Are we going to see a hurricane in a couple days?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Any of yall ever been thru a hurricane?!
    Francine is sitting at 65 mph right now, spaghetti indicates Lafayette gonna get hit. Been thru Betsy (I was age 5), Katrina, Isaac, Ida, and a whole lotta less significant hurricanes/TSs that I don't really remember. We were living in Algiers on Cupid St for Betsy, water was lapping at our front door but not in the house. Katrina, Isaac, Ida, were all on August 29th. Katrina blew down my fence and took some shingles off. Isaac flooded my 1 year old Camry (total loss) and my house, 15" in the house. And removed some shingles again. I moved up to the attic after the water came in and watched the rain leaking thru. Sleeping on plywood decking even with a pillow sucked! This was in Laplace, lived there for 35 years. August 29th is a rememberance date every year now. The eye of Ida (2021) passed 20 miles to the west of me, blew my fence down in the back yard but no damage to the house. I just knew there would be some shingles gone when the sun came up next morn, but there was not. Lost power for a 9 full days, living off a 2300 watt portable Craftsman gen. I made it tho, now have 2 small port gens, added a Honda too. And now 7 five gallon jugs of gasoline for future storm prep. And like Kurt typed earlier, fill the tubs for toilet flushing, or washing up. That worked after Isaac for a while. The Isaac damage was miserable. Get rid of prob 50 or 60% of your stuff at the curb, and restoring the house. I was back in my house for Halloween 2012. Still had some plumbing to finish and a lot of cleaning. The neighborhood was empty, no kids period. I learned a lot from the experience. Moved north to Hammond in Nov 2014 and missed the Ida flooding of Laplace once again. Plenty friends and former co-workers in Laplace got flooded a 2nd time from Ida. Puck dat! They still building the protection levees for St John and St James parishes. Why Nick's range is closed during the week. Supposed to be completed/in service in 2026.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Havent been through one as a adult but did see a reporter on CNN hold onto a sign to keep from getting sucked up by the wind while 2 kids behind him played in the water and ate ice cream cones. Weird!

Still hearing conflicting weather reports.
    Ever notice how the news reporters find the flattest talking local to interview?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Ha

Attachments

• 458932240_10162227256803000_976265389115900995_n.jpg
      458932240_10162227256803000_976265389115900995_n.jpg
      138.3 KB · Views: 41

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Fradella just said on the tv he feels the track will move more east. These things always wobble in their track, but the live radar does show easterly movement, not north right now. Fradella is now targeting closer to Houma. The hurricane warnings have been extended to Grand Isle. Going to be a Cat 2 when it comes ashore, wherever that is. 100 mph winds. I sure hope they are wrong.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    166   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Any of yall ever been thru a hurricane?!
    I slept through Katrina and Gustav. I remember driving home 50 miles from Baton Rouge the morning of Katrina. I was the only vehicle on I-110 north. Drove to work in Andrew. Working in a hospital, they always want us to stay for days whether we are on the activation or the relief team. That goes for floods, freezes and pandemics too. It’s rarely about the storm for me, but always the aftermath.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Done. Went secured 80 gallons of gas to get me to work for the next month as well. Looks like I just beat the portable generator crowd.
    I topped off my gas jugs yesterday, and picked up extra food rations. I was done by 0900 yesterday.
    Picked up all the loose items in the yard this morning. Now charging all my temp lighting and phone.

Top Bottom