Updates and Improvements Part 3

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Well, if people like posts, it will help that user's reputation on the forum go up (the little green bar under your name). Also, if a post gets a certain number of thumbs down, it hides it where you have to click a dropdown to view it.

How many down votes to get something hidden?

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I know the topic has moved away from this, but I'm just now checking the thread again.

I can see how paid sponsors may see this as unfair, but I don't see it really taking away from their business. Plus, paid advertisers get banner ads and their name all over the site. Someone offering a service would be relying on a person visiting the service board, seeing their thread, and needing that service. The exposure is a mere fraction of what a paid sponsor gets.

What if there was a guy out there who did really great wood engraving work. He doesn't have the money, time or work load to open his own shop. If he posted his service on bayoushooter he only expects a request every couple of months. Knowing that he doesn't have a reputation or master engraver designation he decides to only charge $50 for the work. So, the ad account isn't worth it. However, the membership would be missing out on a great value if they never knew this guy was doing what he does.

If there was a sponsor who also engraved stocks every member would know about them because they have seen his ad all over the sight, maybe visited his business' board on the forum and seen all the great work he does. They would know he is an established business and has a reputation on the board for the quality of work he produces. And most of the business for stock engraving would flow in that direction. But for the few people who happen to want their stock engraved, and happen to stumble into the services/customizations section, and happen to see the amateur engravers thread, and happen to be in the position where they are unwilling to pay the sponsor's price to have their stock engraved but at $50 it is worth it; the amateur engraver is a great value for them.

The 'services' section on AR15.com, which has a larger membership as well as national exposure, only has 38 threads in it. Half of those are probably abandoned. They also have a lot of sponsors, and big name sponsors, who don't seem to care about it. I'm probably in the minority here, but I think something like this could be very beneficial to the membership. So, I figured I'd give it one last go and let it rest. :)

AR-15 isn't really a fair comparison to here. The sponsors there are a lot bigger than here. They are interested in how many unique views their banner gets for how much money. Most of their sponsors are selling a product not a service. If our sponsors were gander mountain, larue, BCM, DD, etc. then I would think of this as a more reasonable idea, but they aren't.

Not all of the sponsors here have a banner, a lot of them don't. Part of the product Bayoushooter is selling them is the ability to advertise their business here, allowing others to do so detracts from the product being sold. In addition, our sponsors paid for their status as a sponsor, with the understanding that the ability to advertise would be exclusive to site sponsors. Basically, changing the rules on this would be taking away something they've already paid for. Obviously I'm not the final word on this type of thing, but I feel confident in saying it won't be happening.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    AR-15 isn't really a fair comparison to here. The sponsors there are a lot bigger than here. They are interested in how many unique views their banner gets for how much money. Most of their sponsors are selling a product not a service. If our sponsors were gander mountain, larue, BCM, DD, etc. then I would think of this as a more reasonable idea, but they aren't.

Not all of the sponsors here have a banner, a lot of them don't. Part of the product Bayoushooter is selling them is the ability to advertise their business here, allowing others to do so detracts from the product being sold. In addition, our sponsors paid for their status as a sponsor, with the understanding that the ability to advertise would be exclusive to site sponsors. Basically, changing the rules on this would be taking away something they've already paid for. Obviously I'm not the final word on this type of thing, but I feel confident in saying it won't be happening.

And I feel confident in seconding you on that.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville

Then in all fairness I'm going to create a thread that allows members to post their services they can offer in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So, people are already abusing the post rating system I see. I hope I do not have to address this again, actually, I hoped I didn't have to address it at all, but I will. Don't be stupid. Just don't. Don't start games you won't win.

2zs1toi.png

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Isn't that a perfect example of the shortcomings of that idea.

Now someone has to decide, "Gee, so and so didn't really dislike that post. I'll just change it."

Or, the rep will be dependent on who can assemble the biggest voting block/faction/clique.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Yes. But the shortcomings are very easily resolved.

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    View of classifieds by geographic region.
    Lots of people I talk to in my area don't use BS because most items are in NO/BR. Many people don't like dealing with shipping or traveling long distances to make a deal. If there were a section for each region, folks could see what was for sale around them. Another benefit is sponsorship. A potential sponsor in Shreveport is not likely to spend advertising dollars on a site when most of its members are down south.

Kinda a catch 22 though, isn't it? People don't post because there's no one in their area. However, if more people from that area posted who don't because of that, there'd be people from there posting. ;)

God, that made my head hurt.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    So, people are already abusing the post rating system I see. I hope I do not have to address this again, actually, I hoped I didn't have to address it at all, but I will. Don't be stupid. Just don't. Don't start games you won't win.

2zs1toi.png

So the post rating system isn't a do you "like" or "dislike" a post, but rather it's is this post "helpful" or "not helpful"?

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Then in all fairness I'm going to create a thread that allows members to post their services they can offer in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Rule 6: Request approval for all advertising

Our forum is able to stay in existence thanks to the sale of advertising space. If you would like to advertise please contact a member of the moderating staff.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Isn't that a perfect example of the shortcomings of that idea.

Now someone has to decide, "Gee, so and so didn't really dislike that post. I'll just change it."

Or, the rep will be dependent on who can assemble the biggest voting block/faction/clique.

I think you're taking this way too seriously. The rep doesn't give you any features or advantages to anyone. The ratings are going to be moving a lot now, they've just been put in, people like playing with new toys. Rep systems are VERY common on forums and while there will be abuses, that is certainly no different than the I-Trader feedback and the posting system itself. An occasional abuse isn't a good reason to remove something. If it becomes more than occasional, then it may need a second look.

I have a nagging suspicion that some members didn't realize we can see who leaves feedback for who. Abuses will be addressed.

Top Bottom