Garand/Vintage military rifle match on Oct 31 at Palo Alto in Donaldsonville

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Ye old HRA did well enough.

I had a blooming blast out there. For all those that are on the fence about these rifle matches:

Show up and proclaim you are a NEW SHOOTER! Wear it proud. Dan coached two juniors and George had me. And thanks to him for arranging this. You can get as much help as you want or as little.

Just post in the match threads if you don't have a rifle. I'm 99.9999% sure that can be handled. I'll even break down and deflower my bell-of-the-ball M1 if someone wants to use the other Field Grade.

Guys,

Was it fun? Do we take anything seriously other than safety? Does anyone know who won? Does anyone care?

It is all about having a good time. Come out and play.

Dan

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Took my M1 apart and cleaned thoroughly (probably the first time in 40 years). I'll be ready for the next one.

Y'all certainly looked like you were having fun.

Last edited:

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    The barrel wasn't too dirty. My F-n-L said he had not shot it much. I don't have any other way to check the bore except visually.

I didn't know to do the gas cylinder. I'll do that tomorrow. I also did not break the the trigger assembly completely down, but did do a lot of work on it with Q-tips.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Did you remove the gas plug and take the cylinder foo of the barrel? You can clean the inside of the cylinder with a .45 brush. Also, M1s run on grease. Put some grase everywhere that there is a rub mark from metal on metal contact.

Dan

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I only took apart those parts I was sure how to put back together. I have to get an exploded view on how to take the rest of the wood off the front and work on the front. I dd take everything apart in the receiver area and clean and oil. Any particular grease you recommend?

The upper shot very tight. All 10 rounds inside <1 inch at 100. I think Ill do tighter when I put the "real" sights on it. However, the bolt did not always stay open after single shots. I broke it down again and cleaned and oiled. I'll be out there again this Thursday. I also used by tripod today since I don't have a front handguard yet. It comes in Tuesday.

I got the information and will be ordering the parts I need and a book on the Garand on Monday.

Last edited:

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    I knew I was screwed when my first sighting shot was an X. It was my best shot of the day. The rapid fire was challenging and fun with the P14 but I made with time to spare.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Took the gas cylinder off and it was very dirty. Also removed the front handguard and cleaned everything. Lubricated and everything back together. Greased every moving part I could determine. It's amazing how much smoothly everything now cycles. It had been kinda slow closing the bolt, but now it snaps closed with no hesitation. As I said before, my F-in-L bought it in '62 and this is probably the first real cleaning it's had. There appeared t be some old dried cosmoline in the trigger assembly area. I'm gonna pick up some ball ammo this week and shoot it this Thursday. Any other advice?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    its pretty tight it is just full of cosmo line.. I need to work on it some after I am done with my Calc II class.

When you close the trigger guard, where does it stop before you start to get resistance? You should have to push the trigger guard down the last 3/4" or so.

Top Bottom