Are AR's that good or are they just a doodlers hobby

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Wow, I almost popped a blood vessel reading the first few posts. In my opinion I think every red blooded (legal) American should own a weapon is every NATO caliber. 5.56 and 9mm come to mind. And of course a 7.62.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I hear and see a whole lot about AR's. It seems like everyone that has one spends many hours and moocho de niro playing with them. Kinda like someone with a two tone car that goes around puttin' on mag wheels and antennas all over it.

Are the AR's really that good functionally or are they mostly a play toy kinda thing. Just curious.

Jim, I think they are DAMN good! BUT I will say I am a K.I.S.S. kinda guy and we all know that K.I.S.S.= KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID well all my AR's are built and used on this concept. BUT I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the "TACTICOOL" AR's that you have seen many of! I do like the looks of these it's just not for me! I do think it awesome that there are so many options and different directions that you can go with the AR's. And one thing you do have to remember.....they are relatively inexpensive to shoot! (Compared to many other EBR's)

IF you don't have one.....well get one and try it out! If it isn't your thing...sell or trade it, you will NOT be left in the hole!

Now that's my .02 YMMV!

KT

And just as a side note: When reading about what is the "INFERIOR" weapon.......well these are all "INFERIOR" when compared to the "Right Arm of the Free World." The FAL rifle! ;) More countries have used the FAL/L1A1 as their primary BATTLE RIFLE than any other rifle!

DSC_0030-1.jpg

Last edited:

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Guns and Ammo editors Craig Boddington and Richard Venola ran a stock milspec Rock River and Stag Arms M4 AR15 on their TV show in 2008 with 10K rounds through each rifle without cleaning, they did however, lube the bolt/carrier (through gas holes in carrier) and inside the carrier at 5K with no major malfunctions, I cant recall exactly what ammo they used, but it was all the same manufacturer, it took them 1.5 days to complete the tests.

Calvary Arms also did a torture test with one of their units in the desert with 10K rounds with oiling only, you may be able to find both of these on youtube,

Last edited:

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    TALE OF OLE DIRTY click here

Rumor has it they must be cleaned as well!

attachment.php

But of course the above pic is ONLY 9400 rounds without cleaning so ya know how rumors go! :confused:

OK what the hell, LETS clean it!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

OK she is clean! LETS SHOOT!

attachment.php

Problem is they "JUST ARE NOT ACCURATE"!!

:) :rofl:

NOW! Show me your AR with 15K rounds WITHOUT Cleaning!!

attachment.php

Can't see the pics without being logged in over there.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Yes I know he's kidding. He's still a dumb a$$.

Dave

awww, you hurt my feelings.

Take a joke, chief. My post was just one more regurgitation of internet hilarity that followed many posts doing the same.

Go find yourself a rectal stick puller.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I have read Snoops.com. And I have heard over and over again that Mettal toys did not have anything to do with the M-16. But I can tell you that I have seen them. I was a unit armor in the early 80's and we had Vietnam era M-16s and some were stamped made by Mettal on the lower receiver. We used to get a big kick out of them when we issued them out.

:rolleyes:

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I have read Snoops.com. And I have heard over and over again that Mettal toys did not have anything to do with the M-16.

If you had actually read that Snopes.com article, you would see that they did, in fact, manufacture the handgrip. That is where the Mattel stamp was located, and that is what has lead to this misconception/rumor. http://www.snopes.com/military/m16.asp

In my opinion I think every red blooded (legal) American should own a weapon is every NATO caliber. 5.56 and 9mm come to mind. And of course a 7.62.

+1000... I'm assuming you mean both the 7.62 NATO and the 7.62 x 39. I would also recommend including weapons chambered in common US calibers that have been produced for over 50 years... .30-06 Springfield, .30-30 Winchester, .45 ACP, .357 Magnum (.38 Special), 12 gauge and 20 gauge come immediately to mind. Oh, and EVERYONE should own AT LEAST one weapon in .22 LR - preferably a rifle!

I mean really. . . who makes a firearm out of plastic?

Remington Nylon 66 FTW!!! :cool:

Nylon66_1.jpg

Last edited:

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville

NOT bad but if you will check OLE dirty is still spitting them out!!

You guys are sick! I don't care what weapon, what caliber, mine all get cleaned after a shooting trip! 1 round or 100 rounds EVERY weapon I own right now in my house are CLEANED! NOT cleaning a weapon is like taking a dump and not wipeing ya a$$, and expecting NOT to STINK like the back end of a cattle truck!!

Last edited:

Leethar

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You guys are sick! I don't care what weapon, what caliber, mine all get cleaned after a shooting trip! 1 round or 100 rounds EVERY weapon I own right now in my house are CLEANED! NOT cleaning a weapon is like taking a dump and not wipeing ya a$$, and expecting NOT to STINK like the back end of a cattle truck!!

You're the one who asked to see an AR with 15,000 rounds through it. Not my gun. Over cleaning can actually damage the bore, especially if you don't do it right. All my guns get cleaned too, but I don't overdo it. Just a basic wipedown and some more lube, maybe a boresnake if it's been a few hundred rounds.

Oh, and that is certainly not the only AR that has been shot that much. If you read, that was not a high-end high speed "Tier 1" AR. It was a frankengun made of decidedly mid range parts. Several Carbine course instructors have "Loaner" rifles that have 10,000+ rounds through them with very minimal maintenance and no parts breakages.

I'm not deriding the FN FAL, or even saying an AR requires less maintenance than the FAL (I actually really like the FAL.) You simply suggested that an AR cannot run for 15,000 rounds with little maintenance. You were incorrect.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    NOT bad but if you will check OLE dirty is still spitting them out!!

So if that is the case, why are you arguing about guns reliability based on if they are cleaned or not? It shouldn't matter if it can go that long without cleaning to you if you clean your guns that much.

Top Bottom