Re: Reposts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I've thoug about making a donation. The reason I haven't in the past was certain mods kept braking rules that they would get on to others about. I will wait and see how the new mods are and re visit maybe making a donation. If things work out I will be happy to make a donation. Point is I understand why others would not

Sandman - My reply was not targeting nonpaying members. It was the reason NOLA gave for not becoming a member. :)

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    We have something similar, it's called 'Current Events' :pbut a thread just so folks can spit at eachother? Hmm ...

But it is just another section in amongst the others. Available to all. So it is no different. The BUNKER is surprisingly civil. I guess because you are on your own. You don't have mommy
    to run to.
    There are just a very few rules that are listed when you get inside. My computer limitations being what they are I will email them to you.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    But it is just another section in amongst the others. Available to all. So it is no different. The BUNKER is surprisingly civil. I guess because you are on your own. You don't have mommy
    to run to.
    There are just a very few rules that are listed when you get inside. My computer limitations being what they are I will email them to you.

We had exactly that, it was called the Assylum. Mods spent half their time moving posts there, and eventually it just died off (no one was going there). More work, and in the end it added nothing to the site.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I'm sure this has been discussed before. . . . but. . .

Would it be that difficult or expensive to employ a classifieds system that has required fillable fields?

"For Sale" "For Trade" "Wanted"
    "Price"
    "Description"
    "Zip Code"
    "Attach Picture" "Link to Picture"
    "Contact Info"

Not saying that's what I want, but it seems like it would keep all of the wannabe mods and tire kickers from getting their panties in a wad.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Also re donations, it's been awhile since I donated, but my donations to the site were simply that, a "donation."

If Spanky shuts down I would be upset but I wouldn't expect a refund.

I guess you could argue you "purchased" a "membership" but really all it is is a bold name and a colored star, since you can already be a member for free. Whoopee.

I would, however, like to have a different color name so I can be fancy like all of the cool people ;) Maybe purple for BayouShooter royalty. :mamoru:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I'm sure this has been discussed before. . . . but. . .

Would it be that difficult or expensive to employ a classifieds system that has required fillable fields?

"For Sale" "For Trade" "Wanted"
    "Price"
    "Description"
    "Zip Code"
    "Attach Picture" "Link to Picture"
    "Contact Info"

Not saying that's what I want, but it seems like it would keep all of the wannabe mods and tire kickers from getting their panties in a wad.

Well you're actually talking about two separate things. Some of those can be mandatory via the profile information. Like unless it's filled out, you cannot register etc. For pre-existing accounts it would remain blank unless filled in.

For Drop Down boxes, your talking software upgrades. Money + Time + Programmer etc. None of that is going to happen too soon if at all but believe me, it's BEEN on the MoD board for sometime and continues to be looked into.

Truth is, I think the Market Place has been on the rise as for as compliance goes. Now with almost a dozen Mods attached to it, even better. It'll get faster as the new staff learn the ropes of their abilities when it comes to modding that section. If of course BS875 doesn't eat it first. He's done a swell job there for sure. Most times after receiving a reported post e-mail, it was handled before I got to it, even if I was only 20 minutes behind.

Software Upgrades with drop down boxes would be sweet looking though for sure :D … If we could program it to where the Topic could not be submitted unless the boxes were filled you could indeed slash the amount of bad topics severely. BUT I don't how you'd program a 'no image filter'.

Last edited:

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    - and if you want to say fighting words to someones face, BS.com doesn't need to be a part of that.

My response was a suggestion of one way that may be helpful in keeping offensive posts away from the public eye.
    In no way was it intended to create an area in which one would be encouraged to post offensive or threatening content.
    Since my earlier posts I have seen that this road was already traveled without success so obviously a moot point.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Personally, I don't agree with the pic requirement. A lot of people post a stock picture, which is just about pointless and nothing more than a "loophole" we've created.

I personally wouldn't buy something without seeing pics first, but that's the seller's problem. If they're too lazy or incapable of taking/posting pics, I say oh well and good luck selling your item.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Personally, I don't agree with the pic requirement. A lot of people post a stock picture, which is just about pointless and nothing more than a "loophole" we've created.

I personally wouldn't buy something without seeing pics first, but that's the seller's problem. If they're too lazy or incapable of taking/posting pics, I say oh well and good luck selling your item.
    Yeah I see what your saying but just don't care if I see every Glock or M&P or XD in near new condition. If it's a high end item or is advertised as a item with wear then sure I'd wanna see. I plan to look it over before handing cash for sure anyways and with guns type mentioned all that is is nego room anyhow. I could see the stock pic to give you idea of what it looks like. But really in this day and age is it that hard to post a actual pic?

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    I think the forum needs to continue the way it is, now.

Good moderators will stay on top the threads and discussions, applying removals and punishments at their discretion.

A thread that steps over the line of a moderator's sensibilities gets removed. It doesn't have to be sent to a special section. If it isn't suitable to the desired nature of the site, it needs to be permanently removed.

If a member steps over the line, they need to be removed.

It is all quite simple. Moderators need to moderate at their discretion. If the membership feels a moderator is abusing his authority or taking away from the site, site management replaces him/her.

I don't see why some members have been so upset lately.

This board was designed to be an outlet of like minded individuals under Spanky's discretion.

If you don't agree with the restrictions on certain discussions, or the way the site is moderated, oh well. Accept the fact that this forum is not for you, and find one of the thousands of online forums that cater to your interest.

I think the biggest issue is that some people want to believe that BS.com should be a convenient, one stop shop for all their social needs, and that each topic should have an outlet to share discussion, and all topics should be open to discussion. That's not the intent of the site, though. It is here for the purpose of firearms, shooting sports and issues involving them. It was never meant to be an outlet for fringe politics, conspiracy theories and other such non-firearm related topics. As a convenience, Spanky has created additional forum spaces for the more popular topics, but he isn't required to do so.

If these topics begin to take away, or dominate, the site, then it needs to be shutdown or stopped.

That's all that is going on now, the management is trying to reorient the forum to its desired nature.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Good moderators will stay on top the threads and discussions, applying removals and punishments at their discretion.

A thread that steps over the line of a moderator's sensibilities gets removed. It doesn't have to be sent to a special section. If it isn't suitable to the desired nature of the site, it needs to be permanently removed.

It is all quite simple. Moderators need to moderate at their discretion. If the membership feels a moderator is abusing his authority or taking away from the site, site management replaces him/her.

This board was designed to be an outlet of like minded individuals under Spanky's discretion.

If you don't agree with the restrictions on certain discussions, or the way the site is moderated, oh well. Accept the fact that this forum is not for you, and find one of the thousands of online forums that cater to your interest.

I think the biggest issue is that some people want to believe that BS.com should be a convenient, one stop shop for all their social needs, and that each topic should have an outlet to share discussion, and all topics should be open to discussion. That's not the intent of the site, though. It is here for the purpose of firearms, shooting sports and issues involving them. It was never meant to be an outlet for fringe politics, conspiracy theories and other such non-firearm related topics. As a convenience, Spanky has created additional forum spaces for the more popular topics, but he isn't required to do so.

If these topics begin to take away, or dominate, the site, then it needs to be shutdown or stopped.

That's all that is going on now, the management is trying to reorient the forum to its desired nature.

Well said ...
    AnimatedBravoSmiley.gif

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco

Hey man, Sucking up will get you nowhere.... Wait a min..... Scratch that.....

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    This is what I would consider trouble brewing... #44.

This might make the last two post in that thread his, both of which were made merely to throw a little gas on the fire.

So no rules broken 'per-say' but it definitely gets the sharks swarming.

tick...tock...

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana

For the most part, this is where I see the sight going.

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

This is well written and I agree with what he's saying almost to the letter.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom