M-16 VS AK-47.....Again

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cheese

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Really though, does that one even deserve justification? No clue what kind of ammo, what type of AK, etc. Like Pablo said, there's both shitty AKs and shitty ARs out there that aren't exemplary of the platform.

I know for a fact that it was a WASR. The ammo, (I think!) was Brown Bear steel case. Don't quote me on the ammo, though.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I know for a fact that it was a WASR. The ammo, (I think!) was Brown Bear steel case. Don't quote me on the ammo, though.

Good enough for me. Now that we've set the baseline for the discussion, all AR related comments must be based on an Olympics Arms rifle shooting Wolf ammo. :)

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Good enough for me. Now that we've set the baseline for the discussion, all AR related comments must be based on an Olympics Arms rifle shooting Wolf ammo. :)
    Not really fair since all AK's ARE WASR's with steel case rounds and AR's ARE raceguns that bring you milk and cookies in the winner circle!:chuckles:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Not really fair since all AK's ARE WASR's with steel case rounds and AR's ARE raceguns that bring you milk and cookies in the winner circle!:chuckles:
    649-come-again.jpg

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Can we all just agree that the M14 is superior to either and be done with it?

Heavy.
    Delicate (compared even to the AR10).
    Takes a lot of work just to get a reliable 1MOA 10-shot group out of.
    Where are us lowly internet ninja's going to buy one with the proper USGI parts so we don't have a bunch of issues with out of spec junk? The only alternative is about $24-2800 away, which would buy a much better (in every way) AR based setup.

Maybe you can argue that the .308 round is superior to the 5.56 round, but the M14's was yesteryear's posterchild.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

Nobody told me about ****ing milk and cookies.

WTS/WTT: 2 AK-47s, 1 AK-74, 1 PSL, 1 Saiga 12

Will trade ONLY for Olympic Arms AR race gun (prefer baby blue), milk, cookies

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA

Seriously though... I am soooo glad that I didn't start a similar thread a couple of days ago when I was tempted to post this video and ask for opinions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms

Since someone else started the thread, I'm a little more comfortable putting it out there. I'm not taking a side on this, (I own and love both rifles,) but I thought the video was a bit counterintuitive based on the usual arguments that I hear on the subject. It's a 2009 test, so maybe it's been posted on BS before. I couldn't find it, so sorry if it has.

If you've already seen the above video, then try this one. It has absolutely nothing to do with this thread, but pretty much rocks, Though, the same can't be said about their gun safety techniques.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpn2vIQUB8g

:hi5:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Seriously though... I am soooo glad that I didn't start a similar thread a couple of days ago when I was tempted to post this video and ask for opinions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqRwx4wtmms

That's a lie and you're a liar too!

How about those Haters spamming the Dislike Button :mamoru: How dare he film such a thing!!!

What about this comment on a related video; :rofl:

AK 47, the currency of communism
    jasongutierr 2 weeks ago

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    So...ummm...I'll just leave this here...
    http://www.slip2000.com/patrogers15000.html

AK crowd got anything?

NO f.in WAY

Anybody that has EVER ran an AR or AK for that matter knows that is simply NOT possible, and if it was remotely even true its a "perfect" scenario.

Drop that oily bolt in a windy sandy enviroment and see what happens.

There is a reasson why graphite is one of the best "dry lubes" to this date ...............

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I would like to provide a counterpoint (simply for the sake of it, obviously as you have a platform that works for you and "don't care").

The AR's (M4/A4's) you are used to were running with USGI mags, and a carbine gas system.
    Both of those items are inferior to the new midlength, as well as the PMAG.

Most AR malfunctions are caused by the mag when it comes to feeding. Most extractions are caused either by a dirty/dry gun, or the gas system/extractor.

On a carbine-length gas systems, case obturation has not had nearly as long to subside as with the rifle-length system that it was originally designed for (and much more pressure from the DI system), or the midlength, which while not perfect, is better. This can lead to cases sticking and is why the carbine extractor requires either an extra-strength spring and harder insert, or an O-ring for added tension. Evidence for this can be seen in the dust tests the US military did a few years ago (2006,2007) with the rifle doing better than the carbine.

While what you observed in your service is obviously a problem, with better engineering, the platform has improved greatly

Ok, I'm still running on less than one hour of sleep in the last 48, but I feel better after a shower.
    However, please afford me some tollerence given those circumstances if I am... a little more... direct than earlier.:mamoru:

Kid, I've been nice up to now, but don't you think it's time to stop trying to teach your grandmaw how to suck eggs?

I've used Regular GI mags, HK GI mags, Brit mags, Aftermarket mags, steel mags, P mags...
    Hell, I've got over 100 P mags at the house, and some of the EARLY no tilt followers for the original GI mags I was sent to test.

I've used FN, Colt, Armalite, And all manner of aftermarket. (BTW Pangris and LSP... I've got a Certificate from Gunsite's .223 class that specifies a COLT M4....) ;)

14.5, 16, 18, 20... Havn't messed with a Tubs or many of the target lengths cept a buddies 26 or 28 inch AR
    Also played with some DEA agents 11 (or.something) FA 16's.

Semi, FA, and 3 round burst.

Shorty, Blowback pistol conversions, .22 conversions, carbine length, midlength, disapator, rifle length, and Piston gas systems.

Suppressed and unsuppressed.

.22, .223/5.56, 45, 9mm, 308, 50BMG... Havn't played with the 6.5 or 6.8, but don't have the interest.
    -No I take that back, I played with Barrett's Original prototype (Whichever it was) as well as a preproduction one in .223.

A1, A2, A4, CAR, M4, Commando, etc...

I'll THANK YOU for not ASSumeing you know what I know.

JMHO, YMMV.

M1A's Awesome. Particularly the scout... (I've got a couple) Can't help you with GI parts... I've got my box full!:D
    Problem is, it won;t fit in a tennis racket case.
    But them, nether will an AR.

I'll see your Cav With a 0311, and (Not that it's necessary) raise you a 0321.;)

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    So...ummm...I'll just leave this here...
    http://www.slip2000.com/patrogers15000.html

AK crowd got anything?

Sure. I like Pat, although it's been quite a few years since I took one of his classes.

-Don't quote me, but IIRC hsi defination of 'not cleaning' doesn't include 'wiping off' certain areas while 'relubing' them.

AR's run best WET.

Conversely, I've just built an AK, not even shaken out the metal shards or refinished it and sent it off to a fighting rifle class where it functioned UNLUBED.

As to the other video... Lets leave the safety off so we can pour rocks into the AK action shall we... and THEN do what we can. (And you got the 'it worked THIS TIME' at the geginning of the AR video didn't you?

Want me to do a video proving a Jennings is better than a glock?:rolleyes:

Top Bottom