Why don't people like S&W Sigmas?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    I have yet to shoot a completely inaccurate gun, I think most guns are inherently accurate but it is your ability to be accurate with them, does the gun work well with you or not. That is when the trigger, sights, and ergonomics comes into play. Yes I can shoot cheap guns well, yes I can shoot small guns well, and I have out-grouped scoped hunting rifles with my ak47. If the only knock on the sigma is the trigger, well that is easy enough to fix in my mind.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    This is kind of like a redundant thread cuz it could be a "why don't people like Glock" thread as well since there is such a stigma about Glocks just as there are Sigma hater clubs.

If you like the Sigma then buy it. I would shoot it first if you can but more power to ya for standing your ground! I personally don't think much about Sigmas but they are not "bad" guns. Just make sure you like it despite what everybody says.

Last edited:

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Got things figured out!!!

Ok Please just PM me with your address and I will personally come out and pick up any guns you feel are inaccurate or inadequite and keep them in a contolled atmosphere! Shoot them, clean them, heck treat them like they were mine!

ALL FOR FREE!

Fair Enough?

Last edited:

SeaZast

Nawlins AK Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Nawlins
    I've started a war! Not really, but I really appreciate all the responses. It all boils down to the trigger... and maybe accuracy and misfires... You'd think that after S&W selling these pistols for so long, they would do something about it? Ya know, spend a few minutes extra on the trigger before it left the factory? I'd love to get one, but probably not now. Snookie, I bet you have a good shooter, but a lot apparently don't. If I buy a 40 for primary purposes, it better work, or I'm dead :)

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    I accept the Nomination

The man speaks the truth....Snookie (huggie bear) for prez!!!

obama-king-flip.jpg

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Well the Sigma isn't inaccurate by design. It's the trigger it has that makes it tougher to get out all accuracy it's design is capable of giving. However if you were to shoot it a lot then you will adjust to it and shoot the Sigma well.

But if I give 100 people factory spec Sigma's (the copy) and factory spec GLOCK's (the original) and ask them to shoot them for accuracy and speed. i.e. USPSA competition type stuff. Some people WILL shoot the Sigma better. But I believe the vast majority of people will score much better with the GLOCK. The reason is only because the factory trigger will be better in the GLOCK. As far as jams I don't feel there'll be a significant difference between the two if both are shooting factory spec ammo.

Since I'm not a GLOCK fan and don't shoot it well even tricked up. I won't be buying either.

Dave

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    dwr461....

I agree....I don't "hate" glock....I just can't shoot them for sh!t...the grip doesn't work for me....it naturally points way too high for the way I point and shoot....

A lot of $$$ on ammo and time at the range would probably fix that, but for the time being, I'm firmly in the "Some people WILL shoot the Sigma better." group.....even with the heavy trigger....

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    I've heard of S&W lightening these triggers for free (as another poster mentioned about Frank in Texas - I think he's an authorized S&W warranty guy).

Most of the bitches about the Sigma are from the earlier models from what I understand. The VE series is a better quality.

I don't mind the heavy trigger but do see where accuracy is lost if you aren't used to it.

It's got a great feel to the gun in hand and is very similar to the Glock in my opinion (looks)

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    Why don't people like S&W Sigmas? They seem to me to be nice guns. Have they had problems in the past? Is it the polymer frame? Is it the cheap price? What gives?

I am in the market for a new gun. I will probably chose a Taurus, but the Sigmas are the same price range and might consider that...

had a SW9VE, trigger was insanely heavy and couldn't hit crap with it.

shot an XD along side it and had no problems whatsoever hitting targets

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I would go up against any of my handguns for accuracy......except my gp 100.

I respect anyone's position....shoot what feels good to you. For me,yes, I can drive tacks with MY sigma. Shoot it alot too. That is probably why I can shoot it so well. As for as my glock, I hated it. Several FTF and misfire. Slide failed to fully engauge forward. Just did not like it. Was not accurate past 10 yds.

Dont know.....just my experience

Ahh, fair enough. Again, I totally appreciate your position and certainly believe you shoot the Sigma better than the Glock. Diversity-- it make-a da world go 'round.

SeaZast said:
    You'd think that after S&W selling these pistols for so long, they would do something about it?

They did. It's called the M&P. :cool:

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    well now they also introduced the sd series which apparently has a trigger weight between the sigma and m&p, which is kinda like what is the point? If you want to make guns with decent trigger pulls be consistent and make them all that way. They are all the same design so working on them is not bad but still why this some heavy, some not heavy, now something in the middle? Makes no since on the part of s&w.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    No this is a NEW topic around here. It's not about Walmart, why can't I carry here, this business was mean to me, the GlOCK, the 1911, or some magic bullet I shoot that'll kill every bad guy and always keep me safe.

:)

Dave

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    well now they also introduced the sd series which apparently has a trigger weight between the sigma and m&p, which is kinda like what is the point? .

The SD was actually manufactured after heaving MANY complaints and warranty repairs on the Sigma Line, they had already mass produced frames for the Sigma that needed to be used so they "invented" the SD.

Its just as over priced as the Sigma.

As mentioned B4 if you want an S&W buy an M&P which is an outstanding platform once you add an APEX trigger she becomes a BEAST, the rest I will pass unless its a revolver or a non traditional 1911 with external extractor.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    The SD was actually manufactured after heaving MANY complaints and wAs mentioned B4 if you want an S&W buy an M&P which is an outstanding platform once you add an APEX trigger she becomes a BEAST, the rest I will pass unless its a revolver or a non traditional 1911 with external extractor.

The drop in APEX is a great option, and it's very easy to do standard trigger work on as well. Without changing springs, you can have a very crisp, smooth and soft pull-- mostly polishing, along with some minimal removal of material from a couple of components. Thanks to Dan Burwell putting out a .pdf on the subject, there are plenty of competent gunsmiths capable of doing the job. Heck, you can even do it yourself if you're that type of person.

I am, of course, biased-- my M&P .45 continues to impress me as a shooter.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I have the .pdf in case somebody wants it :), I actually made a post months ago that showed the process, great gun and its definelty on my buy list in the future.

M&P 9 Pro

SeaZast

Nawlins AK Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Nawlins
    I'd now consider getting one in 40, but I'd actually rather it used and broken in. Plus, I ain't got no tools to work on a gun! I can only shoot and clean them. Y'all have been a great help.

Top Bottom