Re: Reposts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Some people cause trouble and it's followed by mass bans of anyone who had a high profile who wasn't part of the in crowd. It's a purge of the trouble makers along with anyone taking attention away from the cool kids.

And that my friends is the problem in a nut shell. Not that there not enough rules but that they've never been evenly enforced. I've had moderators bait me to say stuff in the past on this site. If I were to rise to the occasion than I'd be the difficult one. I stay despite some the people that have put in charge in the past b/c I like the rest of the regular types. I even liked many of the people who were permanently banned. In fact I can't remember any post where some of those individuals ever berated a new shooter and made them feel stupid.

The reason the experts won't come here is b/c our resident experts can't discuss only argue. They cannot welcome someone who doesn't agree with what they learned in classes. Too much testosterone.

Dave

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    So, more of the same.

Some people cause trouble and it's followed by mass bans of anyone who had a high profile who wasn't part of the in crowd. It's a purge of the trouble makers along with anyone taking attention away from the cool kids.

I would venture to say that everyone on that permanently banned list has a very legitimate reason to be banned. The problem is, many of the "high profile" members, consistently do things which bend the rules and stir the pot. Many of those people got their high profile in this way, take hunh bruh for example. One of the issues that come with being highly seen, is being highly seen. If you screw up, everyone sees it. I would suggest this is the reason for the banning of anyone "taking attention away from the cool kids."

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    This website is a business forum. It attracts business to the participating/paying businesses via attracting posters. if the environment is in any way compromised, the paying sponsors are no longer getting bang for their buck, administration is notified, business consider not renewing with the site, etc. Thus, the environment for the selling of goods and services is paramount. This is just my .02 on it watching from the outside.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Your objections are duly noted and you are welcome to your opinions and perceptions as long as they are civil.

I'm attempting to be the model of civility. My objections are old and well documented. But people who are part of the problem never see the forest for the trees. They blame something else.

I have no desire to see this website fail. The hits it gets the more it can charge for advertising. I hope that's where the majority of the money comes into the business.

I've said my piece and if no one else comments on it or draws me into further conversation on the subject I'm content to end it here.

Dave

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I've been hearing (or reading, rather) about changes on the forum about rules, and such. Am I missing something? Did something happen?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    All new mods, reinforced rules, 1/2 dozen or so perma-bans, don't use the report post button for anything other than major infractions (it was compared to dialing 911).

Basically the old mods were getting 50-70 complaints a day from a handful of posters, and they wanted to get things in check.

I was just messin with you bout the name, kinda liked just Dave myself.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    This website is a business forum. It attracts business to the participating/paying businesses via attracting posters. if the environment is in any way compromised, the paying sponsors are no longer getting bang for their buck, administration is notified, business consider not renewing with the site, etc. Thus, the environment for the selling of goods and services is paramount. This is just my .02 on it watching from the outside.

And that is what I heard happened. Sponsors said we are not going to sponsore anymore unless this person and that person are gone. But whatever, I don't care

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville

Translated: No Sponsors. No BS.COM

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Translated: No Sponsors. No BS.COM
    That's what I see. Whatever action is necessary to save the site (retain sponsors) will be taken, or the site will obviously go under, as originally planned. This was/is a last-ditch attempt to save it. Cutting off the infected limb, so to speak, and having a 1-legged man vs. a dead man.

My question is this...how much does it really cost to run this forum? I have no idea as to such things. How much, if any, is the required profit margin for the site to be considered a successful business venture, and is this site more of a forum for discussion, or is it more of a business venture, which, if it fails to produce "X" amount of profit will be abandoned? Up until recent changes were made, I viewed the site like most local sites, just a place to hang out, talk, etc. However, it seems like this site exists for profit and discussion is just the lubricant of the money-machine, and when the lube fills with shavings, you replace it or junk the machine, if necessary.

This brings me to another point. If the machine gets junked, all of the thousands of dollars paid in membership fee's per year...what happens to that? The payment of membership fees is based on the expectation of a return (Fee's used to support the forum, in turn, which will allow the user to access the forum). If BS is shut down, are membership fees pro-rated and the credit-cards of the user credited back, or is a check mailed, or is there some fine-print in the membership contract that says, perhaps, that all membership fees are considered a "donation" and thus not contingent upon any kind of action of the site owner/administration to honor their value? From a legal standpoint, $20-100 on my part is a moot point, but stack up a hundred people like me, and that $20-100 per person becomes a rather significant figure.

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    That's what I see. Whatever action is necessary to save the site (retain sponsors) will be taken, or the site will obviously go under, as originally planned. This was/is a last-ditch attempt to save it. Cutting off the infected limb, so to speak, and having a 1-legged man vs. a dead man.

My question is this...how much does it really cost to run this forum? I have no idea as to such things. How much, if any, is the required profit margin for the site to be considered a successful business venture, and is this site more of a forum for discussion, or is it more of a business venture, which, if it fails to produce "X" amount of profit will be abandoned? Up until recent changes were made, I viewed the site like most local sites, just a place to hang out, talk, etc. However, it seems like this site exists for profit and discussion is just the lubricant of the money-machine, and when the lube fills with shavings, you replace it or junk the machine, if necessary.

This brings me to another point. If the machine gets junked, all of the thousands of dollars paid in membership fee's per year...what happens to that? The payment of membership fees is based on the expectation of a return (Fee's used to support the forum, in turn, which will allow the user to access the forum). If BS is shut down, are membership fees pro-rated and the credit-cards of the user credited back, or is a check mailed, or is there some fine-print in the membership contract that says, perhaps, that all membership fees are considered a "donation" and thus not contingent upon any kind of action of the site owner/administration to honor their value? From a legal standpoint, $20-100 on my part is a moot point, but stack up a hundred people like me, and that $20-100 per person becomes a rather significant figure.

Are you concerned there would be a class action law suit against spanky?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Server space to run a site like this isn't cheap, I would venture to guess the server bill alone is $300-$500 a month to handle the traffic on Bayoushooter.com.

Should the site owner take a loss to operate this forum? I have seen quite a few forums "given" to the community to support and run and I can't think of one that succeeded. I have seen botched T shirt sales, membership drives, "Site Presidents" holding the bag to pay the server bill when money isn't there. Really, a for profit forum isn't a bad thing.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I'm trying very hard to counsel the new guys to put on a velvet glove but apparently someone else just earned a three day vacation.

Seriously, modding for free sucked but admin is worse particularly when there is stuff flying both directions.

Sincere thanks for all the kind words from members who like the changes they see.

Hi! :wavey:

You know me, sticking my nose in places it may get bitten off. But this comment has kept pulling me back.

It's a little ambiguous. Did the mod not use gloves and earned his vacation, or did the mod overstep his role and smack someone down?

And that's entirely rhetorical Paul, I don't need the answer. But what you did was put the idea that there is internal squabbling out there. My two cents: Charles meant well, but he commented on a moderator decision. The thread in question listed who was banned by name. And wow. That was a big list. There is some natural bewilderment towards change and maybe this was more damaging to the cause, than good. We're here debating something that shouldn't be debated. Rules are firm. No discussion. If someone is upset because they disagree with the rule, would that change your mind? Instead here is a thread that has people arguing two sides for naught.

My suggestion is to sticky everything in one go. Get it over with. Like a band aid and then move on. No discussion. If a person is moderated, they take it to pm. No moderator discussion allowed. Mod says cease. There isn't a "why" in the thread. Take it to pm because everybody and their brother (and sister) has to weigh in.

Discussion is good, but not when people get hurt, upset and ultimately fighting about something that doesn't change. I mean... Where was the good here? Debate is fine when it helps the site grow, or educate people on gun issues. But senseless argument divides. :(

And honestly... I have faith in y'all. When I hear that it's flying among the staff, it's a little like hearing Mom and Dad fight. Ya know?

Last edited:
    G

gunguy11

How about we just get it all out in the open. I'm down for some fight club.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    My bad - not internal squabble.

I've asked mods to use a velvet glove and thats no secret.

Nonetheless, a user with a reputation for poking the bear made it a point to poke the bear and earned a vacation. I don't disagree with the decision. My point was that even if we are trying to be kinder and gentler there will still be folks who insist on breaking rules.

My bad for not being clear.

To be sure there is spirited discussion in the back office about a variety of topics but it is all for the better.

:)

Well... I still think allowing the discussion about site changes and moderator decisions is abad idea because you get this kind of thread. But I'm glad it's going to shake out for the better.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom