Frozen EVs in Chicago.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    also for those interested in EV, but don't want to go full retard. Maybe look into a hybrid. The CEO of Toyota announced that EV's aren't the future, and that the resources are better used to make more hybrids, as EV's infrastructure isn't there yet to mandate everyone use it, but there's a limited amount of raw materials we can produce to make the batteries, and for the amount used in 1 EV you can make dozens of hybrids. My main car has a 6.2 liter v8 and I love it, but at 15-17mpg it can get pricey on the long commutes a couple times a month. I have a hybrid for those trips that can get 55mpg in the city, takes 20 bucks of regular gas to fill up, and is boringly reliable.

toyota on EV's

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    You realize you went from a valid contributor, to a clown who makes things up and now is just blurting out childish rants ? Maybe just take a breath and chill for a bit and look less uneducated ?
    Maybe you just made a personal attack on my contribution's in the humor section and perhaps you've crossed the line in the code of conduct.
    But I'm not going to report your post because some of us do have a sense of humor. Carry on.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    In the signature, you have a quote from John Maxwell Edmonds. The quote is
    "When you go home, tell them of us and say, For your tomorrow, we gave our today."
    A pronoun like "our" does not use an apostrophe to show possession. The correct spelling is "ours." And that is used in place of a noun. When used before a noun to indicate possession, as it is used in the actual quote, the correct word is "our" without the "s."
    Are we having a Sheldon moment?
    You know me well enough as to how much I care or not?

Bolt Head

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2023
    Alexandria
    Elon talks about this in one of his Joe Rogan interviews and the gist of it is that there isn't enough surface area on the car to really make a difference.
    IMO there are enough moving parts to install a part, like an alternator (we all have them), to charge batteries while the vehicle is moving. That debate isn't new to me but I am relatively certain we already have the technology, but it may need to be refined to make it work.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I've never written a ticket for an internal combustion engine going 5900 over the speed limit.
    I haven't either! What does that prove???
    I don't know what Austin meant by his post. He may have fat fingered it or something. I'm just pointing out that 500 miles in 5 seconds is 100 miles a second, or 6000 miles per hour (mach 8 or so). That is somewhere between the Concorde and the Space Shuttle. That means Jacksonville to Los Angeles in under half an hour. I do wish he would edit his post, or elaborate what he meant. While the SR-71 is doing Mach 3 it's titanium skin is 1400 degrees F or so, while, the outside temp is around -50. What automobile could withstand that? Tire? Glass? Bearing? And, do it "over super long distances, frequently?"

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    IMO there are enough moving parts to install a part, like an alternator (we all have them), to charge batteries while the vehicle is moving. That debate isn't new to me but I am relatively certain we already have the technology, but it may need to be refined to make it work.
    Tesla and all of the major EVs already already way ahead of you. Whenever you take your foot off of the "gas" pedal, the vehicle uses regenerative braking technology to slow the vehicle down and to charge the batteries. In practice, you almost never apply brakes while driving an EV. Not kidding - you could go weeks without touching the brake pedal.

I haven't either! What does that prove???
    I don't know what Austin meant by his post. He may have fat fingered it or something. I'm just pointing out that 500 miles in 5 seconds is 100 miles a second, or 6000 miles per hour (mach 8 or so). That is somewhere between the Concorde and the Space Shuttle. That means Jacksonville to Los Angeles in under half an hour. I do wish he would edit his post, or elaborate what he meant. While the SR-71 is doing Mach 3 it's titanium skin is 1400 degrees F or so, while, the outside temp is around -50. What automobile could withstand that? Tire? Glass? Bearing? And, do it "over super long distances, frequently?"
    Quoted my post below.

I guess I should have said "Get 500 miles of equivalent battery charge in 5 minutes."

What I mean is that a big selling point for gas powered vehicles is that you can refill the tank in under 5 minutes and in many vehicles the gas tank holds enough gas to get you 500 miles. EVs take longer to "fill up," but my point is that for most people it doesn't matter because you wake up every day with a full battery.

The need to get 500 miles in 5 minutes really isn't something that most people need unless they're driving super long distances frequently.

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Why not just make the roof, hood, and trunk a solar panel? Maybe even a hand crank or bicycle pedals to crank out some emergency power? A ram air turbine rising out of the hood would be really cool too!
    There was a car built in Denmark that had a solar roof, the Fisker Karma , a luxury plug-in hybrid. The Problem was the roof is curved while almost all solar panels are flat, for a reason. The panels need to be pointed at a specific angle to the sun to get the 19% efficiency. Having a complex curved roof means very little area is at the optimum angle for energy production.
    Someone told Jay Leno it was so cool his car could recharge itself just sitting in the sun. Leno’s reply was that solar panel can’t even run the fan. It looks good but pretty much useless.
    The Karma had another Huge Flaw. They would Catch of fire parked or driving. You know your a horrible person if your Karma just burst into flames.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    There was a car built in Denmark that had a solar roof, the Fisker Karma , a luxury plug-in hybrid. The Problem was the roof is curved while almost all solar panels are flat, for a reason. The panels need to be pointed at a specific angle to the sun to get the 19% efficiency. Having a complex curved roof means very little area is at the optimum angle for energy production.
    Someone told Jay Leno it was so cool his car could recharge itself just sitting in the sun. Leno’s reply was that solar panel can’t even run the fan. It looks good but pretty much useless.
    The Karma had another Huge Flaw. They would Catch of fire parked or driving. You know your a horrible person if your Karma just burst into flames.
    Ghost Rider? I was actually thinking about panels and a golf cart, But then again my neighbor has one.
    Offroad its one big kraut because of its weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom