Why don't people like S&W Sigmas?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Ok, I have owned 4 sigmas, all 40 cal. Some were older, and some were newer (od green frame). All had the IDENTICAL trigger and everything else was identical. S&W did nothing to these guns, all are the same (save for sight differences, color, and ported barrels).

The SD has the same internals, so it is a sigma too. I pulled one apart at a gun show and the frame and trigger stuff is identical to the sigma.

Trigger reset is the problem, you can make a decent pull with polishing, and trim the springs, but you cannot improve the reset. Soooo, that is the issue, and why the glock or xd is superior.

I have done trigger work on glock, xd and sigma, plus others. Got the trigger very slick, but it still had a long pull and long reset, making quick shooting difficult.

Plus the materials, design and finishes applied to a glock are much superior to the sigmas and other plastic guns.

So get a used glock.

I picked all of my sigmas up for around 200 bucks. And made money on all of them when they sold.

Adam490

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Hammond, LA
    I've shot 2 different Sigma's, both in .40. One had only been fired twice since being purchased new and the trigger was pretty atrocious. The other one had 200-300 rounds through it and it was by far the worst firearm I've ever handled. It had a few FTF and there were a few times the trigger never reset.

SeaZast

Nawlins AK Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Nawlins
    Yikes... changed my mind again. I wouldn't consider one of these for this reason: it's hit or miss on functionality, mostly miss. I'll spend my money on a Taurus 40. Not top of the line, but reasonable and no horror stories like this Sigma. I'll take my chances with them.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    For a little bit more money,buy a Ruger P95 (9mm) or a P94 (40cal). A bit bulkier to conceal but such a great reputation of dependability and build. If not to conceal and keep in the house,you can't go wrong with the Ruger...9mm or 40cal. Of course,I would recommend the Springfield XD line or any Glock or M&P but I realize you have a budget.

Nothing wrong with Taurus (though,not my 1st choice) but you really need to not "settle" for personal protection. Your life shouldn't take a backseat to finances or the lack there of.

With that said,Taurus is a good company and make decent guns that have won awards. They too have their issues. My final reccomendation would be the Rugers for dependabilty,functionality and price.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Yep, ruger would be my choice in that price range. I have had a few and found no isses with them at all. A bit big, but built like tanks and will last. I have not had alot of success with taurus save for the raging bull, so I stay away from their autos. For what they ask for them new I would rather have a used glock or xd.

Aberdog1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Kansas
    Wow..I was afraid this thread had died..I was out shooting my (god forbid) 9mm and 40cal today. Once again they performed flawlessly and hit what I was aiming at. I guess I should quit shooting them before they have a FTF or FTE. Each one has over 1000 rounds thru them. I should have spent more money so I could have had the same results with a more expensive pistol. Just a thought:dogkeke:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Wow..I was afraid this thread had died..I was out shooting my (god forbid) 9mm and 40cal today. Once again they performed flawlessly and hit what I was aiming at. I guess I should quit shooting them before they have a FTF or FTE. Each one has over 1000 rounds thru them. I should have spent more money so I could have had the same results with a more expensive pistol. Just a thought:dogkeke:

I don't think anyone (in this thread, at least) was openly attacking them, just voicing opinions and experiences. It was pretty well summed up with a "hit or miss" assessment. Yours work, others work-- the one I've been around doesn't feed anything reliably, and the trigger is shockingly bad.

I have never heard much about them in terms of durability. But I can say for sure, 1k rounds is not many in the grand scheme of things.

I totally appreciate the experiences of others, and support folks in their ability to make decisions for themselves. For me, however, a Sigma is not in the cards, and I have my reasons why. The OP wanted opinions, and he got 'em-- including those in favor of the pistol, which are just as valid as those against it.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly

I have lost track of the times/classes where I have put 1000 rounds in 1 or 2 days through a glock

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    The 40 stands for 40lbs of trigger pull. :)

And with careful polishing, altering a few springs and alot of rounds thru the gun you can successfully get it down to 39lb pull... And a 1" reset. The pull was a bit heavy, but after a few hours of work I got the trigger very smooth. Problem was, I could not see a way to get a shorter reset out of the trigger geometry/design. So I went back to a glock with the ghost disconnector. Much better, I can shoot quick followups with the wait!

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

While your experiences with your sample of (2) are great, that is not representative (apparently) with the majority. It is kinda like the guy whose High Point runs like a champ, Sure, some will, hell, even most will, but if a large enough representative sample have a consistent issue, many will take heed.

The snide comments aside, you do not hear about these reliability issues with Glocks, HK, or even SW MP.

We have over 500 Sigmas where I am at right now, and let's just say that I am not impressed. I would never bet my life on one.

Any make or model gun can be a lemon, and and manufacturer can make a few good guns, but most firearms have a reputation for a reason.

i am glad yours are working for you...for now.

Issues such as trigger, weight, grip angle, etc. are subjective to the point of being irrelevant with the exception IMO of trigger pull weight as it directly correlates to 99.9% of people's ability to shoot accurately and is physically a relative hindrance to accurate and fast follow-up shots.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I had heard that the one's they bought for the Trash-can-istani's from S&W were suffering numerous and common failures that couldn't be fixed in the middle of a situation. Then I was either told or dreamed it. That they bought surplus Beretta's from the UK's army with much better luck. Can you either confirm or deign that?

Dave

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I imagine they would be going now to use the "Caracal" platform as it is local but I'm sure NOLA can say yes or no to that, I know they were super proud to introduce it couple of years ago in Europe as a Concept and now that is a reality their own market should be the first to be attacked and tested on but DUNO.

Top Bottom