Who camps/ RV's regularly?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    2011-12-09_16-14-44_123-1.jpg

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    Gulf Shores state park. I think it was sight 25, backed up to the lake. We had a sign right behind the camper that said "Do not harass the alligator."

Damm, I did the same thing about 25 years ago with the kids and a tent; got there after dark and set up, woke up the next morning to find the 'Beware of alligators' sign 10' away

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I'm tent camping somewhere in LA or MS at least every other weekend. Just purchased two new tents for this upcoming season. A Nemo Asashi and a REI Kingdom 8

2526.jpg

rei-kingdom-8-tent--2012.jpg

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Do you primitive camp? or do you go to a park where there is designated camping area or "campsites"?

Depends on who's with me..I'm happy roughing it but most women prefer the state parks. Especially the newer ones like Bogue Chitto SP where they can have their own private climate controlled bathrooms complete with hand held shower massage.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Fun. Anytime you go full on primitive post up. I love to do that, but can't really find anywhere to go.

The national forests...Kisatchie here in LA or Desoto in MS. The Black Creek Trail in MS runs for 40 miles along, you guessed it, The Black Creek and makes for some great primitive camping. Especially if you're into camping on sandbars. Near Alexandria in the Kisatchie Forest is the Backbone Trail which runs high up on the closest thing we have to mountains here in LA. Camping is fantastic there as long as you're not bothered by the faint sounds of the bombing range in the distance or the occassional A-10 Wathogs that scream over your campsite when you least expect it.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Thats awesome. Let me know next time you go. I'd love to tag along and find some good spots.

Yeah we definitely need to keep in touch. Right now it's too freakin hot for backpack primitive camping but around October I'll be back on the trail. For now I'm staying with the state parks and my lounge chair and my beer cooler and my electric fan and my radio...well you get the lazy picture. Wanted to go this weekend but don't feel like dragging out the gear with a 60 and 70% chance of rain Sat. and Sun.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to Cabela's to spend some more money...they're having a big sale.

Last edited:

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    OK, someone asked for reports on campgrounds.
    Out of boredom and because it's just to damm hot to actually camp right now, I figured I'd go scout out Chicot state park, near Ville Plat, 6000 acres, a 2000 acre lake, 200 campsites, rolling hills.
    BIG disapointment to me-I like to camp near the water and this place does not even have a site for a RV where you can even see the lake, let alone camp by it. Most of the sites are not too level, kinda hilly, but do have wooden patios at most.
    I prefer Percy Quin, Tickfaw,Fairview Riverside or Fountainbleu

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Thanks for the update!

In a few weeks we're going to Tickfaw. I'm going to try to get shots of as many of the sites with site #'s as I can...

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I always liked chicot, but havnt been in a couple years. My cousin went last spring and someone raided their ice chest and stole 8-10 pounds of rib eyes! And no, it wasnt the coons like got my ice chest a couple years ago. We were going to go last year, but I know the pool was shut down and mys son would have wanted to swim.
    Tickfaw is becoming our favorite local park. It is big and quiet, plenty of privacy and backwoods feel. We went tubing last time we went and that only adds to the appeal of the park. The waterpark was having issues though and wasnt all that entertaining for the kids. Plus the fishing downright sucked!!

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    Managed to sneak out of work Friday night and salvage a camping trip to Percy Quin this last weekend. I dont have a boat,so the "no lake usage" was no big deal. Apparently it was to most as about 90% of the people had cancelled. We were the only ones in our entire section, except tree frogs and crickets.
    We walked down by the lake,which was pumped down to almost normal. You can see the high water mark below.
    2012-09-03_09-02-16_236.jpg

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I like Tickfaw but it only has around 30 sites so they go fast, usually need to reserve 2 months in advance; I keep a 3 ring binder with the info on all of the campgrounds, make notes which site is best, and which ones group together good when several of us go

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    OK, someone asked for reports on campgrounds.
    Out of boredom and because it's just to damm hot to actually camp right now, I figured I'd go scout out Chicot state park, near Ville Plat, 6000 acres, a 2000 acre lake, 200 campsites, rolling hills.
    BIG disapointment to me-I like to camp near the water and this place does not even have a site for a RV where you can even see the lake, let alone camp by it. Most of the sites are not too level, kinda hilly, but do have wooden patios at most.
    I prefer Percy Quin, Tickfaw,Fairview Riverside or Fountainbleu

If you prefer lakeview camping, and who doesn't, you should give Paul B Johnson State Park a visit. Just south of Hattiesburg and an easy drive up I-59. The campsites wrap around the lake and this is the view

view-of-the-lake-from.jpg

Top Bottom