entering gun free zone to save lives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I agree with Teddy's assessment from the first page.

I'm not putting my ass on the line to save people I don't know from a threat that doesn't directly affect me. I'm not a superhero.

My first job is to take care of me, after that is accomplished if I can help others with compromising my job I may offer assistance. Putting myself in danger contradicts my job.

If everyone thought like this, the world would be an even shittier place.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. I'm sure you've heard that one.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    So in this hypothetical situation you are outside a school zone, hear shots fired, you run towards the shots fired (several hundred yards at least), see a bad guy, draw and shoot him dead before campus police arrive?

If you are that badass you shouldn't be afraid of prison or the courts.

it's not the CCW holders job to be a hero. Your job is to protect you and your family.

Suppose you are 50 feet away and it's an elementary school?

I am willing to bet that every person on this board with a CHP have violated a 1000' firearm free zone. You cannot believe how much territory is covered by them.

It is absolutely not possible. There is no where near 1000' between the front door and the street where you sit in your car or walk down the sidewalk at almost any public or private school or church in the Baton Rouge area.

Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Suppose you are 50 feet away and it's an elementary school?

It is absolutely not possible. There is no where near 1000' between the front door and the street where you sit in your car or walk down the sidewalk at almost any public or private school or church in the Baton Rouge area.

Well, I tried to stay out of this one..........LOL,
    But I assume that you are aware that in a vehicle ( with a firearm )you are not in violation of any La law, unless you might be a test case for the misdemeanor firearm on school property. To my knowledge no one has ever been charged with that one

(Since its covered under the constitutionaly protected activity exception )

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering

WindsorFox,

When I stated that I used to live within 1000' of an elementary school (for ten years) I wasn't guessing. Of course, I lived in Houma. Maybe "almost any" of the schools in Baton Rouge are over 1000' from the road but I doubt it.

The firearms free zone signs, that I have seen, aren't right next to the door - they are out by the street and they don't state that the law applies to the doors - but the grounds. The grounds are always adjacent to the street .

In my house, on my property, and in my car, I was probably safe from prosecution. BUT, when I'd go for a walk, bike ride, or hunting in the woods 300 yards away, I was not safe from prosecution.

From Wikipedia:
    In general, the GFSZ Act of 1990 added two paragraphs in a new subsection (q) to Section 922 of Title 18 of the U.S. Code:

(1) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    Exception: This does not include possession of a firearm on private property that is not part of school grounds or possession of a loaded firearm by an individual who is licensed to do so by the State. (i.e. a concealed carry, weapon, or firearm permit).

The term school zone means in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

Penalty

Whoever violates the Act shall be fined not more than $5,000, imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the term of imprisonment imposed under this paragraph shall not run concurrently with any other term of imprisonment imposed under any other provision of law.
    Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990"

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Not exactly what I had in mind.
    Neat photo, though.
    Not my business to do stuff like that. That looks like a gendarme dealing with a rioter; is it?

The pic looks a little Russian to me....:)

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    It's a win/win for the liberals if you go into a school to stop a shooting. They get a bad guy and an evil gun toter. Plus a statistic of a CHP holder committing a gun crime.

I won't give them the satisfaction unless it's my own kid. I just took a trip to New Orleans. I must have got within 1000ft of a school like 100 times.....

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's a win/win for the liberals if you go into a school to stop a shooting. They get a bad guy and an evil gun toter. Plus a statistic of a CHP holder committing a gun crime.

I won't give them the satisfaction unless it's my own kid. I just took a trip to New Orleans. I must have got within 1000ft of a school like 100 times.....

How would you feel if someone else won't give them the satisfaction with your kid?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'd get a lawyer and use my story to fight to get the law changed. And I'd be sad.

You'd be sad? I can only guess you don't have any kids... It was my experience after the birth of my first child that whatever, if any of a shred of the same mindset that you have now, left me in the delivery room. When you become a parent you magically understand. I would give my life for my kids and/or take the life of someone trying to harm them. The same goes for defending someone else's kid. I guess it's like a club once you're a parent.

I think that just as you can be guilty by association of certain crimes, you'd be guilty (in my mind anyway) of standing there and allowing it to happen, when fully capable of preventing it.

Last edited:

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    So you'd approve of someone not saving your child because the law says they can't?

In this particular scenario, yep.

If you can make up other scenarios - maybe not.

Here's an easy one: I've just picked up my kid from school and haven't pulled out onto the street yet. I see somebody get out of their car witha shotgun and point it at the kids getting on a bus. I'd try to stop him.

Here's a different one: I hear gunshots on the other side of the school. I'm not going to charge through the grounds with a gun, trying to figure out what's going on.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    I think that just as you can be guilty by association of certain crimes, you'd be guilty (in my mind anyway) of standing there and allowing it to happen, when fully capable of preventing it.

Maybe that's what it would take to get this stupid law changed.

But then again, we are talking hypotheticals here. I could just as easily go running on campus with a handgun and get blown away by two disgruntled guys with AR15's and shotguns.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In this particular scenario, yep.

If you can make up other scenarios - maybe not.

Here's an easy one: I've just picked up my kid from school and haven't pulled out onto the street yet. I see somebody get out of their car witha shotgun and point it at the kids getting on a bus. I'd try to stop him.

Here's a different one: I hear gunshots on the other side of the school. I'm not going to charge through the grounds with a gun, trying to figure out what's going on.

There's no difference in those situations. One you perceive with your eyes, the other with your ears.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    There's no difference in those situations. One you perceive with your eyes, the other with your ears.

Sure there is. You have no idea why shots are being fired across campus. It could be coming from private property on the other side. Maybe it's the police shooting people. Maybe it's not gunshots at all.

Bam - you're in a federal pen for at least whatever the minimum is...5 years?

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Maybe that's what it would take to get this stupid law changed.

But then again, we are talking hypotheticals here. I could just as easily go running on campus with a handgun and get blown away by two disgruntled guys with AR15's and shotguns.

So we should let people die in order to get a law changed? Why do you even want the law changed then? Those lives obviously aren't worth breaking the law to you.

Sure there is. You have no idea why shots are being fired across campus. It could be coming from private property on the other side. Maybe it's the police shooting people. Maybe it's not gunshots at all.

Bam - you're in a federal pen for at least whatever the minimum is...5 years?

Use a little common sense. Leave the gun in it's holster until you see a reason to draw it.

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    So we should let people die in order to get a law changed? Why do you even want the law changed then? Those lives obviously aren't worth breaking the law to you.

Use a little common sense. Leave the gun in it's holster until you see a reason to draw it.

How many lives will the law cost over the years?

What holster? I just grabbed the gun out of my truck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sollidus_
    Top Bottom