Flock cameras, FedEx, law enforcement, and mass surveillance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    166   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I never said that I believe cameras would/should be restricted to highways. All I was attempting to point out is that I have been seeing these cameras on streets other than state highways. So that leads me to believe that the cameras are not necessarily 100% state funded.
    My point was that I’ve never seen them in rural areas and if you’re seeing them that far out, they must be as I stated, for the purpose of observing thru traffic. Man I had no idea I’d cause such a derailment, but such is BS! LOL! I usually just move on when someone goes that far off track over some petty detail that had zero to do with my point. He’s just funning with you.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The cameras are not just in big cities. I've seen them on several small highways in rural St. Tammany and Tangipahoa parishes.

My question is: who is paying for these? I looked into the Flock business model last year when I noticed the cameras popping up more and more. If I remember right, the initial cost was around $2,500 for installation of a stand alone camera on a pole with the solar panel. Then there's a yearly fee. I've pushed my councilman several times to try to find out where the funding is coming from with no success.

I've seen these mainly on state highways and initially thought that it was being funded with state money. Then I started seeing some along parish streets in St. Tammany and Jefferson Parishes.

$2,000 per install for 500 cameras would be $1.25 million. I'm willing to bet there's more than 500 across the state.

I guess in the end, the answer to my question is that we, the tax payers, are paying for all this.
    My neighborhood got some, funded by our HOA's community benefit fund. $2500/camera x a few cameras really isn't a big deal in any large neighborhood, so long as there are limited entrances and exits.

You'd have to ask the accountants for the real cost. I do not know how many cameras are out there. Yes, it's worth it.

A couple of things to remember here. Almost all of the cameras are watching vehicle traffic on public roads. You do not have an expectation of privacy in public. When you agree to use your car on public roads, one condition of your agreement is to put a tag on your car that identifies your specific car. Very few of the cameras are equipped with license plate readers. Almost all of the cameras are responsive rather than proactive, meaning they will not announce you have passed a camera but if you put in a plate number it will tell you if the plate passed a location. The rest of the cameras need to be checked by hand.
    I don't think most of these are Flock cameras, though. My understanding is that most are just basic license plate readers that don't have the whole AI component to tag components of vehicles.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    One of the local commie millionaires put up these tag readers all over the parish and leases the cameras to the sheriff dept. whom pays for this ''service'' with tax payers money.
    We are paying to spy on ourselves boys, That's just how it works.

What is the sheriff doing with the information? And what information is the sheriff getting from the cameras?

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    My point was that I’ve never seen them in rural areas and if you’re seeing them that far out, they must be as I stated, for the purpose of observing thru traffic. Man I had no idea I’d cause such a derailment, but such is BS! LOL! I usually just move on when someone goes that far off track over some petty detail that had zero to do with my point. He’s just funning with you.
    Yeah, I'm over it.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Access to Flock cameras is paid for by yearly fee per camera. Our agency pays for 10 at sites we select, like major entry/exit paths to city limits. Flock owns, and is responsible for all maintenance and moving of, the cameras. Our agency shares access with several surrounding agencies, so if we search the whole group, we will get hits on their cameras as well. So if a car is stolen, one of our cameras may see it getting on the interstate leaving town, and later hits on other agency cameras may show it on the Westbank Expressway or Veteran's Blvd. The most frequent patrol use is when a stolen pops up and alerts, we can vector officers to the area to look for it and disseminate a real-time photo of the vehicle. Also, if someone gets a tag when a crime is committed, we can get an idea of where they're headed if they hit a camera leaving the area. It can also narrow down time frames if a car is reported stolen in the AM when the owner wakes up and hit a camera during the night. Someone with access could, at the most, get some general movement pattern determination based on hits at the major intersections/routes, but like I stated previously, a little bit of effort can avoid these cameras.

originalBoom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2024
    Alexandria

Listen to all the sheep, collaborators, and just ultra cool kids... You're all brilliant... "It has access controls"... Lololollol... Wake the hell up... But no, you won't... You'll go on thinking about how cool you are, and how enlightened you've become...

You deserve everything that is already on its way.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Listen to all the sheep, collaborators, and just ultra cool kids... You're all brilliant... "It has access controls"... Lololollol... Wake the hell up... But no, you won't... You'll go on thinking about how cool you are, and how enlightened you've become...

One hell of a first post here

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell

Not sure I follow, are you saying that the cameras are a good thing, or bad?

All digital info in the country is stored, make no mistake about that. we have snowden to thank for that bit of info. I do not know how good the computers are, or how far AI has been advanced, but you can sure believe that there is a section of the population that is being paid very well to make these advances, and get the data properly catalogued and searchable.

Being able to dig into the mind of Joe Q Public is desirable, for anyone looking to make or break the country. Being able to predict the future actions of people is a thing that is going to be investigated and likely figured out. I'm not going as far as "minority report", but anyone would be remiss to think that the powers that be are not intent on working up a file on each and every person in this country. What that will be used for is anyone's guess, but more info means more power and control.

originalBoom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2024
    Alexandria
    Not sure I follow, are you saying that the cameras are a good thing, or bad?

All digital info in the country is stored, make no mistake about that. we have snowden to thank for that bit of info. I do not know how good the computers are, or how far AI has been advanced, but you can sure believe that there is a section of the population that is being paid very well to make these advances, and get the data properly catalogued and searchable.

Being able to dig into the mind of Joe Q Public is desirable, for anyone looking to make or break the country. Being able to predict the future actions of people is a thing that is going to be investigated and likely figured out. I'm not going as far as "minority report", but anyone would be remiss to think that the powers that be are not intent on working up a file on each and every person in this country. What that will be used for is anyone's guess, but more info means more power and control.
    I am absolutely against it.. it's a horrible idea.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

Same goes for "security"...

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I am absolutely against it.. it's a horrible idea.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

Same goes for "security"...
    Typed and posted from your personal tracking device :mamoru:

originalBoom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2024
    Alexandria
    Typed and posted from your personal tracking device :mamoru:
    Well we do the best that we can do.... A large part of life, as an adult; is to try to mitigate what we can... This is one step closer. It's amazing to me that the cool kids try to rationalize it anyway they can.

I can simply turn my phone off, or leave it at home...or not use it... Don't act like this is the same thing.

originalBoom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2024
    Alexandria
    What liberties are you giving up by driving?
    It's a very old saying, first quoted by Benjamin Franklin... This is why I added the part at the bottom, that the same goes for security... I don't know if you know that or not.

There's absolutely no way that anyone can logically defend this... "Well. What about your phone"... Yes, absolutely; these phones ARE a detriment.. but they have become almost indispensable... Buuut, you can still go without them...and you are somewhat in control of them...

And as far as the phone argument... If they are such great tracking devices, then why do we even need this new surveillance?

You all don't seem to understand incrementalism...

You know, so much has happened; and has eaten into our privacies...under the guise of "public safety".... Do you know whom it was that first started the whole "public safety " thing?..
    Or at least the invasive movement thereof.....? Hitler. Think about that for a second..

Now, I don't know what kind of generational American you are...or if you even are an American... But ask yourself the question: How do you think this would be viewed by the Founding Fathers?

How can many of you purport to be conservatives, and support ideas that are not conservative in nature? I do understand that many of you may not be conservatives....This is now just one more facet of the beast.

I've long been under the impression that a lot of the Hollywood movies are made to get the populace ready for things, or to get us "used to" certain ideas...Orrrr, to condition us, or rewire us... Remember the movie 'Eagle Eye'? Don't laugh. It's not that far of...

As I said in another response..., a large part of adulthood is mitigating what can happen, mitigating the damage of what has, and coping with what we can not mitigate. So, we do the best we can. Yes, we have to have a computer (or phone), no we don't need to put ALL our business on Facebook. Yes, we need laws. NO, we don't need over-regulation; nor do we need the proverbial police state (which we do have). Yes, we have to be able to travel... No, we don't have to be surveilled when we do so... But apparently, we are.

"Everything is made in china", our number one enemy... Yet, all the cool the kids say, "I don't care where it's made...., I just want it to work" Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Well let me tell you, my daughter isn't brushing her teeth with a toothbrush made in china... But rather, Switzerland. Why? Because I took an extra 15 sec., and found a toothbrush that wasn't made by our enemy. Her clothes aren't made in china, my scopes aren't made in china..., my tools are made anywhere other than china .... Does my vehicle have some chips that originated from china? I'm sure. But.... What? We do the best we can...

.....my commitment not to buy things from people that hate us, and that are actively vieing for our dominate spot... . .. Is this going to make much of a difference? I don't know, probably not...but at least I'm paying as little as possible to arm the greatest foreign threat we've known... That's called MITIGATION.

Our government, both national & local is FARRRR from what the founders intended. And thankfully, I juuust barely have enough emotional intelligence to be able to see the VERY slippery slope we're on. I see that one thing leads to the next.

And people always cry about it, once it's too late... Just like all the people that "voted" for Biden...(Or obama) How could they have thought that was a good idea...? Yet, they did. And now .... ? ....It's all relative.... Just like all the geniuses that will quickly vote for Kamala... Yeah, like that's a good idea. But, you won't be able to convince them of that, either... Even after all the damage that will most certainly occur... Even after the drastic changes of the last four years.... Even that's not enough to convince them... Why? Because convincing the people that they've been deceived, is harder than it was to deceive them in the first place.

A Man will walk right straight into hell, both eyes wide open...but not even the devil can fool a dog.

....... Now, if we were only as smart as our best friends.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's a very old saying, first quoted by Benjamin Franklin... This is why I added the part at the bottom, that the same goes for security... I don't know if you know that or not.

There's absolutely no way that anyone can logically defend this... "Well. What about your phone"... Yes, absolutely; these phones ARE a detriment.. but they have become almost indispensable... Buuut, you can still go without them...and you are somewhat in control of them...

And as far as the phone argument... If they are such great tracking devices, then why do we even need this new surveillance?

You all don't seem to understand incrementalism...

You know, so much has happened; and has eaten into our privacies...under the guise of "public safety".... Do you know whom it was that first started the whole "public safety " thing?..
    Or at least the invasive movement thereof.....? Hitler. Think about that for a second..

Now, I don't know what kind of generational American you are...or if you even are an American... But ask yourself the question: How do you think this would be viewed by the Founding Fathers?

How can many of you purport to be conservatives, and support ideas that are not conservative in nature? I do understand that many of you may not be conservatives....This is now just one more facet of the beast.

I've long been under the impression that a lot of the Hollywood movies are made to get the populace ready for things, or to get us "used to" certain ideas...Orrrr, to condition us, or rewire us... Remember the movie 'Eagle Eye'? Don't laugh. It's not that far of...

As I said in another response..., a large part of adulthood is mitigating what can happen, mitigating the damage of what has, and coping with what we can not mitigate. So, we do the best we can. Yes, we have to have a computer (or phone), no we don't need to put ALL our business on Facebook. Yes, we need laws. NO, we don't need over-regulation; nor do we need the proverbial police state (which we do have). Yes, we have to be able to travel... No, we don't have to be surveilled when we do so... But apparently, we are.

"Everything is made in china", our number one enemy... Yet, all the cool the kids say, "I don't care where it's made...., I just want it to work" Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Well let me tell you, my daughter isn't brushing her teeth with a toothbrush made in china... But rather, Switzerland. Why? Because I took an extra 15 sec., and found a toothbrush that wasn't made by our enemy. Her clothes aren't made in china, my scopes aren't made in china..., my tools are made anywhere other than china .... Does my vehicle have some chips that originated from china? I'm sure. But.... What? We do the best we can...

.....my commitment not to buy things from people that hate us, and that are actively vieing for our dominate spot... . .. Is this going to make much of a difference? I don't know, probably not...but at least I'm paying as little as possible to arm the greatest foreign threat we've known... That's called MITIGATION.

Our government, both national & local is FARRRR from what the founders intended. And thankfully, I juuust barely have enough emotional intelligence to be able to see the VERY slippery slope we're on. I see that one thing leads to the next.

And people always cry about it, once it's too late... Just like all the people that "voted" for Biden...(Or obama) How could they have thought that was a good idea...? Yet, they did. And now .... ? ....It's all relative.... Just like all the geniuses that will quickly vote for Kamala... Yeah, like that's a good idea. But, you won't be able to convince them of that, either... Even after all the damage that will most certainly occur... Even after the drastic changes of the last four years.... Even that's not enough to convince them... Why? Because convincing the people that they've been deceived, is harder than it was to deceive them in the first place.

A Man will walk right straight into hell, both eyes wide open...but not even the devil can fool a dog.

....... Now, if we were only as smart as our best friends.

I have to be completely honest. I did not read your reply. I only skimmed through it. Even then I didn't see where you listed the liberties you are giving up by driving.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tucck
    Top Bottom