What's up with these ricers??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    My fords, except for the junk automatic transmissions they used, have all been G2G. My Dad drove nothing but Ford for the last 20 years until around 2000. He would get about 250K miles, on average, out of them, and replaced them once every 2-3 years (not counting junk transmission Ford used). This just goes to show how small sample-sizes (1 person) are irrelevant, I guess.

The Coyote is a helluva engine, BTW.
    I've also had really good exp with Fords. Currently have a 2007 Mustang GT that has been problem free. At the same time when I feel like getting spunky with it I fill it up with premium gas..LOL ... Other then that it's bone stock with me flying at 60 trying to push 27mpg.

547732_355073654542087_119030125_n.jpg

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I've also had really good exp with Fords. Currently have a 2007 Mustang GT that has been problem free. At the same time when I feel like getting spunky with it I fill it up with premium gas..LOL ... Other then that it's bone stock with me flying at 60 trying to push 27mpg.

547732_355073654542087_119030125_n.jpg
    Looks good! Premium actually gives a little boost, as I recall in those cars.

Im still bummed about my 370z mileage being 26.5 or so doing 75. My z06 had 175 rwhp more and got 26 at the same speed. I am stuck running premium to get @350bhp from my little 3.7liter. (Intake tubing and exhaust, stock 332bhp. Should be around 350 or so.).

Last edited:

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    Gotto remember , we didnt buy these cars for the gas mileage . Granted a decently set up LS1 can net 29+ mpg and still be powerful as hell . The most I have seen in my GTO is 28.something while going 72 drafting an 18 wheeler . Thats with an LS2 though .

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    I cannot believe it too me this long to notice this thread. As other mentioned there are some quick imports. What you will find though is most of the faster cars are rarely every the ones that will pull up at a light and start a race. I know I personally change tires along with a few other things when I race.

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    i used to be a ricer, then i grew up. now, just pure HP #'s don't matter to me. there are 3 things that matter to me now:
    1) Power to Weight ratio
    2) the course
    3) me, the Driver

LouisianaGuy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Walker, LA
    As stated above, HP is just a Bi-Product of Torque.
    My beater track car that gets started maybe once a month was rear wheel dynoed about 5 years ago.
    Its a 77 Trans Am with a 455, tiny cam and some 6X low compression heads....It spit out 200hp and 499 TQ.
    It hooks up VERY well for some reason lol, I say this because the front and rear suspension is completly shot, and the car weighs 4,000 lbs
    Car is a Mid 12second ride, the thing about all that torque is that if you can hook it most times you can win races from light to light because the 600hp guy is blowing the tires off cuz he cant drive haha.
    Car was a high 10s car with the twin turbos on it, but they had to go, was worried about splitting the block or blowing out the stock rods haha.
    Watch out for the Subaru WRX cars or what ever they are...Most of em are All wheel Drive, and with just a small amount of boost they are dangerous.
    Mike

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Autoworks in gonzales? I'm in there alot getting tires changed/fixed/mounted/balanced

How is his house coming?

No, it's Jeff Cobb Auto Works at 1316 S. Acadian Thrwy, Baton Rouge, LA ;)

The house is not being built right now. Jeff is reorganizing so he can build a new shop and a new house at the same time, hopefully within the next year. We're gonna tear down the old Exxon building and build a new shop where his office currently resides.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I cannot believe it too me this long to notice this thread. As other mentioned there are some quick imports. What you will find though is most of the faster cars are rarely every the ones that will pull up at a light and start a race. I know I personally change tires along with a few other things when I race.

Not true where I live. People roll around on ET Streets and will run you anywhere, any time. There are a lot of crazy people in Shreveport/Bossier with relatively quick cars. We even have people rolling around with parachutes, not that they get deployed on the street. They are there just to meet tech on Friday/Saturday nights.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    As stated above, HP is just a Bi-Product of Torque.
    My beater track car that gets started maybe once a month was rear wheel dynoed about 5 years ago.
    Its a 77 Trans Am with a 455, tiny cam and some 6X low compression heads....It spit out 200hp and 499 TQ.
    It hooks up VERY well for some reason lol, I say this because the front and rear suspension is completly shot, and the car weighs 4,000 lbs
    Car is a Mid 12second ride, the thing about all that torque is that if you can hook it most times you can win races from light to light because the 600hp guy is blowing the tires off cuz he cant drive haha.
    Car was a high 10s car with the twin turbos on it, but they had to go, was worried about splitting the block or blowing out the stock rods haha.
    Watch out for the Subaru WRX cars or what ever they are...Most of em are All wheel Drive, and with just a small amount of boost they are dangerous.
    Mike

What kind of trap speed are you getting and what is the 60' time? I'm thinking they are "atypical".

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    Not true where I live. People roll around on ET Streets and will run you anywhere, any time. There are a lot of crazy people in Shreveport/Bossier with relatively quick cars. We even have people rolling around with parachutes, not that they get deployed on the street. They are there just to meet tech on Friday/Saturday nights.

Interesting, down here there are some folks like that. A lot of us though cannot run the risk of ET Streets in the rain, so I keep normal tires on for daily driving and switch for races, cruise night, etc.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    welp, since its bumped I'll say that I love, own, and race american muscle. However, the most money I ever made was with a late 90's DSM against v8tards that thought horsepower trumps all.

Unless heavily modified, a TTAWD will rip a rwd v8's ass all day err day off the line. Its not more horsepower = more speed. Its HP/weight = speed. And the hp means squat if you can't put it to the ground. Ahh the good ol' days. I spent ~13k total on my GSX and probably made ~half of that back over 2 years racing midlife crisis guys with v8's.

Sold it and built an 02 stang GT and then an 04 cobra - both of which hit low 12's and neither of which could hold a candle to the GSX in the 1/8th. But the noise coming out of the pipe sure got sexier, I'll say that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom