Why do some people think cursing will help their cause?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Truth there. It's obvious when it's a matter of exigent circumstances that are out of the employee's hands; getting mad will not only do nothing to solve the problem, but it's unwarranted at the same time.

In those cases, I tend to blame the universe and my luck-- not the employees. :D As in... I still get mad, but I'm conscious of being accurate in where I direct it.

Meh. I agree that (obviously) not all of the big box store employees are idiots. However-- neither are all the members of the public.

I know a 'tard when I see one. Just like I know someone is being lazy, intentionally obstinant-- whatever.

If, with no experience at all, I can figure out the problem and tell you how to fix it faster than an employee can work it out... and it's *their job* to know these things... Either I'm a freakin' genius, or they're incompetent.

Seems fair enough to me. :dunno:

For the record, I've never cursed anyone out in that setting. Not because they didn't deserve it or I felt that I wasn't entitled-- but because, as we've illustrated, it rarely solves anything. And I do my level best to avoid conflict in this day in age, where God knows what the results may be...

You are wise. Obi Wan!

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Your first part of this, I know the feeling and to a certain extent I agree with you. That phrase is a business philosophy, mostly. But a good one for the most part. For the greater good of your business.

The second part is spot on! Unfortnately, many businesses don't have boots on the ground that can distinguish those(customers), from scum.

It's a great philosophy. And while it might be an inconvenience in our business due to it's specialized nature, it is a philosophy that my father has practiced and has lead him to wonderful success.

But we also have a customer that takes advantage of our generosity, calling us to swing by "on our way through town" if we were "passing by" and not expect to be billed. Another lady called and raised nine kinds of hell because she felt she was overcharged for a single component. It's true, that was a $9 component that required the entire assembly. She couldn't understand that. Dad finally cut the mooch off, and told the lady he was sorry but he couldn't help her.

In regards to the OP situation: in the retail business, I don't believe anybody has to take verbal abuse. Period.

BTW: Customers should be treated as if "they're right" but it doesn't mean you have to ALWAYS(!) treat them as such. The whole always is the dig.

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    From my experience in retail the customers who bitch the most got their way the fastest, unless they were hostile with a manager

Usually the CS rep would get a new ******* torn and then the manager would give a blowjob on the CS counter to the customer.
    Not just retail...

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    The customer is "always right", is still the main tenet of business. No doubt! But no matter what business you are in; abusive, abrasive, browbeating; and down right disrespect of an owners employees in spite of that, ain't gonna happen in my world!

Mine either. I have had only a handful of people I pulled aside and quietly/politely advised them they were no longer welcome in our clinic. One guy showed up drunk for physical therapy and urinated all over a treatment table. Needless to say that was his first and last time.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    In regards to the OP situation: in the retail business, I don't believe anybody has to take verbal abuse. Period.

Agreed.

But they deserve it (and worse?) in many situations. :cool:

Mistakes are made; people have bad days; sometimes, the issue is out of everyone's hands.

But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to decipher between these circumstances, and someone who's just wasting oxygen. (An employee's attitude goes a long way in this regard. Embarrassed, apologetic, visibly frustrated while still being determined/diligent-- good. Indignant, rude, dumbfounded, or an air of "being above all of this"-- obviously a problem.)

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I'm so sorry sir. Here. Take a complementary button.
    images

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Sometimes it takes months to fire an employee that is a waste of oxygen. If they show up to work, don't steal or get in a fight it takes atleast 90 days to get them out the door if you follow policy. Like I said, often mistakes are made and I spend most of my time fixing them. I make things right, I even put up with some abuse, but really, those who have met me know I do my best to do the right thing, sometimes you are bound by rules of the corporation, sometimes happen beyond your control, but really the only thing that really pisses me off is if you call me a liar, then I usually pass you off to someone else. If you don't trust me, we probably can't come up to a mutually agreeable solution.

I love the ones where I already knew the situation and was going up front to approve what they wanted and they start off cursing and yelling and don't let me talk and instead of getting exactly what they wanted they get kicked out and a summons for disturbing the piece. This happens atleast 1/2 dozen times a year.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Some of those "customers" that are over at your place cursing-out your employees are there because we kicked them out of our place. Oh, they are still "right" but now they are "right" over at your place. :-)

Our GREAT clients don't want to do business at an establishment where people are acting like idiots so we send the idiots away.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    From my experience in retail the customers who bitch the most got their way the fastest, unless they were hostile with a manager

Usually the CS rep would get a new ******* torn and then the manager would give a blowjob on the CS counter to the customer.

Right on! In America, as most places, people try to avoid violence and confrontation. Loud yelling, profanity, etc. is a natural precursor to violence. If you are obnoxious enough with someone who perceives them-self as your physical and or legal equal, you will get your way 100%, 99% of the time. I have NEVER seen it NOT work in a restaurant, etc. . Managers and employees just want the obnoxious person (threat--is what your lizard brain calls them) GONE. The way to do that is to give them what they want--so they do.

Note the caveat about LEGAL equal. Cops can beat you down and haul you off and they know it and so should you. This only works when you are on equal footing (customer/employee, etc.)

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sometimes it takes months to fire an employee that is a waste of oxygen. If they show up to work, don't steal or get in a fight it takes atleast 90 days to get them out the door if you follow policy.

Not to mention if they fall into a "protected group"... The burden they place on a business owner is absolutely ridiculous.

And it contributes to the apathy and abuse of the system; the employees know exactly where they stand. Deliberate incompetence is a million times worse; I'm fairly certain it's also pretty damn common. Absolutely no integrity or drive.

Heck, I wasn't even alive for the "good ol' days"-- but I, too, lament their passing.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    I agree, no one deserves to be verbally abused.
    and no group of people deserve to hear someone profanity.

If you don't like the products or service, go shop somewhere else.

If you want cheap prices on the receipt, there's another cost there somewhere.

Best response to customers who are bullies is to very politely ask them to lower their voice and stop using profanity or they will be asked to leave the store.
    If they comply = all good, hopefully they never return.

If they don't = Dial 911 and report a customer disturbing the peace by using profanity (probably making threats by now) and refusing to leave when asked to do so. Then be sure to press the charges.

A few days of picking up trash might give that donkey a bit of time to reflect on his tactics.

One last note, People like that eat a ton of waiter/cook spit every year in their food.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I agree, no one deserves to be verbally abused.
    and no group of people deserve to hear someone profanity.

If you don't like the products or service, go shop somewhere else.

If you want cheap prices on the receipt, there's another cost there somewhere.

Best response to customers who are bullies is to very politely ask them to lower their voice and stop using profanity or they will be asked to leave the store.
    If they comply = all good, hopefully they never return.

If they don't = Dial 911 and report a customer disturbing the peace by using profanity (probably making threats by now) and refusing to leave when asked to do so. Then be sure to press the charges.

A few days of picking up trash might give that donkey a bit of time to reflect on his tactics.

One last note, People like that eat a ton of waiter/cook spit every year in their food.

I never once saw a cook or waiter spit in any food at Chili's in the roughly 8 months I worked there. Neither did my roommate, or anyone else I know who has been a waiter. The only occasion I was TOLD of was Visine in a drink.

Jester

I thought it was funny...
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    New Orleans Area
    I worked at a store that had on the wall that said "Treat the customer like the are always right." "Even though they are probably wrong." in my teen years.

How about, "If you don't take care of your customers, somebody else will".

Some people just like to bitch, it's just who they are.
    They'll bitch whether the service is good or bad.
    I try not to let them take my attitude away from me...
    Just try to help them and move on.

Disney hit a home run when they introduced their folks to the 'cast concept'.
    Nobody "works" for Disney, they are just members of the cast.
    That allows their folks to "play a role" and not be personally drawn into a conflict if one develops.
    Its not a [personal thing, it's just the role they have to play at that moment.

Just 'play the role" of a salesperson (or doctor, or nurse, or travel agent) dealing with an irrational customer, and go about your day.

Your best revenge on an aggravating customer is to get revenge by making money off the sale!

That's my opinion, anyway.....

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    The business I'm in you have to be nice to people. The public expect professional businesses to act professionally. One problem is the public's perception that people working for big box stores are idiots and flunkies. Although not true when something goes wrong they feel entitled to talk down to and curse them out.
    You see that attitude right here on this board all the time . My wife is in management at a " big box " store and fights this battle every day . Corporate wants you to make every customer happy and that results in her taking a lot of abuse from dickheads that should be thrown out on their asses .

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Sometimes it takes months to fire an employee that is a waste of oxygen. If they show up to work, don't steal or get in a fight it takes atleast 90 days to get them out the door if you follow policy. Like I said, often mistakes are made and I spend most of my time fixing them. I make things right, I even put up with some abuse, but really, those who have met me know I do my best to do the right thing, sometimes you are bound by rules of the corporation, sometimes happen beyond your control, but really the only thing that really pisses me off is if you call me a liar, then I usually pass you off to someone else. If you don't trust me, we probably can't come up to a mutually agreeable solution.

I love the ones where I already knew the situation and was going up front to approve what they wanted and they start off cursing and yelling and don't let me talk and instead of getting exactly what they wanted they get kicked out and a summons for disturbing the piece. This happens atleast 1/2 dozen times a year.

I hear doing that in public is a slap on the wrist, unless juveniles are present. Then it's serious business.

Top Bottom