What are some Handgun recommendations for home protection?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kerry22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2024
    Baton rouge
    Hello, Recently got into firearms as I’m starting to understand it’s something I should definitely have to protect myself & family especially living in the Baton Rouge area.

Im looking for any recommendations specifically handguns - for around the house me and my girl started going to the range so Im looking for something good we both can use effectively in case of emergency.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Good News - There are plenty of options available that would work for what you need.
    Bad News - There are so many good options, it's hard to settle on one.

Some helpful info would be...
    What have you shot so far and liked? Disliked?
    Will anyone be carrying this weapon or just for home defense?
    Approximate budget for purchase?

Latrag7

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 3, 2020
    Lafayette
    I would suggest finding a range that offers handgun rentals and find something you both like. Handguns are very personal and what works for some might not work for others. Other than that, I would definitely suggest 9mm as is relatively inexpensive to train with and is easy to find.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I would suggest finding a range that offers handgun rentals and find something you both like. Handguns are very personal and what works for some might not work for others. Other than that, I would definitely suggest 9mm as is relatively inexpensive to train with and is easy to find.
    This. Go to FRC range on Choctaw. They have a wide variety of pistols you can rent and try. I went there and tried several of theirs when I was trying to decide on a new carry pistol.

Kerry22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2024
    Baton rouge
    Yea I should’ve been more specific,

I rather stay away from glocks only because just not a fan of no manual safety .

Yes I plan to conceal carry every once and a while though this will be mainly for the house.

Handguns I’ve considered - tarus Gx4, sig p365, and the M&P 9 shield plus which I’m really steering towards.

Price range is the least of worry’s , mainly something on the lighter compact size

Any suggestions or insight would help

Kerry22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2024
    Baton rouge
    Yes, this isn’t the first time I’ve herd this , will definitely try renting

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    339   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

I rather stay away from glocks only because just not a fan of no manual safety .

Yes I plan to conceal carry every once and a while though this will be mainly for the house.

Handguns I’ve considered - tarus Gx4, sig p365, and the M&P 9 shield plus which I’m really steering towards.

Price range is the least of worry’s , mainly something on the lighter compact size

Of the ones you have considered I prefer the P365.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    CutOff Range Complex does the Glock range program, you can rent any of their guns to test shoot.

Phobos Solutions has multiple different guns that you can use when you go doing shooting training with them.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana

You dont like Glocks because they "dont have a manual safety," then you mention two guns with no manual safety, and one with a safety so small its laughably hard to disengage with no stress applied.

Maybe rethink the reasoning ?

twinin

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    If you want to carry and need a manual safety, I would suggest a M&P Shield Plus since you already shot it. They are not expensive, reliable, good capacity, easy to carry, and shoot well.

Martman300

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 12, 2018
    Gretna, la
    I carried a Taurus for 2 years, they aren’t horrible, but there are better options. I wouldn’t even consider the GX4.

You mention home defense, with possible carry, and range. Like laser mentioned, you said you didn’t like Glock but are looking at pistols with no manual safeties.

my 2 cents, I carry a Beretta 92. I wouldn’t look for a micro 9 pistol for home defense. Larger pistols have more capacity, and are way easier to shoot. That’s partly why the Glock 19 is so popular.

Of the ones you mentioned, I would go with the Shield Plus. For me, it’s a Glock 22, or Beretta 92.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    He may want to start with the guns that dont self function, and then circle back to the Sig320/365 ones when he get a bit more advanced and can deal with ND's :bravo:
    Fully agree.
    Sig rifles are one thing. You couldn’t pay me to carry a sig pistol made after the 226. I’m good on being a companies R&D.

It absolutely blows my mind that some folks still own/carry a 320 variant.

I suppose carrying the 365 wouldn’t be terrible. Just hope you work in the AC and never sweat or that thing will have rust all over it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom