M-16 VS AK-47.....Again

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    BISHHHHHHHH pleaseeeeeeeeeee this is the SOUTH

Moonshine and Boudin and we have a party lmaooooooooooooo

3rwnsv1atyrurl2kl74t.jpg

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Hey, could we make a sticky out of this thread? Then next time someone stirs the pot, arguing will be a lot easier.

Me: post #32

You: No, post #46

Me: Okay, what about post #61

You: Who cares post #84

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Maybe Redjacket can build an AR with an AK mounted underneath where the Masterkey/M203 normally goes. That sounds like something right up their alley that would settle it once and for all, lol

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Maybe Redjacket can build an AR with an AK mounted underneath where the Masterkey/M203 normally goes. That sounds like something right up their alley that would settle it once and for all, lol

Not a bad idea, but I think it should be an AK with an AR mounted under it, as a less-than-lethal option.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    I myself have been pretty eager to fool with an AK first hand as the only thing I've messed with were WASR's at Cabelas. I have an AR15 however and I enjoy it for what I use it for, a babied weekend plinker. For any use otherwise though, I can't form a reasonable opinion, lol. Only malfunction I ever had was having to knock a Tula shell casing out of the chamber that stuck itself.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Not gonna say much here but you seem alittle outta date PEQ 15 in a invaluable piece of equipment. It is completely bad ass when used with AN/PVS 14, Not to mention the way the IR and tatics used to paint... But I can't get into that too much The M4 is a realiable efective weapon that isn't going away anytime soon. test result after test always come out with yeah the scar is alittle better but not that much and certainly not enough to justify the cost. AK won't even be looked at by our military as it's a old obsolete weapon , Scar ,ACR and couple others I can't remember was all that was considered and scar came out on top but the numbers weren't a landslide or anything. I think in 2013 they want all Renger and special teams to be equiped with SCAR. I wish my wife wouldn't mind me shooting her car so I could make a video to shot what I know as fact that 62 grain green tip goes slap through windshield like butter and into anything at the wheel. Again you have to hit that target but I've been involved to maybe times to hear it won't do it. I remember you saying you had a tracer. Why in a rifle I don't know but anyways the burning tracer tip will go all over and often give the spearence that but bullet bounces deflects of hell sometimes goes straight up.. That is just the burning tip not the round doing it as I explain to my privates.

"Lasers"... Personal choice. And yea, I know a thing or 2 about painting targets.
    Tracers: While I would load up a few... that was a 249... Could see the rounds, not just the tracers.

I see your point, but the military is doing exactly what I am saying they are doing, and justifying it the same way I say they are. Arguing about it is like arguing over whether or not you like the sun shining roughly half the time. All those NAVSEA reports I have posted, well, that's coming down the chain.

The new SOST ammo is nice stuff, too. I hope to shoot some hogs with it, since haji lives a ways away, someone else will have to do that one.

I take what is learned in/observed from combat and dissected by those who study it. As you can see from this thread, multiple people who saw combat have entirely different things to say--that is to say, that in combat, NOTHING goes the same each time. Forming inferences based from it are difficult at best sometimes. As we see here, 2 people have had 2 different experiences with the same platform. I suppose what I am trying to say is that if I want to find out the best round to punch through a windshield, a lab is a better place than the battleground. Then you take that round onto the battleground and see what it does. That is the point that the SOST round is at, and that is how the magazines that are now being shipped came to be--the US military dust trials began in late 2006 in a lab setting.

You need both to gain a comprehensive understanding of things. Sadly (or not?) I chose not to enlist, so I am stuck with the lab side of things and 2nd hand reports from friends. (well, 2nd hand to me, experience to them).

All of these "dry" and "useless" studies are the way that improved equipment finds is way back to the end user who has complained about various things. EXACTLY how to improve it is explored in the lab, and then fielded in various quantity for testing under fire, as it were. You need both. I can relate this to the medical profession, maybe you can't, but it's what I do, so I will. We needed clinical time with patients. We ALSO needed "lab-time" with "dry, boring" paper, books, and formulas.

Prediction: The SOST ammunition shows much better barrier performance, and takes MUCH LESS time to fragment in a living target and various other simulated tissue than M855. We will soon see reports as such coming from end-users in the field.

Now, I'll sit back and see how that goes. We already know MK262 was regarded as successful, and that is how it came about, but it still sucked on barriers.

There's trends... They are often ignored. As they have been since the 60's.

When reality doesn't match your expectations/lab stuff... throw out the lab stuff.

2 things, first I forgot: Those guys in classes were dropping over a grand on tuition, to say nothing of ammo travel costs, time off etc.
    WERE NOT running cheap AR's.

About your thought about renting out an AR here...

Tactical Response: Yeager told me that they BARELY break even on their rental AR's (Parts breaking...needing replaced) and MAKE money on their AK's.
    -Good quality AR's but not the expensive one you want to build and test.

Tells me the answer to your question.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom