entering gun free zone to save lives

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Ive always thought that anybody who CC's should be given some type of a badge with your license number on it and name, NO it will not give you any power to arrest BG, and you wont be able to do traffic stops or any kind of crazy ideas like that, I will only be good to identify yourself to an LEO who is aproaching a situation like the one that it is being discused at this time, Just something that you can visually display so they know you probably not the BG or at least not in theory, eventhough procedure will be to disarm you and still put you on the ground and maybe even handcuff you until they know what is exactly going on. It's a similar idea to the LEO who is performing a traffic stop and looses control of the situation and you as an armed trained civilian jump in and help OR traffic stop with 5 ocupants inside the vehicle and backup is no wheres around the area LEO has his door open light shining at the suspects vehicle gun is drawn and he cannot procede until more units aproach in this case intimidation factor of another "armed" person could make the diference from this LEO succesfully being able to secure the situation or loosing control of it in a split second.

There are many times when as a trained armed citizen you would like to jump out of the vehicle and help not to be a hero but to help somebody who puts his life on the line every day to protect us, but how can you aproach this cases without making it any harder on the LEO is a hard question that I dont know how to answer.

4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Tulse luper--Ayoob talks about the competing harms doctrine in some of his gunfight analysis articles.

You have violated the school zone statute but in doing so saved a human life--the latter "outweighs" the former under the doctrine so--no harm done. However not all courts will recognize this principle--so in some jurisdictions (strongly liberal) the local system may try to nullify or prevent the use of this defense. Ayoob has mentioned this concept in his work more than once--look for past articles.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I don't see where addressing CC is necessary for this discussion.

I'm not trying to step on toes...I think it only complicates the issue unnecessarily.

If you are driving by in your car, CC isn't necessary.
    If you live nearby, CC isn't necessary.
    If you are hunting nearby, CC isn't necessary.

It may be an advantage to keep the gun concealed until you reach the active shooter but concealing the weapon up to that point is the least of your legal worries IMO.

If you get into a gunfight and someone wants to prosecute you for CC'ing up until the point when the gun was noticed, they are going to have to prove you had it concealed up until it was seen. How are they going to prove what they didn't see?

Last edited:

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Ive always thought that anybody who CC's should be given some type of a badge with your license number on it and name, NO it will not give you any power to arrest BG, and you wont be able to do traffic stops or any kind of crazy ideas like that, I will only be good to identify yourself to an LEO who is aproaching a situation like the one that it is being discused at this time, Just something that you can visually display so they know you probably not the BG or at least not in theory, eventhough procedure will be to disarm you and still put you on the ground and maybe even handcuff you until they know what is exactly going on. It's a similar idea to the LEO who is performing a traffic stop and looses control of the situation and you as an armed trained civilian jump in and help OR traffic stop with 5 ocupants inside the vehicle and backup is no wheres around the area LEO has his door open light shining at the suspects vehicle gun is drawn and he cannot procede until more units aproach in this case intimidation factor of another "armed" person could make the diference from this LEO succesfully being able to secure the situation or loosing control of it in a split second.

There are many times when as a trained armed citizen you would like to jump out of the vehicle and help not to be a hero but to help somebody who puts his life on the line every day to protect us, but how can you aproach this cases without making it any harder on the LEO is a hard question that I dont know how to answer.

The CC permit can be faked... A badge can be faked... etc...

No matter what you have or what you say, a WISE LEO will treat everyone on the scene that he doesn't know personally, especially armed ones, as threats untill he absolutely is convinced otherwise. The unwise LEO's won't be around very long.

I know it is a pain in the "brass" but that is reality. Think about it, you would do the same and so would I.

"No disrespect to anyone here in this active shooter event but I'm covering my brass!" says the wise LEO.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The CC permit can be faked... A badge can be faked... etc...

No matter what you have or what you say, a WISE LEO will treat everyone on the scene that he doesn't know personally, especially armed ones, as threats untill he absolutely is convinced otherwise. The unwise LEO's won't be around very long.

I know it is a pain in the "brass" but that is reality. Think about it, you would do the same and so would I.

"No disrespect to anyone here in this active shooter event but I'm covering my brass!" says the wise LEO.

I agree but what if that armed citizen could have saved your brass, then I believe its a diferent story and a diferent tune on the song, no disrespect either from a wise Armed Citizen :D

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Ya'll are thinking colleges... How about this instead.... You're dropping off (or worse, picking up) your 6 yr old at the grammar school, pulled up in the bus turnaround when you hear shots and screaming from inside. CCW isn't an issue b/c you are still in your vehicle. The minute you step out you're breaking the law though. Do you bring your gun to investigate?
    If the teachers are watching 'Blackhawk Down' (unlikely, but it could happen) on the big screen (or playing COD4 on the Prometheus Boards) without the kids you're screwed... you just broke the law and scared a bunch of teachers half to death. You'll be spending the night with Bubba until your lawyer can get you out on bond.
    If it is a real event, you'll be a hero, no charges will be filed but you'll be sued in civil court by the perps families as well as half a dozen kids liberal families for exposing them to a gun illegally...

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I am willing to bet that every person on this board with a CHP have violated a 1000' firearm free zone. You cannot believe how much territory is covered by them.

Soon, you will be asked to write your legislators, please do so.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I am willing to bet that every person on this board with a CHP have violated a 1000' firearm free zone. You cannot believe how much territory is covered by them.

+1 on that. I play around with a map one day. Wow is all I can say. I'm sure some even break the law when crossing the street to check their mailbox for mail.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie

That's the aspect that aggravates me the most. We'd need some sort of helmet mounted GPS heads-up-display to even begin to conform. Isn't there some bit of legal nomenclature that describes a law that is unreasonably difficult to abide by?

Second is how arbitrary the number 1000 is. Nice round number? Plenty of zeros? Good year for Gewurztraminers?

Third, this law/rule specifically does nothing but feed the audience that's lulled by security theater.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom