Garand/Vintage military rifle match on Oct 31 at Palo Alto in Donaldsonville

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    only issue is that it is halloween day, and my wife is a halloween person... but I might be able to...

Dan may be to give you a better idea, but I thought this would be a morning event and you should be home for lunch or shortly there after (since you live around the corner from Palo Alto :D).
    The time change does not happen until the night of the 31st. Big night for the twins!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    We should be finished with the match by noon (maybe earlier). It is only 35 rounds and it usually runs in 2 relays without pit changes during the shooting phase (once you are on the line, you fire the entire match before having to remove your equipment). Timing wise per relay, you get a 3 minute prep period and 15 minutes to fire 5 sighters and 10 shots for record from prone. Then a 3 minute prep period and 70 seconds for your 10 shots prone rapid fire. Then a 3 minute prep period and 10 minutes to fire 10 shots offhand. Theoretically, 45 minutes to an hour per relay plus a 15 - 20 minute pit change. Depending on when the first round goes down range (8:30 - 9:00), we should finish the match between 11:00 and 12:00. Any additional shooting would be after the match.

This is not an 80 shot across the course match that starts at 8:30 and ends around 3:00.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    What is this requirement for something notarized?

CMP requires a notarized affidavit for participation in CMP sponsored events. See http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Affidavit.pdf I am nearly certain that this event is not CMP sponsored although it will be conducted pursuant to CMP rules. When we have done a CMP event requiring an affidavit, I usually have a pile of them and I am available to notarize them on the spot. It is no big deal.

Dan

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    PS Ball ammo is the appropriate fodder. If you don't have any for your rifle, let me know and I will try to figure something out.

What qualifies for Ball ammo? I have a type 38 Arisaka that I would like to shoot but actual mil-surp is difficult to find and expensive. But there's modern factory ammo that's close to mil-spec.. Would that qualify?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    What qualifies for Ball ammo? I have a type 38 Arisaka that I would like to shoot but actual mil-surp is difficult to find and expensive. But there's modern factory ammo that's close to mil-spec.. Would that qualify?

If you don't have ball, shoot what you have. Typically, the rules only address .30-06 because that is what CMP has plenty of. I shoot ball ammo out of my K31 (because it is better than US match grade ammo) and my Swede because it is what I have. The rules are pretty loose in our group. I am sure they would frown on me bringing my NM .308 M1 and my match handloads, but I could still shoot it for fun. :D An Arisaka would be different and pretty cool, bring it. I haven't decide what I am going to shoot - M1, K31, M96, trapdoor springfield - so many choices.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    It does if that is what you are shooting. If you are shooting 8mm you get a discounted match fee and you need to bring your own ammo.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    If I shoot, it will be my new M1 (it will be in Wednesday) or an old one or a K31 or m96 or m38, but in no case will it be a 1903 or 03A3.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    REMINDER

M1 Garand/Vintage military rifle match. Saturday October 31st. Registration at 7:45 am. Directions to Palo Alto can be found here: http://www.paloaltogunclub.com/directions.htm

35 shots @ 200 yards from prone and standing positions. Bolt guns do not forget to bring a couple of stripper clips for rapid fire.

Palo Alto club members pay $12 with ammo/$5 without. Non-Palo Alto members pay $15 with ammo/$9 without.

Email George at ghserrett@netzero.net if you want to double check or have any additional questions.

Let me know if you need any gear.

Dan

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    We will be having a Garand/Vintage military rifle match on Oct 31 at the Palo Alto club in Donaldsonville. It will be a 30 round match. Ten rounds slow prone; ten rounds rapid prone; and ten rounds offhand with five sighters before the start. Members of Palo Alto pay $12 with ammo and $4 without ammo. Those who are not members of PA pay $15 with ammo and $7 without. The match will be at 200 yds.

dzelenka@couhigpartners.com for more info.

Dan,
    what happened to the first match at the beginning of the thread? Now it is 35 shots and different positions?

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Dan,
    what happened to the first match at the beginning of the thread? Now it is 35 shots and different positions?

From the first post: "It will be a 30 round match. Ten rounds slow prone; ten rounds rapid prone; and ten rounds offhand with five sighters before the start."

Same match, different phraseology.

Dan

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    We should be finished with the match by noon (maybe earlier). It is only 35 rounds and it usually runs in 2 relays without pit changes during the shooting phase (once you are on the line, you fire the entire match before having to remove your equipment). Timing wise per relay, you get a 3 minute prep period and 15 minutes to fire 5 sighters and 10 shots for record from prone. Then a 3 minute prep period and 70 seconds for your 10 shots prone rapid fire. Then a 3 minute prep period and 10 minutes to fire 10 shots offhand. Theoretically, 45 minutes to an hour per relay plus a 15 - 20 minute pit change. Depending on when the first round goes down range (8:30 - 9:00), we should finish the match between 11:00 and 12:00. Any additional shooting would be after the match.

This is not an 80 shot across the course match that starts at 8:30 and ends around 3:00.

Dan

This is the same course of fire we shot at the Garand Clinic.

Top Bottom