Garand/Vintage military rifle match on Oct 31 at Palo Alto in Donaldsonville

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    This isn't a CMP match, right? So no notarized crap needed? I may have to knock the dust off of the Kar98k.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Cool we get to bring strippers, well thats what Dan said. I ain't skeered, i am going to clean and make sure the gun works this weekend. Besides i have Dan as my personal coach so there.lol.

You bring strippers and THEY will have a personal coach. :D

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    The vintage match i shot at honey island on 4july08 required me to get all kind of waivers notarized. don't remember specifics or where i even got the copies. just know they had to be notarized since i did them the same time i did my ccw app.

CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    I'd shoot my M1 carbine at 100 yards without 2nd thought, but have never tried 200 yards with it, especially in competition...probably a match I should pass on.

Have found light weight a detriment when shooting offhand--I'm much, much better with my AR15 offhand because the extra weight is more stable. Somehow I don't think I'll be able to sell you guys on the AR15 M4 being a vintage rifle!!!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    The vintage match i shot at honey island on 4july08 required me to get all kind of waivers notarized. don't remember specifics or where i even got the copies. just know they had to be notarized since i did them the same time i did my ccw app.

The club keeps them and you only have to do one. Once you have one on file, you are good to go for life.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I'd shoot my M1 carbine at 100 yards without 2nd thought, but have never tried 200 yards with it, especially in competition...probably a match I should pass on.

Have found light weight a detriment when shooting offhand--I'm much, much better with my AR15 offhand because the extra weight is more stable. Somehow I don't think I'll be able to sell you guys on the AR15 M4 being a vintage rifle!!!

Email me. I may be able to arrange an M1 for you. The match director sometimes has loaners. The carbine is shootable in the match, but it would not likely a match winner.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Same deal this upcoming muggy-ass week-end; its for my grandson. He is fascinated with the M1, hence taking him to the clinic. Ditto the match.

Oh, I'm sure I'll enjoy myself to a degree, despite the miserable weather conditions. But he is the reason I'm going to both events. And who knows... the match weather might be very pleasant.

But tomorrow isn't looking good at all...

I never did ask how old your grandson is. Also, what is his coat size? I have some junior loaner jackets if he happens to be the right size. Right or left handed? Which is his dominant eye?

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I never did ask how old your grandson is. Also, what is his coat size? I have some junior loaner jackets if he happens to be the right size. Right or left handed? Which is his dominant eye?

Are we supposed to use jackets? I do not have one of those. I did get a sling from Skywlkr.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Are we supposed to use jackets? I do not have one of those. I did get a sling from Skywlkr.

Some will have them, some will not. I do suggest that you wear at least a heavy sweatshirt or some kind of field jacket so that you don't get damaged by the sling or mat. A glove for your non-trigger hand is also nice to protect the back of it from the sling.

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    Doug, the jacket and loop sling are tremendous shooting aids... if you plan to shoot a lot of competition. The jacket is worse than useless for anything else.

With a lot of practice, you can learn to loop up fairly quickly. But if you have to move in a hurry while looped up, it seriously restricts your ability/mobility, seeing as you have a nine pound rifle attached to your upper left arm.

IOW, the loop sling is fine for shooting from a static position. If you're concerned about getting the best possible score, then you need these two items.

If you concerns are more, shall we say, tactically oriented, then the cotton standard sling used as a hasty sling for support is the way to go.

Just my opinion, of course...

I think it is said
    Spot On

Lets just go and shoot and have a good time. I hope I hit the target before I run out of rounds prior to the match! JK I hope!! LSP - you are shooting too right!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    OK guys, the state championships are over and it is time to concentrate on fun shooting. These vintage matches are great fun. They give you a chance to meet like minded people and a reason to drag the old war clubs out of the closet or the back of the safe. The target is big and the range is short. Most of the shooting is done from your belly. What could be easier? Gather up your rifles and 35 rounds of ammo (I would bring more in case we stick around and shoot a "side match".) and show up at Palo Alto on October 31st around 7:45 a.m. Bring friends. There is safety in numbers. :D

If you are thinking about going or just have questions, post here or PM me.

Hope to see you there.

Dan

PS Ball ammo is the appropriate fodder. If you don't have any for your rifle, let me know and I will try to figure something out.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom