Why is it so hard to sell an XD?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    XD mags lock up when dirty. The threshold was way too low for my comfort. Glocks and HK's don't. Otherwise, I found them to be decent guns.

Sorry for adding to the wee wee match.

Last edited:

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    XDMs have certainly put a crunch in XD sales. However,some folks can't justify spending more for a "match barrel". It is a step up from the XD and Springfield Armory has done a great job in marketing this gimmick. Wether you disagree with me or not,you have to admit that strategy pretty much left the XDs in the dust. XDM more accurate than the XD? IMO it just gives other shooters a crutch to lean on rather than perfecting their shooting skills. Great shooters that started out back in the day with less than what is offered today didn't need gimmicks and buzzwords to become what they are now...just hard work and practice.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Point of fact-- if the question "why isn't this XD selling" can be answered in terms of how it compares to the competition, then it's not a pissing match when the thread heads in that direction. (And before anyone gets sore, I'm not claiming that XD's are junk when compared to Glocks or M&P's.)

Question: "Why is it so hard to sell an XD?"
    Answer: "Because they are not as popular as the competition."

Duh! But really, that's all it boils down to. The better question (and your intended one) is why aren't they as popular?

1) The "LEO Factor"

Based on my limited Googling, which is what a prospective buyer is probably going to do... the only large PD that actually issues the XD is Chicago :rofl:. True or false? The answer: it doesn't matter, because that's the only affirmative answer I found in the top 3 hits. What I do know for sure is that it's not a common selection.

People tend to think of military or duty issue firearms as "the one to buy". How often does someone ask, "What ammo are the LEO using around here?" In most cases (the M9 aside), this isn't a bad line of thinking. Now, the XD line is reportedly on the "approved list" for many places, and rightfully so. But just how often do you see one on an officer's hip? I can't think of a single instance-- and trust me, I look!

2) Hollywood and "Cool Factor"

Can you recall a single movie where the XD appears-- especially in the hands of the star? However, the lead characters in two of my girlfriend's favorite TV series carry Glocks-- as do their partners, fellow agents/officers and many of their adversaries as well.

To be fair, I can only recall one M&P featured. But the Glock is certainly immortalized. Rappers mention them all the time, right?

3) The Interwebz

Even logical, learned and unbiased people find some of their "truth" on the internet. And it's a MUCH greater influence on "casual shooters", which make up the vast majority of the community. Valid or not, negative comments are going to be a factor. Someone might not even know what bore axis means, but avoid the XDs because theirs is higher than the competition.

A Personal Take

I wouldn't feel a bit nervous staking my life on an XD. I'd own one as a toy if the circumstances were right. But I prefer the competition polymer pistols, and have several non-BS members who feel the same way.

Compared to the Glocks and M&P's, they look and feel "more plastic-y". The grip feels good, but not as good as the M&P and only a bit better than the Glock. I can feel the difference of the bore axis while shooting at speed. I don't need the grip safety. Austrian engineered/constructed > American > Croatian... at least in my eyes. I don't want to even think about rust on any firearm I own, no matter how uncommon a problem it might be. The mag issue Tulse mentioned, while new to me, doesn't instill confidence-- especially when you're dropping them in powder-fine sand at a match.

That's one man's view, of course-- and a lot of it is preference, opinion or assumption. HOWEVER, any one of these issues might be the deciding factor when it comes time for someone to make a purchase. Perception is everything!

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    YES movie I am legend when he shoots the dog looking things Will Smith had an XD :).

Otherwise good points
    I am sorry, but I just can not let this egregious affront to my beloved Teutonic Wizards of Weaponry, Edmund Heckler, Theodor Koch, and Alex Seidel stand. ;) :rofl:
    He used a desert tan framed Mark 23 SOCOM .45. :boink:

onelochevy

XD 45
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Slidell
    Jason Statham used one in Crank: High Voltage. But yea, you hardly ever see them. I love my XD, but would like to aquire a Glock eventually.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    There were two comments made that I TOTALLY agree with, and has much to do with the difficulty of selling your XD.

The first: the economy is still NOT good, and the gun market is really NOT like it used to be. Hopefully, that will change in a year or two. It's much more difficult to sell these days.

The second: packages do not sell well. Break up your deal, and sell it seperately. In the end, you'll get your price more often than not.

Good luck with the sale!

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Yea, i think sub-compacts/compacts sell better than the full frame brothers bc people can actually use daily. I found a buyer for moonshoxx xd bc so many people shot my xd subcompact and ended up buying one after doing so. It would have sold in a day if i would have told my friend the first day i saw the ad. I have a feeling if i listed my m&p9c with apex parts for 450 it would sell pretty quickly also bc its small and sought after and is also the new "it" item lately.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    So much XD hate. Let's see, your XD isn't getting a lot of interest here because:
    1. It's a rust bucket- so much so, even the polymer rusts!
    2. It's imported by a US company that puts US Flags and other US markings on the grips somewhere that everyone with an XD can't seem to find - conspiracy theory developing...
    3. There's no role for them except for silly people who think a grip safety is a good idea -morons
    4. XDM has replaced it with a gimmicky match barrel and plastic trinkets - more appeal to the morons who will fall for anything - the case is pretty nice though
    5. The match grade barrel is a crutch for crappy shooters who don't deserve to hit anything better than the seven ring until they've suffered with misaligned sites and crooked barrels just like I had to.
    6. Magazines fail when they get dirty. How dirty? well, that's not important, they just do. And they're hard to read (covering all types of magazines just in case)
    7. It's made in Croatia, land of pot metal, basketball players, and the only place still manufacturing rust buckets.
    Why the hate? Did I miss the XD fanboy that posted how the XD is the absolute best thing and may never be surpassed until Star Trek phasers are available? Did SA deny warranty repairs or something? It's Rob Leatham isn't it?

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    OK, now that we've established all the short comings, I'll offer you $250 in cash or a Hi point 9mm but you will have to kick in some cash or ammo.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    McFreddieMercury
    Top Bottom