Why do some people think cursing will help their cause?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Call Amberlamps. :chuckles:

Notice minimized hand movements close to the body, submissive posture (eyes down), arms folded around the body, then behind the back ("hiding"), then the woman led him around the store like a dog. Not a good way to "take charge" or re-direct. Normally this would be a HUGE list of red-flags regarding someone who is lying, but in this case it appears that he may have been lying AND wanted to run/hide,etc.

I don't know, it's sad to watch.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Notice minimized hand movements close to the body, submissive posture (eyes down), arms folded around the body, then behind the back ("hiding"),
    It's called staying calm and trying to diffuse the situtation. He's dealing with an erratic wench.
    Raising his voice and getting aggressive with her would only make her get louder.
    then the woman led him around the store like a dog.
    She was leaving the store.:rofl:
    Not a good way to "take charge" or re-direct. Normally this would be a HUGE list of red-flags regarding someone who is lying, but in this case it appears that he may have been lying AND wanted to run/hide,etc.
    He wanted to get her out of the store.:p

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I think there is a great argument to be made on behalf of constant cursing stemming from a lack of education. Curse words have evolved into meaning whatever you want them to mean and others will know what you want them to mean merely by the emphasis you use it. Hence the ‘F’ word versatility. When angry/frustrated/emotional(To include injury) etc, your ability to make cognitive decisions, or better yet what cognitive decisions you make will be a result of your foundational way of thinking, as in the root education that drives you. Hence again why most people’s root foundation leads them to ‘YELL LOUD and CURSE VULGARLY’. There are thousands of proper words to use. You can’t use them if you don’t know them.

I find that I take somewhat of an offense when someone uses constant vulgar language in everyday talk. It completely leads me to form a pretty biased perception about that person. Not that I shun them in anyway. But that I definitely put them in a category of people I will most likely not associate with if at all possible.

Oddly enough in the Marine Corps I didn’t have this issue since I viewed everything there as mission and life essential. Once home in the evenings and such and on leave, I didn’t talk that way. However even in the Marine Corps to include boot camp even today there is a drive for Drill Instructors to not curse. Reason being, because cursing is easy to do, to be highly motivated, yelling and provide extremely intense correction takes much discipline. That kind of discipline is sought after in the Drill Instructor program and it’s the same philosophy I use today to use proper English to communicate no matter the situation.

BUT! I curse like a SOB when I injure myself so F. off! And leave me the hell alone!!!

No, but seriously I find that I curse most often when telling jokes b/c the emphasis is usually needed for the punch line.

Meh, that’s the way I see it.

:mamoru:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    It's called staying calm and trying to diffuse the situtation. He's dealing with an erratic wench.
    Raising his voice and getting aggressive with her would only make her get louder.

She was leaving the store.:rofl:

He wanted to get her out of the store.:p

Didn't know where she was headed, I just know that his posturing was classic "I'm lying" if not for the situation at hand, which said "I'm very uncomfortable".

As to re-directing, since she was leaving she needed none. Otherwise, the goal is to usually CHANGE the person's channel (not necessarily in an aggressive manner, either), not let them continue working themselves into a froth. It only gets worse.

Last edited:

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I firmly believe that EVERYONE coming out of high school, graduating or not, should have to do a 2 year stint in either the Military or Wal-Mart. That way they will appreciate a good job when they get it. I did both and believe me, other than hating the Christmas season now (the plastic Santas come out in July BTW), I have a new found appreciation for my college education and the job I hold now.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I firmly believe that EVERYONE coming out of high school, graduating or not, should have to do a 2 year stint in either the Military or Wal-Mart. That way they will appreciate a good job when they get it. I did both and believe me, other than hating the Christmas season now (the plastic Santas come out in July BTW), I have a new found appreciation for my college education and the job I hold now.

I agree. I worked for Chili's. Talk about welfare central. I am appreciative. However, I don't agree for the same reasons. I think that the experiences I had at Chili's taught me a lot about dealing with irate, frothed up adult children.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge

I was just venting again, I have had wonderful transactions with all of my personal customers.

Some of my "big box" customers remind me of the patrons on hardcore pawn. They make some insane demand and expect you to give them the world because they can call "home office". I have got news for you "home office" is a minimum wage operator working at a regional office that sends me an email explaining I had a customer complaint. It is great when a front level employee causes a problem and I get to find out about it , but it is not going to get me fired, or as one patron put it " you gunn get ****ed up when I'm done calling home office."

deuxlatch

Airbus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Lafayette, La/Houston Tx.
    I once had a "customer", 5yr old son in tow, call me an idiot because I wouldn't load 20 bags of potting soil into his truck for him. My job was assembly of bikes and keep the bike rack full at all times and because the back stockroom was full of crap and cluttered I had to work out in the garden center at the time. It seemed that all the GC personnel all had to go to the bathroom at once, leaving me the only one out there at the time. Lucky for him he yelled that from a distance because when I finally got out from behind the pile of boxes to confront him he was long gone. I am a Desert Storm Veteran and just because I was working at Wal-Mart didn't make me an "idiot." BTW it was a hot and miserable day and I was in no mood to be belittled like that.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Sometimes it takes months to fire an employee that is a waste of oxygen. If they show up to work, don't steal or get in a fight it takes atleast 90 days to get them out the door if you follow policy. Like I said, often mistakes are made and I spend most of my time fixing them. I make things right, I even put up with some abuse, but really, those who have met me know I do my best to do the right thing, sometimes you are bound by rules of the corporation, sometimes happen beyond your control, but really the only thing that really pisses me off is if you call me a liar, then I usually pass you off to someone else. If you don't trust me, we probably can't come up to a mutually agreeable solution.

I love the ones where I already knew the situation and was going up front to approve what they wanted and they start off cursing and yelling and don't let me talk and instead of getting exactly what they wanted they get kicked out and a summons for disturbing the piece. This happens atleast 1/2 dozen times a year.

Not to mention if they fall into a "protected group"... The burden they place on a business owner is absolutely ridiculous.

And it contributes to the apathy and abuse of the system; the employees know exactly where they stand. Deliberate incompetence is a million times worse; I'm fairly certain it's also pretty damn common. Absolutely no integrity or drive.

Heck, I wasn't even alive for the "good ol' days"-- but I, too, lament their passing.

No way guys! Right to work state! Dump their asses if the wind blows in the wrong direction. You may have to pay unemployment benefits from your company's account(which is the biggest disappointment to me), but you cut the cancer off before it becomes terminal. Obviously, everyone can be sued for wrongful termination, but you can be sued for ANYTHING at anytime, anywhere.

If they are garbage! Get rid of them!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Some people will never be satisfied no matter what steps are taken towards pacifying them. They just like to hear themselves talk- or perhaps are just miserable trolls who like to take it out on people that they perceive can't get by without their holy partronage.

I couldn't do it either, Cat. Emperor is spot on, I believe. You do whatever you can to make people happy. When it's evident that you are only trying unsuccessfully to satify a rude a-hole, and there's nothing in it for you- deep-six their ass. :)

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I once had a "customer", 5yr old son in tow, call me an idiot because I wouldn't load 20 bags of potting soil into his truck for him. My job was assembly of bikes and keep the bike rack full at all times and because the back stockroom was full of crap and cluttered I had to work out in the garden center at the time. It seemed that all the GC personnel all had to go to the bathroom at once, leaving me the only one out there at the time. Lucky for him he yelled that from a distance because when I finally got out from behind the pile of boxes to confront him he was long gone. I am a Desert Storm Veteran and just because I was working at Wal-Mart didn't make me an "idiot." BTW it was a hot and miserable day and I was in no mood to be belittled like that.

Haha, that reminds me of a roommate I once had. "I'm a MARINE!" was how he began all of his confrontations. Memories.

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    Bottom line with me after 22 years of managing is..........you drop the "F" bomb, no matter WHO you are, customer, employee OR my boss and it's on like Donkey Kong.

NO ONE is going to talk to me or my employees like they are trash.

I think most of this is our fault as consumers.
    Take McDonald's drive through............
    isn't the entire premise based on not having to wait?
    yet, we allow them to disignate parking spaces JUST to make us wait.
    How in Lord's land can you be "out" of french fries at Micky D's at high noon??

So what do we do..................pull over and wait.

We as consumers have allowed the lines to grey on what great service is............all to save 75 cents on toilet paper at Wal-mart instead of the local mom and pop stores that still remember my name when I am there.

I refuse to go in to Wal-mart if there is even a remote chance of a locally owned store.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Cursing not okay. Cussin is okay but not cursing. Cursing is usually done towards others cause the curser is usually an as-hole, unless you do it to someone who just cut you off. Cussin is usually what you say to yourself for doing stupid stuff, like cursing, or hittin' your thumb with a hammer, or stepping on a rattlesnake.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    i can totally understand a situation like this morning.. i drove through that traffic! my gripe is when the same places, such as fried chicken joints, continually neglect basic customer service... when cursing comes into play, that person forfeited all deserving respect from me or my employee.. i will throw them out of my shop asap

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I refuse to go in to Wal-mart if there is even a remote chance of a locally owned store.

Boy, do we need to spread this philosophy more in this city/state! I gaurantee, everyone has a story they could tell on this subject.

When I see people flocking to the Olive Garden (for example), knowing that almost all their produce, meats, seafoods, and supplies are outsourced out of Louisiana, and almost all the money they make is going back to Orlando, it's really sad! If more Louisianans only knew how bad this is hurting their own economy, tax base, infrastructure, etc..

And the food is s**t to boot! :ugh:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Boy, do we need to spread this philosophy more in this city/state! I gaurantee, everyone has a story they could tell on this subject.

When I see people flocking to the Olive Garden (for example), knowing that almost all their produce, meats, seafoods, and supplies are outsourced out of Louisiana, and almost all the money they make is going back to Orlando, it's really sad! If more Louisianans only knew how bad this is hurting their own economy, tax base, infrastructure, etc..

And the food is s**t to boot! :ugh:

Dang, my employer and my wife's employer both got slammed in this thread. If you know a locally owned restaurant that will let my wife work 9 -3 M-F, give her full health benefits, a generous 401k match, disability (pregnancy and when she had her gallbladder out) and will pay her 30k a year, let me know, she'll be there tomorrow.

Just because someone works at a big box, doesn't mean they are not college educated. The big box happens to pay more than my school path pays, heck it pays a whole lot more than a lot of jobs that require college degrees, pays more than most that require only 4 year degrees. I don't mind the work, with vacations I work 152 days a year. That leaves me lots of time to start my own business and slowly ween off the big box job.

I do have a new salaried manager that works for me, he came straight out of the Marines and he says sometimes "big box retailer" is worse than a war zone...

BTW, I agree the OG food sucks, the only thing I liked they took off the menu, but ya know it helps to pay the bills and provides a schedule where Ashley can pick up and drop off our Son without relying on daycare.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Dang, my employer and my wife's employer both got slammed in this thread. If you know a locally owned restaurant that will let my wife work 9 -3 M-F, give her full health benefits, a generous 401k match, disability (pregnancy and when she had her gallbladder out) and will pay her 30k a year, let me know, she'll be there tomorrow.

Just because someone works at a big box, doesn't mean they are not college educated. The big box happens to pay more than my school path pays, heck it pays a whole lot more than a lot of jobs that require college degrees, pays more than most that require only 4 year degrees. I don't mind the work, with vacations I work 152 days a year. That leaves me lots of time to start my own business and slowly ween off the big box job.

I do have a new salaried manager that works for me, he came straight out of the Marines and he says sometimes "big box retailer" is worse than a war zone...

BTW, I agree the OG food sucks, the only thing I liked they took off the menu, but ya know it helps to pay the bills and provides a schedule where Ashley can pick up and drop off our Son without relying on daycare.

Whoa! I am not knocking their employees. I am not knocking them, either.

Here is my synopsis; National chains like Olive Garden have home offices outside of most of the states they do business in. These large chains also have their own buying consortiums. In this case, Olive Garden gets their produce, meats, foods, canned goods, seafood, etc.. from their own BC's which are located outside of Louisiana as well. They will send trucks in here with all this stuff and no locally owned vendors get a shot at selling them these things. Now in terms of taxes, because they buy from their own BC's, and they are out of state, they will pay no state taxes on those items. As for revenues, they will send their profits back to Orlando(home base), and that means that of all the business they get from our people (and you know it's alot), the only revenues that stay here are those salaries that the employees make (which you must admit, outside of the higher end managers, isn't very significant as income is concerned), and what ever parish or state tax the OG has to pay at the time of sale for food, and the very few things they have no choice but to buy here. I would submit, that if they could get their own pest control company from Florida, that local guy would be out too.

Contrast that scenario with a locally owned restaurant, that does everything I outlined above opposite and ALL the money, the business, the buying, the patronage to other local business, the incomes, the profits, are all reinvested here. Big difference.

I think it's great that these places offer choices. After all, we are Americans. But we as a local community have to start looking past our bellies and the national marketing campaigns to understand how those dollars are being squeezed out of here.

It's just one example (and a big one), where we could really help our own communities out by at least considering buying local.

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    We do lots of local business for sure. When we eat out (Which is rare) it is 90% of the time a local place.

I appreciate that someone can take a mom and pop local business and turn it into a multi state or multi nation corporation, but corporations tend to lose their soul when the founder is no longer involved. Everyone has to start somewhere, and you can't punish a business for becoming successful, you can punish them for becoming unethical.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    We do lots of local business for sure. When we eat out (Which is rare) it is 90% of the time a local place.

I appreciate that someone can take a mom and pop local business and turn it into a multi state or multi nation corporation, but corporations tend to lose their soul when the founder is no longer involved. Everyone has to start somewhere, and you can't punish a business for becoming successful, you can punish them for becoming unethical.

My rule is; if I don't sell them, I don't eat there. Works very well for all involved! :rockon:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom