What's your EDC knife of choice?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Here's mine:

m16-1.jpg

5520light.jpg

CRKT M16-13Z
    CRKT 5520K (On the keychain)

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    No pics of it, but I like my Kershaw Scallion I got this week... replaced my Gerber Paraframe. Its rediculously sharp, big enough to be useful but small enough to not get in the way, and assisted opening is just fun.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Rule of Thumb

No pics of it, but I like my Kershaw Scallion I got this week... replaced my Gerber Paraframe. Its rediculously sharp, big enough to be useful but small enough to not get in the way, and assisted opening is just fun.

I like the M 13 but the blade is 3 point 9 in. I read that just about anything can be called an illegal weapon if it can be construed to have an illegal purpose. Obviousley the CRKT M13 could have an illegal use. In the La Rev Stats I find no length or configuration is said to be legal or otherwise. Hopefuly some of ya'll can clarify for me

Dawg

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I like the M 13 but the blade is 3 point 9 in. I read that just about anything can be called an illegal weapon if it can be construed to have an illegal purpose. Obviousley the CRKT M13 could have an illegal use. In the La Rev Stats I find no length or configuration is said to be legal or otherwise. Hopefuly some of ya'll can clarify for me

Dawg

How could the CRKT M13 be construed as having an illegal puprose? It is a tool, nothing more. What does it matter how long the blade is? There are no blade size restrictions in Louisiana. Even so, how is could it be construed as having an illegal use any more than the steak knives I have in my drawer? Or the baseball bat I have in my closet? Or the tire tool I have in my car?

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    How could the CRKT M13 be construed as having an illegal puprose? It is a tool, nothing more. What does it matter how long the blade is? There are no blade size restrictions in Louisiana. Even so, how is could it be construed as having an illegal use any more than the steak knives I have in my drawer? Or the baseball bat I have in my closet? Or the tire tool I have in my car?

Good question. You have to look at the respective Louisiana laws and their 'selective' enforcement. Specifically:

§95. Illegal carrying of weapons
    A. Illegal carrying of weapons is:
    (1) The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person; or

(4)The manufacture, ownership, possession, custody or use of any switchblade knife, spring knife or other knife or similar instrument having a blade which may be automatically unfolded or extended from a handle by the manipulation of a button, switch, latch or similar contrivance.

There are, like you stated, no blade size restrictions in place. However, by carrying a weapon on your person in a concealed fashion you would legally be in violation of the first element of the section. Hence my saying 'selective' enforcement. I'll let the LEOs chime in on how they enforce this law as my aspect is at the table during trial.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I havent been able to find any clear guidelines on knives either, so far as I know, as long as your not waving it at somebody your good to go.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Appreciate the info everyone. I talked to a cop aquaintance today and he was blurry about the knife thing too. But had kinda the same thing, don't act stupid and you won't get treated stupid. No worry, I avoid stupid whenever possible.

Still wish things were clearer on asp and oc or freeze and the like. Theres so much more less and non lethal that I'm sure everyone would like to use.

Taking into consideration that the law is pretty clear on violence can be met only with reasonable an "equal" violence.

Whoops .....I'm kinda hijacking the whats your favorite thread.

Thanks
    Dawg

:confused:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Whoops .....I'm kinda hijacking the whats your favorite thread.

Thanks
    Dawg

:confused:

Not at all, you bring up some good points. Sorry for my rant earlier, I first read your post when I was low on sleep. Your sarcasm went right over my head and I took what you said literally.

I should make a rule not to post unless well rested.:squint:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    No. :hs: In the future, maybe. I'd love to but I need to get into shape.

But you make about number 5 or 6 on the board, I think.

Since I don't think I can legally carry an auto knife, I really want one of these:
    ColdSteel Black Talon
    coldpic60BT.jpg

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    You can always carry a Kershaw Leek
    ks-1660.jpg

Or an SOG Flash

FSA-7-8-open-lg.jpg

Both are "Assisted Opening" and legal, as long as it is carried where a LEO can see it, ie: clip on your pocket.

I doubt any LEO would make an issue of a microtech either unless you were being an ass or already being arrested for something else. Better safe than sorry I s'pose.

Top Bottom