Are AR's that good or are they just a doodlers hobby

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    IF there were ammo to be 'picked up' their'll be a rifle next to it.

ONLY reason the AR is so prevelent... is the military/cops use it (And the reason so many PD's use it is b/c many are vets AND they can get M16's from the Gov't INSANELY cheap)

IF that were not the case... nobody'd use the POS.

The logic is that the PD Stations will be huge ammo supply points that will not be manned. I know, I know fat chance of that happening. If they weren't using the AR I would assume it would be the mini 14 with .223:dunno:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Tim, I thought you were a .308 fan?

I too was resistant to trying an AR. I eventually caved in and built an AR. It works and I like it. Its very accurate. I'm not so sure about .223 as a military combat round, but for target shooting it works fine. I still want another upper in 6.8SPC though.

.223 works fine for home defense, I don't know how well it would work for clearing infested caves though...

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I don't have much personal experience with AR-15/M16 variants, but the people who I do know that have used them in REAL combat situations, not hole punchers, loved them. Accurate, manageable, light, and light ammunition. Many critics of the AR do not even own or have used one. I love the AR because of how versatile it is, and am looking forward to owning my first in a few days :D

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Anybody got some spare buckets of steam lying around?

lol. I actually had a friend of mine in high school. We made fun of his dad (Vietnamese and didn't speak too much English). We told him his dad ain't no rocket scientist. Turned out here worked for NASA at Stennis working on rockets...lol

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Just toys really

15c2d139.jpg

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    I can believe no one brought up the recoil, it's a MF. How does a plastic gun with sooooo much recoil stay to gether for more than 2 rounds?

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Tim, I thought you were a .308 fan?

I am, the only AR I own is an AR-10, I do have a stripped lower in hand and several more on order all AR-15s though.

Many critics of the AR do not even own or have used one. I love the AR because of how versatile it is, and am looking forward to owning my first in a few days

I think the biggest critic here has ample enough experience with the platform, my biggest issue with the AR isn't the platform but the caliber.

Like I have said plenty times before I have witnessed/participated in many of night fires and you can watch the 5.56 rounds from a SAW get deflected by twigs, leaves etc... where as the a 240 firing 7.62 shooting out of the same brush didn't have but maybe a 1/4 of the deflected shots.

If you keep the platform well maintained it should be sufficient in my opinion and it should suffice for what most of us here will ask it to do.

Just saying

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Who the hell had 28 rounds? I was given 3 rounds for katrina, and 30 for gustav.

They never even issued our M16's and I was in the pre-hurricane crew that went down to setup for possible debauchery. After the crap hit the fan I get an M16 with an empty 30 rounder and a Beretta 92 with an extra mag. Lets just say the POS Beretta was the only thing that came out of the weapon rack. No use in packing the M16 if all I could use it for was to put a buttstock in someone's head. I'd rather pistol whip their ass LOL.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I remember when, 35 years ago, I was a Corrections Officer in Ark., that when we were working an armed detail, we were only given 3 rounds, regardless of the weapon you were carrying. The thinking was that if you were jumped by the inmates and they took you're weapon they would only have 3 shots. I can understand that policy to some extent. That is the only time I had ever held an M-16 in my hands, wasn't even sure how to use it. We never had firearms training, however, my being a former police officer in Texas I was a good pistol and shotgun shooter. Anyway, never had an incident however there was an incident close to where I was assigned where 3 female inmates overpowered a guard, took his weapon, coomandered a vehicle, ran thru the main gate, fired a shot from the .38, hit the guard at the gate in the neck and excaped, briefly. Needless to say thery were captured very shortly and only had 2 rounds left in the gun (the 3 round rule).

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Who the hell had 28 rounds? I was given 3 rounds for katrina, and 30 for gustav.

A number of my better stocked friends ended up bringing ammo and magazines to guard and sheriff personel in Jefferson Parish. One fellow in Gretna handed out 2 cases of 5.56 and one of 9mm to a guard unit. Another two rode around Jefferson and handed out 5.56 mags and ammo and buckshot to JPs. (these two had an M-60 in their truck and an MP-5SD so they were ready for anything). All of these guys had some kind of badge so no one screwed with them (you know something like a "Friend of Harry Lee" badge).

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Dan I would love to make friends with your friends LOL. Both of those weapons are on the short list of guns that I do not own and wish I did. Ya'll need to come over for supper some time and bring the toys LOL. I addition I would like a GE M134 and a SAW M249.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    A number of my better stocked friends ended up bringing ammo and magazines to guard and sheriff personel in Jefferson Parish. One fellow in Gretna handed out 2 cases of 5.56 and one of 9mm to a guard unit. Another two rode around Jefferson and handed out 5.56 mags and ammo and buckshot to JPs. (these two had an M-60 in their truck and an MP-5SD so they were ready for anything). All of these guys had some kind of badge so no one screwed with them (you know something like a "Friend of Harry Lee" badge).

^ I got a buddy with one of those:D

Top Bottom