La OCer Arrested for filming cops and Open Carry, Legal Fund set up to help.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • luv1979

Genesis 27:3
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I think the "Moron" is the person who is chasing cops around video taping them while open carrying. I mean come on man! How does this help the cause?

Want to open carry? Fine, more power to ya! Be polite. Be an ambassador and be an educator! This guy is purposely baiting LEO with a camera while he is open carrying. He is in it for himself and does the rest of us no good. This is not improving relations, this is taking it in the other direction ON PURPOSE.

Very well stated! Couldn't agree with you more!

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    No.

That's the /assumption/ but not a proper conclusion unless there is documented and experienced tests providing evidence that they, off camera, would behave otherwise.

My experience with Monroe PD is that they love guns, think people should own guns, though I've not met EVERY officer by a long shot.

I doubt motor51 agrees with that point.

I don't know man, I've heard he open carries every day.

I've even witnessed him doing so....

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Steve did you take down/move to a private section the original thread from your site?

And Steve we aren't hostile to open carriers as a whole, we are hostile to you. That has come as a direct result of your childish actions. You are not a martyr, you are not a victim, quit misrepresenting the truth.

Thanks Skidmark. My funds are waiting to go too.
    We are waiting to hear from the OP and get more info and see if we need to remove some information from the sites where it's been posted.
    It is nice to get support from someone after the harrassment and troll attacks we see on some other forums. Our States' most popular gun forum is outright hostile to us. Sad to see how fractured things are in the gun community.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...r-Arrested-Needs-Help-and-Donations&p=1932952

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    The Open Carrier who was arrested in this case has decided to remove the details of this event until after he has had a chance to consult further with his lawyer.
    Thanks for your assistance and stay tuned for further developments.

Louisiana OCer Arrested, Needs Help and Donations

Fellow Open Carriers, a young man was arrested in Monroe, La and jailed after a LEO witnessed him filming an incident with his cellphone and open carrying.
    the original discussion can be found in the La Open Carry Awareness League discussion forum at

weblink edited out by Vermiform
    See below.

Here is his description of what occured as posted in that thread....

Back in February I was coming home from Monroe, OCing my sidearm. While driving through North Monroe I stopped at a local business that deals in retail sales; this business has merchandise and equipment outside. While standing there in the parking lot next to my vehicle, massive police activity began occurring on the hwy. Police began swarming the area from all directions and there were several officers standing out in the road partaking in what appeared to be a search of a vehicle. This was occurring right in front of me in the hwy. I took out my camera and began filming all this activity. I was in no way interfering with any police activity, I was minding my own business and was at least several hundred feet away from the officers when one of the troopers spotted me and began to proceed towards me on foot. He started from the opposite side of the hwy, crossed the shoulder and both driving lanes and proceeded all the way across the parking lot to where I was. As he approached closer to me he was telling me to turn off the camera, I just said "Hi, how are you doing?" When he got about 20 ft from me he spotted my firearm holstered on my side and he stopped and began asking "what are you doing" while demanding me to stop filming, and "what is that on your side" I told him that it was my firearm. He immediately began demanding me for my "permit" for my gun. I told him I have no permit as there is no permit to be had. He insisted that i must have a permit to carry a gun while demanding that I stop filming. By this time he had walked right up on me and was right in my face with my camera between us. I politely told him that he was in open public view and there was no reason that I have to stop filming. He then moved behind me while again asking for my papers for the gun. I explained to him that the firearm was being carried clearly in the open and that there was no permit or papers to be had. He clearly did not know the law. He kept demanding my permit and demanding for me to turn off the camera, I asked why do I have to turn the camera off, there is no law against filming a public servant performing his duties in public view. He said I had to turn it off Because he Said so. I declined. He then began demanding my ID, I proceeded by asking why he wanted my ID? I wasnt operating a motor vehicle, I said. He grabbed my by my arm and slammed me against the hood of the vehicle. He said that's it, You cant carry a damn gun without a permit. I was arrested. They seized my camera and my gun. I know La. carry laws and I was in no way carrying illegally or breaking any other laws for that matter. After sitting in the car for almost an hour I was informed that they called the owner of the business and they were arresting me for trespassing. Yea really. After being transported to the jail they levied charges of trespassing, illegal carry of a firearm, and interference w state police. A detective even interrogated me at the jail for fear that I could've been a "domestic terrorist," all because I was carrying a holstered firearm! I was jailed for 4 days. I am an upstanding citizen, a college student and have no criminal record, never been in any trouble. After being jailed for 3 days the judge demanded the trooper rewrite the affidavit because "he didnt understand why I was arrested in the first place, he didnt see any law I had broken." The trooper did rewrite the affidavit after the 3rd day. He added a 2nd page to the affidavit stating that he approached me and saw an "imprint" of a firearm through my shirt and asked me for my permit which i didnt produce so he arrested me for concealing a handgun under my shirt without a CCW, which is a complete lie. I just wanted to share my story, you people in the Monroe area beware!

*EDIT*
    Upon recommendations of other users I have set up a PayPal donations account for anyone that would like to make a donation to help pay for my legal fund. So far It has cost me $1000 in bond money and $2500 in legal fees and I haven't even been to trial yet. It will likely cost more if it goes to a higher court or has to be appealed. I'm a full time nursing student and I dont have a regular job. I've had to beg for and borrow money, I'm down to selling a couple of firearms now that were passed down to me from my grandfather after he passed. Anything that is given would be greatly appreciated, please use the link below. Thanks and God bless.
    and
    Ok, I have hired a criminal attorney. I have only had arraignment hearing where i plead not guilty. My court date is coming up soon. I have not recovered any of my property, only what was in my pockets like my wallet and stuff, not my firearm or camera. No witnesses other than the video footage which is in their possession. My attorney doesnt want me talking to anyone, i mean for instance talking to the owner of the business to see if he would drop the charges. Therefore I'm not comfortable releasing the name of the arresting officer. Trying to play it safe. I will say that at the 72 hr hearing the judge set my bond at $2700, (i double checked and asked the judge a 2nd time, he confirmed $2700) which you must pay 12% or 14% of that to bond, it should have cost me like $300. Well when the bondsman tried to post the bond it had mysteriously been changed to over $9000 so it cost me $1000 to bond plus my attorney fees @ $2500. I'm struggling
    and
    I do have PayPal set up. I've never considered accepting donations frankly because I wouldnt think anyone would donate. I would definitely appreciate it if someone did donate. I am a full time nursing student and am poor so $5000 is a lot of money to me. It turns out that because of the (I think?) 11th amendment you cannot file suit against the state for damages. You can only suit the trooper personally in small claims court in which there is a small amount set as a limit for which you can ask that nowhere near covers the costs that this is turning out to be just to stand up for my Constitutional Rights. My attorney is Steven Hanson. No news agency has covered it as far as i know, I havent told anyone about it, only my attorney. I was afraid to with the way the police treated me. The affidavit was online for a few days but it was taken down supposedly because it was un legible and embarrassing to the State Police. I dont know if my attorney is well versed in OC. He's been practicing a long time and supposedly does a good job.
    The paypal account is at
    weblink edited out by Vermiform
    See below.

This isn't the first time the Monroe PD has stopped him for filming and open carrying. In fact, there is a Youtube video which was posted by Redeye at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvVulmXQKr4 showing how, after filming the response to a motor vehicle wreck and leaving the OCer was pulled over by police and questioned about filming and Open Carrying.

Please go to the forum if you have any advice or can help in any way. Donate to help with his legal fund. We stand together or we fall apart.

Thanks,

Steve Raacke,
    La Open Carry Awareness League

Weblinks edited out by vermiform to protect Bayoushooter members. This poster (sraacke) was temp banned in the past for childish behavior and it is my opinion that he or his organization cannot be trusted. I will not subject our community to a possible paypal scam. Open carry is legal in Louisiana and I respect those that do so responsibly. If you are looking for a valid website for Open Carry, I would suggest
    http://www.opencarry.org/.

-Verm

Last edited by a moderator:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    We are not openly hostile to OC'ers.

Many of us think its a dumb idea and have given many legitimate reasons why.

What we are openly hostile to is people going out and acting like an ******* and then begging for money from everyone else to get them out of a bind they put themselves in.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington

What we are openly hostile to is people going out and acting like an ******* and then begging for money from everyone else to get them out of a bind they put themselves in.

I'm openly hostile to people talking **** on other forums and lying to gain attention. If I was a member of LOCAL I would be requesting new leadership, as it is painfully obvious Yale is not professional, honest, moral, or a good face for any cause, especially open carrying.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

il_fullxfull.303681086.jpg

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA

:bravo:

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    I got this opinion based off of what YOU post.

The truth is you wouldn't say anything but "Yes Sir!" to any cop.

Of course I would be respectful to a leo who was respectful to me...where have I said otherwise!

You leo nuthuggers are so close-minded.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    If I was a member of LOCAL I would be requesting new leadership, as it is painfully obvious Yale is not professional, honest, moral, or a good face for any cause, especially open carrying.

Seconded.

Exactly my point. It is no wonder that the president and vice president of the Monroe LOCAL Chapter both recently resigned citing Steve's leadership skills. The whole organization would be better off with out him.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    I have never once, in this thread, bad mouth any one cop. The fact that you take it upon yourself to be offended for no reason makes me realize who I'm dealing with. I have not stated anything about IQ. If you are indeed a combat medic, I respect the hell out of what you do and the confidence you have to have to do what you do. You are a bit younger than me and because of that you are more aggressive. I get it. It's just a fact of life, but as I age I realize how silly I've been in my younger years. You will too, I promise.

I understand, I just find the statement that these guys are necessary for keeping LEO in check? Again, that is their chain of command and Internal Affairs department that keeps these guys in check.

I honestly was not fishing for any form of thanks, respect or anything, just was merely stating that no, these guys are not necessary to keep LEO in line. They are painting us responsible gun owners as uneducated hillbilly clowns and I will speak up against it anytime one of them goes in way over their heads. Legal fees, nursing program, hey Jack (not you Jack, I'm quoting Si) you have to choose which is more important. If you're doing some vigilante ****, you better have some Bruce Wayne finances to back the legal hassle of what your actions bring upon. Don't go asking for a handout, that's in poor taste. Once again, thed, I know we do not know each other, but I have no ill will towards you, just the comment about these guys being necessary to keep cops in line.

Have a good one kiddos.

meplatgroup

Louisiana's #1 NFA Dealer
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Metairie, La.
    Well, I've already posted my views on open carry in this article http://meplatgroup.com/open-carry-can-you-and-more-importantly-should-you/

However, I do have a few thoughts on this situation. Just a little background on me---I'm a former cop, now an attorney and I used to be an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Louisiana and represented the State Police numerous times in civil rights cases. Take the following for what it's worth, but this isn't my first rodeo.

First, my immediate thought when I read this description was that if I were the trooper I would have questioned this guy as well. It's a sad fact that ambushes against LEO are more and more frequent. You are working a hot scene and someone accross the street is taping you and, upon further investigation, wearing a gun? Yeah, you are going to get questioned. It's a safety issue.

Second, the LSP and law enforcement in general is very aware of people taping and of OC'ers trying to exercise their rights and, in some cases, provoke confrontations. They go to classes on how to handle these situations. I would be shocked if that trooper, knowing there would be a tape of the incident, didn't dot every i and cross every t.

Third, to the young gentleman that made this tape. Get past this and reassess your priorities. You have a family and are trying to become a nurse. I can assure you that unfortunately this arrest will be looked at in the process of your licensing. Leave the provocative exercise of civil rights to the pizza deliverymen and mall/hospital security guards who have not gone to years of schooling and a tremendous amount of expense to earn a license upon which the livelihood of their family depends. You have more going for you than they do and you cannot afford to act in this manner. You are not a hero for doing this. You are not a patriot for doing this. You put your family's future at risk to try and be an internet hero. Grow up.

Finally, is it possible that this story is gospel and that the trooper broke the law---absolutely. However, this story smells worse than Feinstein's chair and I think the set of facts presented at the trial are likely to look very different that what we read here.

Just my opinion.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Second, the LSP and law enforcement in general is very aware of people taping and of OC'ers trying to exercise their rights and, in some cases, provoke confrontations. They go to classes on how to handle these situations. I would be shocked if that trooper, knowing there would be a tape of the incident, didn't dot every i and cross every t.

That is what makes me think there is more to the story but who knows, maybe someone just pissed in that LEO's cheerios earlier in the morning.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom