LA's newest gun/hunting related laws

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    I will update the list as some of these continue to be signed. Did I miss any? The descriptions come from the Bayou Shooter/LSA Legislation blog.

HB16 (Act 341) – changes the CCH Instructor requirements slightly.

HB60 (Act 346) – would no longer recognize out of state permits as being valid for Louisiana residents. If you live here, why not be a hero and get the homestate permit where you might actually learn the rules of carry?

HB68 (Attached to HB1272) – concealed carry in churches (With many restrictions)

HB141 (Act 353) – electronic form filing for certain FFL / Class III transactions.

HB158 (Act 354) – clarifies the time periods before reapplication for a CCH permit when previously revoked or denied.

HB172 (Act 29) – clarifies that electronic sights are acceptable for hunting. Filed at the LSA’s request, this bill is now effective (law). Break out the Aimpoints and EoTechs for this fall!!

HB556 (Act 925) – would allow ONLY valid CCH permit holders to enter the 1,000′ “firearms free” zone around schools though they will still be required to remain OFF of school property.

HB1272 (Act 944) – allows other than conventional ammunition to be used for qualification purposes for the CCH permit. This should open up other venues for training.

HB569 (Act 254) - Provides for hunting outlaw quadrupeds, nutria, and beaver at night

SB174 (Act 771) – would allow former military service members who have been out of the service greater than five years to qualify for the CCH permit upon completion of a reduced training course focusing on LA law and unauthorized access prevention. This is an effort to recognize their service experience. .

SB534 (Act 790) – would allow possession of a firearm in state parks, WMAs and historic sites.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    On or about July 8th (20 days after the bill goes to the Governor), any unsigned bills that have not been vetoed will become law.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    BearIt

Could you be more specific or give me more info on this?

I am currently doing my NRA Certs so would like to know what exactly is changing, thanks brother.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I hope he gets to officially sign them all, but one would think Jindal has his hands full right now.

(And I don't think it has anything to do with playing golf.);)

To all those who were involved (and you know who you are)- thanks so much for the tireless efforts you put into making these things happen. It is greatly appreciated. VERY well done.

-Heat

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    BearIt

Could you be more specific or give me more info on this?

I am currently doing my NRA Certs so would like to know what exactly is changing, thanks brother.

I see Brannon answered it. For other questions, click on the Act number. It links to the documents, where they can be read in full.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Sure it is. It helps keep people who get a FL permit from breaking LA CHP laws due to ignorance. The less stoopid things permit holders do, the less it hurts the whole.

I agree.
    If a life long Baton Rouge man or woman with a Florida permit shoots somebody and it's not a good shoot the media will be all over it. They won't bother to print that he/she had a Florida permit and not a LA. CHP and that they weren't taught anything, not jack **** about LA laws.

Slidell Jim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    I agree.
    If a life long Baton Rouge man or woman with a Florida permit shoots somebody and it's not a good shoot the media will be all over it. They won't bother to print that he/she had a Florida permit and not a LA. CHP and that they weren't taught anything, not jack **** about LA laws.

Let's say the same thing happens from a Georgia resident, with a Fl -non res permit, is here for the weekend, and he was never "taught" the LA laws.... what then. I don't think the media would cut him a break, cause news is news, baby!

I have done the responsible thing as a Fl non-res permit holder that spends quite a bit of time here in LA; I read RS 40:1379 (front to back, a couple of times.) I know it better than the Florida CC statute. I know that I am "RS40:1379.3 T(1) bound by the laws of this state regarding carrying a concealed handgun." I have done my class, read the laws, and capable of safe practice; as anyone should be that has a permit, regardless of residency!

Anyway... I'm arguing uphill since this has already been signed. I feel like I need to go find another loophole, right!?!?

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Why would they not take the class in La. and be legal?

Why would LA not just honor the other permits until they expire, for States they honor through reciprocity?

Sounds to me like they just want to start making money off the permits sooner. I don't see any reason to stop honoring the other permits.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    It's a shitty bill, imo. Likely just another money maker.

Or likely the easiest, most reactionary, ignorant theory.

It's give and take. This was likely a bit of good faith 'give' to grease other bills like HB556. If it had any part in helping sway the LSP's support for HB556 then it's bloody brilliant. Even if that is not the case, there's some very good explanation of the reasoning behind it from members here that are in positions to know better.

Until we have Vermont carry, I'd rather have more freedoms with my resident license. If that is at the cost of those who don't have one, so be it.

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I think it was to keep residents who can't get a permit here from getting a non-resident permit from FL or UT which are honored by reciprocity. But if you're a legal resident of LA you need to have an LA permit.

Top Bottom